Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS car overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cars with A/C, clean your condensors. After about 2-3 years of driving it on the street it will get about 50% clogged with debris. Mine was about 90% clogged after 4 years, couldn't run my A/C in hot weather or it would go right into the red in 4-5 minutes in city driving. Cleaned it and the temp never goes near the 210 mark with A/C blasting in hot weather and traffic.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,303 Posts

are u talking about the exterior or the tubes running inside?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Hard to say, but Ron Davis is big in Nascar. They are a higher end radiator, you might get by with less though. Bob
Off topic, I just received my Ron Davis intercooler heat exchanger today. All I can say is wow! Superb quality! You can tell it is high end stuff. BTW if you want to see expensive, look at the C&R radiators. Nascar stuff, it is unbelievable. Thats what I am running, 26x16x3.5.
To the topic, it would be nice if Peter at APS would chime in and give a little feedback, it is quite hot in Austailia, do they have any issues?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ddnspider
are u talking about the exterior or the tubes running inside?
It's the exterior air finning of both the AC condenser and radiator that needs to be thoroughly clean and clear of any debris.............if the exterior air finning is partially blocked then the engine cooling will be compromised.

peter
Old 06-14-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good point Peter.

It all comes down to airflow through the radiator. Whether it is debris in the fins of the condensor or something blocking the radiator like a bag that gets sucked up in there. If you interrupt the airflow through the radiator, you are going to have cooling issues.

For my old turbo kit with two pusher fans and one puller, with the LG racing radiator (800 bucks) and running 100% water with two jugs of 40 below coolant additive, the car still over heated with the AC on in stop and go traffic. When I say over heated, I mean it would shift between 220 and 230 degree's. Sometimes even higher.

So I am not sure about throwing a bunch of money at the cooling system is the answer.

Darren, I would look at the intercooler and see if can be mounted up front. The cost of tubing would be less than a radiator, pump, and coolant route.

Remember Speed Inc has a similar kit in regards to the turbos being mounted in the same fashion, but their intercooler is out front and not where the APS one is. I haven't heard of INTMD8T overheating with an iron LT1 block.

Just my .02,
Glenn
Old 06-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Banned

i think the LT1 in the better route. just ordered mine for 275.00 then i will clean out a/c and call it good.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by W8N2SQZ
Good point Peter.

It all comes down to airflow through the radiator. Whether it is debris in the fins of the condensor or something blocking the radiator like a bag that gets sucked up in there. If you interrupt the airflow through the radiator, you are going to have cooling issues.

For my old turbo kit with two pusher fans and one puller, with the LG racing radiator (800 bucks) and running 100% water with two jugs of 40 below coolant additive, the car still over heated with the AC on in stop and go traffic. When I say over heated, I mean it would shift between 220 and 230 degree's. Sometimes even higher.

So I am not sure about throwing a bunch of money at the cooling system is the answer.

Darren, I would look at the intercooler and see if can be mounted up front. The cost of tubing would be less than a radiator, pump, and coolant route.

Remember Speed Inc has a similar kit in regards to the turbos being mounted in the same fashion, but their intercooler is out front and not where the APS one is. I haven't heard of INTMD8T overheating with an iron LT1 block.

Just my .02,
Glenn
that is one of the things that I am looking at.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
i think the LT1 in the better route. just ordered mine for 275.00 then i will clean out a/c and call it good.
How did you pay that much for an LT1 rad? I ordered mine, brand new, from the dealership about 6 months ago and only paid $170.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

