Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

E Boost ll ??

Old 04-28-2008, 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E Boost ll ??

I have the E Boost ll on my car and every since I put the APS twin kit it seems to not work right.
I can run 8.5 pounds rock steady off the wastegate springs with a line run to the turbo with no problem. The problem comes when I tried to increase the boost. it spikes to around 11 and sometimes 14 pounds then drops off to 5 pounds. I am useing the 2 port method #2 that should allow a increased boost from stock spring level. I am useing 1 solenoid and 2 t fitttings from the 2 waste gates I have both top ports running to a T then to port # 1 on the solenoid. both bottom ports running to a T then to port # 3. and one boost referance from 1 turbo going to port #2 with the other boost referance nipple blocked off.
I have the e Boost ll setpoint values set to 0 per instructions because I am expecting it to make more than 8 Pounds of boost like this but it is making less. I would think it would start out at more than 8 and maybe peak out at like 16 or higherbut I have not raised the set point values yet.

my OBS is set to 20 pounds so it should not be a problem
Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

what is your gate pressure?

make sure the solenoid is connected electrically. and the pins have not pulled partially out behind the gauge.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

i asked peter what he suggested and set mine up as he said. havent tested it however. he said to run port 1 to a tee and to the top of each wastegate and port 3 to a boost reference. vent port 2

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-28-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

didnt some1 post a really kewl looking diagram of hooking up eboost to twins..?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like something isn't right. If I remember correctly, when all values are set to 0, the controller is off and the system should work off the spring. I'd double check installation first. Being a single guy, I can't offer much help there. If everything checks out, I'd start adding to the SP until you get close to what you want to run. Add to GP until it starts to over shoot your SP, then back it down a little. You fine tune with the SEN.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Have you checked to make sure you're not collapsing the intake ducts? Wouldn't think it would ever be less than the gate spring.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 10secsts
Have you checked to make sure you're not collapsing the intake ducts? Wouldn't think it would ever be less than the gate spring.
it is doing fine at 8.5 PSI but i have not checked with the E-Boost ll hooked up. Kinda hard to look at it while driving it , I will have to figure out how to get a video of it while it is on the Dyno or something.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Hey, Darren...

Is it possible that your BOV setup is fine holding the 8.5 psi but is venting the increased boost commanded by the controller?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RW99
Hey, Darren...

Is it possible that your BOV setup is fine holding the 8.5 psi but is venting the increased boost commanded by the controller?

could be
I don't really know
it is the stock APS cheap plastic Bypass valves
Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Coal Mining Director

Look at the attached diagram. Now forget about the open tee's at the Tial gates in the diagram since they are not needed even though they worked. This is for 2 solenoids and two Tial wastegates. Is your EB2 hooked up the same way but with one solenoid?
Attached Thumbnails E Boost ll ??-img_1544-20-28large-29.jpg  
Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

I ended up buying another noid but still couldnt get past 12.5 psi. Never hit 20 psi
Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
Look at the attached diagram. Now forget about the open tee's at the Tial gates in the diagram since they are not needed even though they worked. This is for 2 solenoids and two Tial wastegates. Is your EB2 hooked up the same way but with one solenoid?
nope
that looks like the 2 port method 1 one in the E-Boost manual
I am doing 2 port method 2
I will try to Sketch it out, scan it in and post it up.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
I ended up buying another noid but still couldnt get past 12.5 psi. Never hit 20 psi
I will try to get my first dyno pull posted up. it made over 800 RWHP at 20.4 pounds of boost at 4900 RPM and was still climbing. I don't know what was wrong with it.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Darren P
nope
that looks like the 2 port method 1 one in the E-Boost manual
I am doing 2 port method 2
I will try to Sketch it out, scan it in and post it up.
Change it to my drawing and it will work. I've used this method on 4 different turbo systems and it holds boost at whatever I set it.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Coal Mining Director

One other comment....a boost controller can not lower boost below the gate spring. An 8.5 spring will give 8.5psi minimum...controller can take it up to 17ish psi but not down to 5 psi.

Also, the "number" for boost control in EB2 is solenoid duty cycle not boost psi....foe example I tuned a car last Thursday and had to set the EB2 at "57" to get 17.2 psi.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

One other comment....a boost controller can not lower boost below the gate spring. An 8.5 spring will give 8.5psi minimum...controller can take it up to 17ish psi but not down to 5 psi.
I know. I do not understand why it is making less than 8.5 PSI.

Also, the "number" for boost control in EB2 is solenoid duty cycle not boost psi....foe example I tuned a car last Thursday and had to set the EB2 at "57" to get 17.2 psi.

I have not had any problems with the E-Boost before now. Ran it for 2 years on my single turbo setup at many boost settings. I will try it this weekend and see how it works. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Onfire
i am thinking that since I have 2 turbos I should be able to just run a line from each turbo to the side port on each wastegate with only 1 tee in each one that runs to the solenoid.
do I need 2 solenoids to run it like this or can I get by with 1
the more that I look at this diagram the more confused that I get. Maybe I have been up to long.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few things guys. Darren your problem now is it won't make over 8.5? I thought you said it went to 20psi? Confused!

If it won't go over 8.5 you might have a boost leak. I dont like the clamps on the aps setup.They are crap. They should be supplying band clamps not worm clamps and will be replacing my clamps for sure.
You maybe should boost leak the car if you can't go over 8.5 now. You can use automotive smoke machine or make a boost leak tester from home hardware parts and an air compressor.

As said the 7.5 stock springs shouldn't reallly allow much more than 15psi or so.You can see what they allow by carefully running no controller and no line to the gates.I wish JM would disconnect his lines and see how high that boost would go and get some dyno numbers at higher boost on his setup so will know for sure if should trade guy for his bigger turbos over my smaller ones. Easier to the the trade up with mine not used yet.

The tials are normally pretty good gates.

And also want to know what diagram to use and if need two solenoids as also wanted to go with eboost2.
T
Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Coal Mining Director

Here's a twin Tial gate with one solenoid. OK to use one solenoid...may take a higher duty cycle to get the desired boost...ie two solenoids might require an EB2 setting of 40 to get 17psi, one solenoid maight require an EB2 setting of 55 to get 17psi since the solenoid has to work a little harder by bypassing boost.
Attached Thumbnails E Boost ll ??-img-large-.jpg  
Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
A few things guys. Darren your problem now is it won't make over 8.5? I thought you said it went to 20psi? Confused!

If it won't go over 8.5 you might have a boost leak. I dont like the clamps on the aps setup.They are crap. They should be supplying band clamps not worm clamps and will be replacing my clamps for sure.
You maybe should boost leak the car if you can't go over 8.5 now. You can use automotive smoke machine or make a boost leak tester from home hardware parts and an air compressor.

As said the 7.5 stock springs shouldn't reallly allow much more than 15psi or so.You can see what they allow by carefully running no controller and no line to the gates.I wish JM would disconnect his lines and see how high that boost would go and get some dyno numbers at higher boost on his setup so will know for sure if should trade guy for his bigger turbos over my smaller ones. Easier to the the trade up with mine not used yet.

The tials are normally pretty good gates.

And also want to know what diagram to use and if need two solenoids as also wanted to go with eboost2.
T
It made 20.4 psi on the first do not know if it would hold that much boost or not. When it spun the tires on the dyno we let out. we could not get it to repeat it either so I don't know. At that point we un-hooked the E-Boost ll ,ran it off the Wastegate springs and it made 8.5 pounds just fine. I am now trying to get the E-Boost ll to work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E Boost ll ??