Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSX is ready to be dropped in tomorrow (PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i remeber correctly, only the positive cable is bolted to the starter, the other one is the ground you bolt to the crank sensor bolt and not to the other starter terminal. i think that's what caused your BBQ
Old 09-06-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sending you a PM on the relocation Kit
Old 09-06-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

K yes there is not ground that goes to the starter... I just verified that
Old 09-06-2008, 01:15 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Oh man...

You need to check and double check every bit of that harness you can. Alternator positive,etc. I really hope what you have there is all of the damage.

But if you did that to that thick gauge wire.... Think of how easy the rest of the harness could of been damaged.

You're missing a ground somewhere, or you have something hooked up backwards somewhere. Unfortunately it's pretty damn hard to tell even with pics. You're going to have to backtrack all you're work.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
if i remeber correctly, only the positive cable is bolted to the starter, the other one is the ground you bolt to the crank sensor bolt and not to the other starter terminal. i think that's what caused your BBQ
x2
This shorted the battery through the starter solenoid to ground when engaged.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Yep, that's it. I had the batterys ground go straight to the starters ground.

So just to double check, the battery ground goes to the block? That would be it for sure. What goes to the other terminal on the starter then?

By the way, the starters good too, I just had it checked. I can't believe it didn't get fried too.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

nothing goes to the other one. you should have one purple wire, and the positive. The other one should have a strap that goes from the solenoid to the starter. I hope that helps
Old 09-06-2008, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
nothing goes to the other one. you should have one purple wire, and the positive. The other one should have a strap that goes from the solenoid to the starter. I hope that helps
Wow, I'm an idiot sometimes
Old 09-06-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I burnt a car to the ground doing the exact same thing trust me, I understand completely
Old 09-06-2008, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
I burnt a car to the ground doing the exact same thing trust me, I understand completely
Man I'm just glad someone figured it out before I hooked it up again and something worse happened. It's really not that hard of a mistake to make, the two cables are right there by the starter and the two terminals on the starter look like they get something hooked up to them. Both of them had the nut that holds the cable on because I always put the nut back on when I remove cables so I don't loose them. Now that I'm thinking back, I was wondering how the other terminals nut got put back on so tight because I usually just put them on half way. That would be why, I never took that nut off before. Anyway thanks a ton.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not a problem
Old 09-06-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
As has been stated, the alternator does NOT have a ground...just 12V hot going to the battery and an exciter wire coming in from the top to set the voltage.
Originally Posted by ChevyChad
The alternator does not have a ground to it.
Originally Posted by CamaroSS19
There are a few grounds there is the one to the block form behind the alt to the driverside the one from behind the /ac compressor to the body ( the one missing on my friends car that caused a slow crank) and the ones on the back of the head on the drivers side to the harness .

I would just make sure you have a ground on each side of the block then check the one for the harness.

Also did you leave the meter on the bat as you were cranking it to se if the starter is just drawing to much current

I never stated the alt had a gorund atached to it . From the block to the driverside, location on the block form behind the alt (alt as a general location to refrence ).

I guess I just couldnt put into words properly
Old 09-06-2008, 06:09 PM
8 Second Club

loool , don't worry about it , you caught it just in time .
and don't feel bad; i guarantee you almost everyone on this board has had some sort of starter wiring problem that made them remeber how to wire it properly ( i learned the hard way last week )

now on to the rest of the car!
Old 09-06-2008, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

I never stated the alt had a gorund atached to it . From the block to the driverside, location on the block form behind the alt (alt as a general location to refrence ).

I guess I just couldnt put into words properly
When everyone mentioned grounding the block, I thought that just ment the block needed to be grounded not the actual negative from the battery to the block. If it was just a ground back there, it wouldn't matter where I put it, that's why I just hooked a cable from the block to the frame. Everyone was mentioning reversed connections on the starter, you cant reverse the small purple and the large hot because they are totally different size terminals. No one mentioned there should NOT be a ground on the starter untill after the damage was done.
It's cool though, everyone was trying to help and I got it fixed now. Doing things for the first time with no instructions, your bound to run into a problem here and there. The new cables only cost me $18 so no big deal.
Thanks for everyones help.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
loool , don't worry about it , you caught it just in time .
and don't feel bad; i guarantee you almost everyone on this board has had some sort of starter wiring problem that made them remeber how to wire it properly ( i learned the hard way last week )

now on to the rest of the car!
Thanks, it just sucks to make mistakes.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rufretic
When everyone mentioned grounding the block, I thought that just ment the block needed to be grounded not the actual negative from the battery to the block. If it was just a ground back there, it wouldn't matter where I put it, that's why I just hooked a cable from the block to the frame. Everyone was mentioning reversed connections on the starter, you cant reverse the small purple and the large hot because they are totally different size terminals. No one mentioned there should NOT be a ground on the starter untill after the damage was done.
It's cool though, everyone was trying to help and I got it fixed now. Doing things for the first time with no instructions, your bound to run into a problem here and there. The new cables only cost me $18 so no big deal.
Thanks for everyones help.
Yeah diags over the cpu are hard .gald it worked out cause thats a sweet set up you got there
Old 09-06-2008, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah diags over the cpu are hard .gald it worked out cause thats a sweet set up you got there
Thanks.

Unfortunatly I'm not done diagnosing the electrical yet. The starter is now good, I tried it with infector fuses pulled and coils unpluged. It just spins the engine and no bad engine sounds which is good. Decided to try it with everything hooked up and see if it would start. Nothing, just like it spun the engine without spark & fuel. No pop or anything, the engine actually spins very quite, no noise at all really. I know it's spinning though because my girl was watching the crank while I was trying to start it. I know I'm getting fuel to the injectors because fuel pressure is good but I'm not sure on the injectors. They were the same ones that were on when the engine blew, so I'm not sure if they are good, not sure how that could hurt them though. I'm also not sure if I'm getting spark, that's the first thing I'll check next time I'm out there playing. I have a feeling this is going to be a frustrating process getting this thing going. It's just hard to know what to look for because I'm not experienced and I redid everything so that doesn't narrow it down much, lol. One thing at a time I guess.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dam I doubt it is injectors . Definetly start with checking the spark if it dosent have it start looking at the wireing for the crank an cam sensors . I have seen the wires to the cam sensors get pined between the bellhousing and engine when the trans is installed .

Crank sensor can also give you problem , I have heard a few cases that when the engine was out the reluctor wheel got bent on the crank causeing a not spark condition Hope thats not it though
Old 09-06-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

I'm using the old crank sensor from the other engine so my first guess is bad crank sensor. From the research I've done so far, it sounds like that is the most common for my situation. I'm pretty sure the reluctor wheel is fine because I picked it up from the machine shop where they had it on an engine stand and then I put the oil pan on before it ever had a chance to get damaged. Pinched wires are also unlikely because I've already gone over all that and I can see they all look good. I have to check for spark to get a better idea where to look.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:41 AM
8 Second Club

just remeber to start with the cheap simple stuff first; check all your fuses under hood and incar ) , pull a plug wire out and stuff a sparkplug in there and crank the car, see if you have spark or not .
put your finger on one of the injectors while cranking the engine and feel for a pulse. at least that will start narrowing down your problems.

my bet , blown fuse!

Quick Reply: LSX is ready to be dropped in tomorrow (PICS!)