BigBird: Sucks about your fuel pump, too. My original is just now going out at 215,000.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
BigBird: Sucks about your fuel pump, too. My original is just now going out at 215,000.
yeah. it does. hey can you get me the gm number you used. the dumb *** must of ordered the wrong one. and you did order the LT1 rad between 94-96, right?
Old 06-15-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

barnat you got pics of the rad and fan kit, and price you paid
its actually on the site of summit part !!Just punch in the year and make and the brand you want and it will give you your choices!! I went with the Be Cool racing one with the fans and everthing BUT WATCH !!!because they shipped me the wronge rad in the right box and instead of tranny cooler bungs ,,,it was for and LTI camaro with coolant lines which i ran my tranny lines too and ended up running coolant/tranny fluid all threw my engine and tranny!!theres a post about it in the FI site
Old 06-15-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Do you have an underdrive pulley? May not be enough water flow at idle/low rpm. For a test try holding rpm at 1200 instead of idle and see if the temps start to drop.
This is what i was thinking!! maybe not enough flow at ideal .Ide go with a Evans high flow water pump and some Evans coolant which if you read up on it, will shock you as to how much heat it disapates when compared to reg coolant and wont hurt the bearings and such if you ever blow a head gasket
Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6

Be nice if APS was still on the boards.Peter used to be on here all the time and lately have not seen him at all. Would like his feedback on this stuff. Would like to know if the standard intake tubes have upgraded versions ready to buy yet. Maybe should be emailing APS directly the time difference for direct talking can be annoying.
I'm still around though I've just has very limited time lately to browse the board as I've been very busy training new staff. You can always contact me by pm or email if you have an urgent question or if you need any advice.

Peter
Old 06-23-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peter@aps
I'm still around though I've just has very limited time lately to browse the board as I've been very busy training new staff. You can always contact me by pm or email if you have an urgent question or if you need any advice.

Peter
Good to hear Peter.
So Peter what is your take on this overheating problem? And are the new intake ducts available for the standard system and will they solve the closing shut problem I plan on running 15 to 18psi likely if can go that high on my 408 with standard turbos.

As for possible help on this issue I was thinking to buy high volume new ls1 edebrock water pump and may consider different rad. But wondering why most of these rads like be cool or whatever are rated like 400hp? This last paragraphy is directed at posters in this thread.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default here ya go

barnat you got pics of the rad and fan kit, and price you paid
Actually ,,LOL I just got it in the mail today if anyones intrested in it!! Its listed in the sales sect.heres some pics
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...nat/Be%20Cool/
Old 07-01-2008, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you fit a be cool or a ron davis with the aps kit? If so, it would be well worth it IMO to go with one of those. Especially for thos of us who will be driving in 100 degree heat this summer.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
I did play around with it in the hot weather last weekend and it ran hot just cruising in traffic, or after some wide open throttle blasts in 1st & 2nd gear. The temps stayed the same, which was good. But still hotter than it ran in the cooler weather. I will be watching this thread to see what else may need to happen as I want to keep my car a fun and reliable DD.
lol you dont say? temps running hotter in hotter weather?? blasphemy! lol im only shakin your tree a little bit =)

+ 1 for a new rad. im intrested in this thread as ill be grabbing the aps soon...
Old 07-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

so did you solve your issue. I am having similiar problems, I have 408 iron block but with procharger on 2004 GTO. my temps reach 230-233 on the streets after like 30mins of driving and thats with the ac off. but on the freeway it reads fine 202-205. here is the thing though, I do have a ron davis radiator and aftermarket fans and I have compelety redone all my piping in order to lower the intercooler out of the way of the radiator. but I am running the stock waterpump. Just curious if you found out what your issue was.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by luisvelasco02
so did you solve your issue. I am having similiar problems, I have 408 iron block but with procharger on 2004 GTO. my temps reach 230-233 on the streets after like 30mins of driving and thats with the ac off. but on the freeway it reads fine 202-205. here is the thing though, I do have a ron davis radiator and aftermarket fans and I have compelety redone all my piping in order to lower the intercooler out of the way of the radiator. but I am running the stock waterpump. Just curious if you found out what your issue was.

I have not messed with it at all
Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
lol you dont say? temps running hotter in hotter weather?? blasphemy! lol im only shakin your tree a little bit =)

+ 1 for a new rad. im intrested in this thread as ill be grabbing the aps soon...
No worries man. I still watch it on hot days but for the most part, runs fine.

Quick Reply: APS car overheating