Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F-body Procharger users......overheating in traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by helicoil
I don't see any way of running a bigger air filter with the twin 4.5"s which is the whole point of my post. If that driver side intercooler inlet piping wasn't there it would be easy to run the bigger filter. Possibly could still be done with some enginuity and the removal of more stuff. Not want I want to do with my car at this point. I want my driver side fog light, cruise control, and even air pump to remain.

Hey helicoil, don't know if I'm just lucky... but I'm running the big conical K&N that I bought from EPP with 4.5" intercoolers now.

I installed it when I had the 3.5" ones, and it was a bitch. However, I left it in place and swapped out the intercoolers and while there was a little tugging and cussing it all ended up just fine.

These shots are from the original install when 3.5" intercoolers were still on the car. I still have foglights, air pump, everything.
Attached Thumbnails F-body Procharger users......overheating in traffic?-filter-install-001.jpg   F-body Procharger users......overheating in traffic?-filter-install-002.jpg   F-body Procharger users......overheating in traffic?-filter-install-003.jpg   F-body Procharger users......overheating in traffic?-filter-install-004.jpg   F-body Procharger users......overheating in traffic?-4.5-intercoolers-002.jpg  

Last edited by TWS; 08-16-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you post pics with out the other forum? keeps asking for log in info.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Sweet! Nice find!. I am installing the 9" medium profile fan next week.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Who is the manufacturer of the stock Procharger fan?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
220 is pretty normal, these cars are designed to run in that range.
FWIW. A larger radiator does indeed help, and we have found that adding a large external oil cooler makes a huge difference in oil temps, which then lowers the engine temps. Check this C5 out that we battled with these problems on a road course. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=54 Bob
Damn! Thats alot of work! Good job!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:08 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Damn! Thats alot of work! Good job!
Thanks, we appreciate it! If I remember correctly Spal makes the ProCharger fans. Bob
Old 08-16-2008, 09:56 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZDOG
can you post pics with out the other forum? keeps asking for log in info.
Sorry man. I was at work and that was the only way to get them in my post. I'm on my laptop now and fixed it.

First I do that and then I blab about some coolant additive that probably nobody believes.

Seriously, the large filter from EPP does fit, AND that Hyper Lube stuff really has solved my overtemp problem. I know, I didn't belive it at first either. Now, it may not help everybody... esp peeps with more radical setups than mine... but it is freakin' working for me.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS
Sorry man. I was at work and that was the only way to get them in my post. I'm on my laptop now and fixed it.

First I do that and then I blab about some coolant additive that probably nobody believes.

Seriously, the large filter from EPP does fit, AND that Hyper Lube stuff really has solved my overtemp problem. I know, I didn't belive it at first either. Now, it may not help everybody... esp peeps with more radical setups than mine... but it is freakin' working for me.
Nice! Thanks.

Hyperlube, huh. Is that anything like Prolong? lol
Old 08-17-2008, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

We have a guy in our car club that runs an F1A I believe with air to ice intercooler. His is a 96 or 97 LT1. He has no issues whatsoever, and he said he gets a few passes then the water is boiling!
Old 08-17-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have the custom shrouding and air ducts in place? Mine is running a bit hot, so I will have to make the air ducts out of sheet aluminum so the air is being routed into the radiator. I will post pictures after its done, and if it helped at all.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks tws, im a believer now! just picked up the filter. ill keep that hyper lube in mind, i just got a lt1 radiator and i ditched ac so ill have to see how the temps are.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ditched ac so ill have to see how the temps are.
You will be 100 percent fine. The issue is when you turn on the a/c. If you delete then there should be no issue.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:00 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

thanks tws, im a believer now! just picked up the filter. ill keep that hyper lube in mind, i just got a lt1 radiator and i ditched ac so ill have to see how the temps are.
No prob. Yeah, as soon as I found out about that filter, I called Bob at EPP and he hooked me right up. It does not go in there very willingly, proof positive that it's about the biggest one I could have fit. Just work it in carefully and it'll go. Mine does press a tiny bit on my inner fenderwell liner, and I can just see the edge of it peeking out, but big deal.

I'm with Urban Legend. Mine never had problems unless the A/C was on. However, I have a completely stock internals motor and therefore am running only the 8 psi pullies.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

I dont mean hijack but theres a lot of prochargers in here and a lot of noobie questions
I have an almost complete kit, I'm pretty sure I just need pulleys,tensioner, and fans.
I always thought the stock ATI fan was terrible so I sold it.
Is it worth it for me to get the SDCE kit because I have no pulleys what so ever(I have 6 rib right now). I only plan on running 6#
Basically, I've been put off because I need that 1500 package deal from SDCE
Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Tudds, don't mess around with the 6 rib. Get an 8 rib from the very start. The 6 rib will most likely slip.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Yep, I was able to get the bigger filter EPP sells in there as well. Like you mentioned there is a bit of an 'outy' on the front facia. A small price to pay for no inlet restriction. A little more fanaggling and I might get it to disappear. I went ahead and pulled the left driving light to give a direct air path to the NEW filter.

Originally Posted by TWS
No prob. Yeah, as soon as I found out about that filter, I called Bob at EPP and he hooked me right up. It does not go in there very willingly, proof positive that it's about the biggest one I could have fit. Just work it in carefully and it'll go. Mine does press a tiny bit on my inner fenderwell liner, and I can just see the edge of it peeking out, but big deal.

I'm with Urban Legend. Mine never had problems unless the A/C was on. However, I have a completely stock internals motor and therefore am running only the 8 psi pullies.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

are you getting the little facial bump from the filter being trapped between the facial and ic pipe off the intercooler?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

are you getting the little facial bump from the filter being trapped between the facial and ic pipe off the intercooler?
In front of the front tire. The larger filter is pressing on the side of the front bumper cover and causing a small gap between the bumper cover and the black plastic fenderwell liner. On my car I can just notice a sliver of filter peeking through. No big deal, at least to me. I cannot notice a bulge or anything in the bumper cover, but the filter is pressing against it and the fenderwell liner, causing a small but noticeable gap if you look into the fenderwell right in front of the tire. I have not messed around trying to adjust it as it really doesn't upset me, but if I get a surplus of idle time I might tweak it.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TWS
In front of the front tire. The larger filter is pressing on the side of the front bumper cover and causing a small gap between the bumper cover and the black plastic fenderwell liner. On my car I can just notice a sliver of filter peeking through. No big deal, at least to me. I cannot notice a bulge or anything in the bumper cover, but the filter is pressing against it and the fenderwell liner, causing a small but noticeable gap if you look into the fenderwell right in front of the tire. I have not messed around trying to adjust it as it really doesn't upset me, but if I get a surplus of idle time I might tweak it.
Honestly, I don't see how you are having this problem to begin with? I have an even larger filter and I do not have this problem at all and it is tight up against the bumper. I have it installed the same as you do. No big deal, just curious.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:53 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Honestly, I don't see how you are having this problem to begin with? I have an even larger filter and I do not have this problem at all and it is tight up against the bumper. I have it installed the same as you do. No big deal, just curious.

I don't really consider it a big problem. I don't know your exact set up and you don't know mine. Even a "stock" blower kit is not going to install on two different cars identical to the last millimeter. As I already posted, I installed it one night and haven't touched it since. If I played around with it, I could probably position it/tweak it to press a little less against the bumper cover/fenderwell liner, but I have more pressing projects on my other cars so it's not a priority.

Last edited by TWS; 08-19-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: F-body Procharger users......overheating in traffic?