Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who eliminated the STS PCV system and used a catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
You have two lines one on the T body one on the intake behind the throttle body mount where you hook up the cable. take those lines off where they mount. Find a catch can with a breather plugs those lines in it. cap off where the lines mounted in the stcok position. The only down side is you will have a hint of oil smell in the car. You can run a vacum source off the turbo or the intake. Just rember the vacume line has to be higher than the pcv lines. And the catch can has to have some sort of screen or baffel to catch the oil and the vapor will be suck out if you run a vacum line.
so you dont have to run a vacuum line to it?
and if i would run a vacuum source to it wouldnt it pressurize the can while in boost?
also eventually the can will fill with oil am i correct?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

used 2 inexpensive EBAY catchcans. one on both sides never looked back. nice and clean intake now and clean MAF which is nice for a change. look on either side of engine compartment for the red cans with breather filters. Did it myself.(dont forget to dump the cans once every couple weeks). mostly water comes out. some oil. I just ran 3/8 hose I think it was from either valve cover breather lines into the catchcans, then a filter breather on each. cap the Tbody and manafold. viola ~Guy
Attached Thumbnails Who eliminated the STS PCV system and used a catch can?-engine.jpg  

Last edited by ssdriver27; 07-07-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
You have two lines one on the T body one on the intake behind the throttle body mount where you hook up the cable. take those lines off where they mount. Find a catch can with a breather plugs those lines in it. cap off where the lines mounted in the stcok position. The only down side is you will have a hint of oil smell in the car. You can run a vacum source off the turbo or the intake. Just rember the vacume line has to be higher than the pcv lines. And the catch can has to have some sort of screen or baffel to catch the oil and the vapor will be suck out if you run a vacum line.
You can't run it back to the intake, the intake sees boost. Even if you use a one-way valve to keep it's boost out of the crankcase, you still have no evacuation while in boost, and you need it then.

Originally Posted by ssdriver27
used 2 inexpensive EBAY catchcans. one on both sides never looked back. nice and clean intake now and clean MAF which is nice for a change. look on either side of engine compartment for the red cans with breather filters. Did it myself.(dont forget to dump the cans once every couple weeks). mostly water comes out. some oil. I just ran 3/8 hose I think it was from either valve cover breather lines into the catchcans, then a filter breather on each. cap the Tbody and manafold. viola ~Guy

See above.

The bottom line for you STS guys, is that you *need* to run a line to back of the car and use the vacuum from the turbo's inlet. This vacuum goes up under boost and so will the evac strength of your system. You NEED evac under boost and this is the only way to get it besides using an external pump (which is overkill for these setups by a large factor).
Old 07-08-2008, 05:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Frost
You can't run it back to the intake, the intake sees boost. Even if you use a one-way valve to keep it's boost out of the crankcase, you still have no evacuation while in boost, and you need it then.

See above.

The bottom line for you STS guys, is that you *need* to run a line to back of the car and use the vacuum from the turbo's inlet. This vacuum goes up under boost and so will the evac strength of your system. You NEED evac under boost and this is the only way to get it besides using an external pump (which is overkill for these setups by a large factor).

Again VERY good understanding of the proper system & the need to do more than just vent excess crankcase pressure.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Again VERY good understanding of the proper system & the need to do more than just vent excess crankcase pressure.
so the correct way would be this

but then running the extra vac line from the turbo inlet to each of the cans?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onefastbunny
could someone please draw me out a diagram as to how this is supposed to be run because it sounds a little confusing
Here's one I did a while back. I think it matches what Frost is describing to you as far as the boosted part of it. I also included a portion to keep the pcv functional at idle with real idle vacuum too.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=diagram+pcv
Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by John_D.
Here's one I did a while back. I think it matches what Frost is describing to you as far as the boosted part of it. I also included a portion to keep the pcv functional at idle with real idle vacuum too.

Replied some Q's on your thread.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TLewis4095... you guys are now in the brandenton area right im alomost done with me car getting the sts setup done if i brought it down there would you be able to install the catch can system on my car or atleast purchase all the necessary hardware to do it i know ur catch cans are pretty good
Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by witry
TLewis4095... you guys are now in the brandenton area right im alomost done with me car getting the sts setup done if i brought it down there would you be able to install the catch can system on my car or atleast purchase all the necessary hardware to do it i know ur catch cans are pretty good
I'll do a custom install why you wait & explain it as we go so you fully understand why.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by John_D.

And your diagram is a good set-up...just use the correct oil seperating can & you have it down.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that would be awesome ill be done here hopefully in the next couple of days maybe a week or so ill def let you know when ill be done and ill stop down there
Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

ok so then I have some questions.... my setup seems to be working fine 1. why do I NEED this vaccuum and 2. what about getting oil and crap back into the intake and screwing up the MAF and simply making my intake nasty again?? and 3. is there a way to do this vaccuum without the nasty intake resulting from it ??? thanks in advance for your input. the reason I ask is the filter breathers still put out some oil residue which tells me it will still end up in the intake if I run vaccuum using the intake.

~Guy
Old 07-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

I say ditch the whole pcv system and go with the gzmotorsports vacuum pump. Thats what I did. I moved the oil return to the pan. It cost more but it is a win win deal. You get rid of oil in the intake, rings seal better and you get some extra horses.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

ok so then I have some questions.... my setup seems to be working fine 1. why do I NEED this vaccuum and 2. what about getting oil and crap back into the intake and screwing up the MAF and simply making my intake nasty again?? and 3. is there a way to do this vaccuum without the nasty intake resulting from it ??? thanks in advance for your input. the reason I ask is the filter breathers still put out some oil residue which tells me it will still end up in the intake if I run vaccuum using the intake.

~Guy
Guy, you just need the proper oil seperating catch can inline & it won't be an issue....and NOT just a simple overflow can with some fittings like on ebay, and you have to have flow through the crankcase to remove the harmful crap.

Originally Posted by DLong
I say ditch the whole pcv system and go with the gzmotorsports vacuum pump. Thats what I did. I moved the oil return to the pan. It cost more but it is a win win deal. You get rid of oil in the intake, rings seal better and you get some extra horses.
This would be the ideal set-up.....steady vacume & just a simple catch can to keep the moisture & oil from slashing on the ground.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

cool looks like some more fiddling is in order then. thanks for the input. so get better quality catch cans and run hose and tap into the intake tube where my air filter is and it should use the vaccuum of the intake to cause a vaccuum in the crank. got it. ~Guy
Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 PM
FormerVendor

I bought a steeda oil seperator (google it!) and thought it's a touch pricey for what it is, it works well.

thanks, just trying to help
Old 07-11-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And your diagram is a good set-up...just use the correct oil seperating can & you have it down.

TLewis, thanks for your comments here, and in the referenced thread with the diagram.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

So sorry to dig this up but referencing this diagram:

Could the check valves be PCV valves? Or does anyone have a part # or link to some one way valves that are not $50 a piece? The reason I ask is the diagram calls for (2) 1-way check valves & 1 PCV valve, thanks in advance!

p.s. happy new year!

Last edited by dnm12; 01-02-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

just a little bump to see if anyone has a response for the following questions:

Could the check valves be PCV valves? Or does anyone have a part # or link to some one way valves that are not $50 a piece? The reason I ask is the diagram calls for (2) 1-way check valves & 1 PCV valve, thanks in advance!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats what i was wondering but never got around to asking it? where can you get the check valves?

Quick Reply: Who eliminated the STS PCV system and used a catch can?