Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS TT Tubing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Darren thats cool the point is your still having the same issue on a stock hight. Does it matter is the car is lowered or not who knows?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

and yes this is my problem, I have stock suspension too. just like darren and kat's (who all live in the same area of North Carolina and have been tuned by the same person)

APS's stand on this has been there is nothing wrong with there kit and that we all have installed it wrong. I agree with john in that APS simply cannot make a kit for EVERY application, that is understandable but mine is stock.

To answer your question john, yeah i have changed the end links cause my car has over 110k miles on it. they were worn out, but i replaced them with OEM parts.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have hotchkis sway bars on my car currently and its lowered a bit with slp eibach firehawk springs.
Looking at this problem and I also don't want to give up running a sway bar it appears you could simply cut the pipes and then put a section of silicone in there. This would likely quiet the noise and possibly let you run bigger sway bar.

I don't have my car together with the kit yet so can't do any mguyvering. I am a bit depressed that will have to mguyver things but such is life. As for some of the other problems with the kit I thought they had new intake pipes now to send /sell us?
I would also think it should be fairly easy to put something inside the current intake pipes to keep them open. Like a stent to keep arteries open like mabye something like section of flexible muffler pipe inside the ducts?
Again its hard to figure out fixes when I don't have my car together. I have had tons of problems causing delays but the good news is at least getting to see some potential problems. And hopefully some solutions.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

fwiw - finally had a chance to check mine on a stock suspension, non-lowered 01 ss and they also have the now infamous dents on both stainless turbo to intercooler pipes.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think APS should re-design the pipes to clear the sway bar. I couldent imagine spending 6K+ & then having this problem...
Old 08-16-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think they could pre clearance the pipes . Also still can't see why the pipes cannot have section cut and then good quality silicone coupler installed.
Also wonder what happened with the intake pipe collapsing fix. Do they or don't they have improved intake pipes? And how much are they. They should be free.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I would think they could pre clearance the pipes . Also still can't see why the pipes cannot have section cut and then good quality silicone coupler installed.
Also wonder what happened with the intake pipe collapsing fix. Do they or don't they have improved intake pipes? And how much are they. They should be free.
Yeah they should be...
Old 08-17-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

damn, I was just throwing around the idea of taking out a loan for the aps tt kit....maybe i should wait =S
Old 08-17-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to get some updated ducts before my install! It also looks like im going to take off the saybar untill we find a fix.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

i think this issue calls for a simple fix.... FMIC relocate!
... 2 birds with 1 stone

The APS kits are known so far for slight overheating, IC pipes banging, and intake ducts collapsing. Well with new intercooler pipes ran to a relocated FMIC, it will help cure the cooling issue getting the intercooler off the radiator and allow for re-ran pipes to clearance whatever sway bar you choose

However, this and these issues i should say, still IMO should be addressed and corrected by APS

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-17-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Superman09
i think this issue calls for a simple fix.... FMIC relocate!
... 2 birds with 1 stone

The APS kits are known so far for slight overheating, IC pipes banging, and intake ducts collapsing. Well with new intercooler pipes ran to a relocated FMIC, it will help cure the cooling issue getting the intercooler off the radiator and allow for re-ran pipes to clearance whatever sway bar you choose

However, this and these issues i should say, still IMO should be addressed and corrected by APS
Wouldnt that be nice...
Old 08-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DanDan
Wouldnt that be nice...
+1
Old 08-17-2008, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws6taguy
To answer your question john, yeah i have changed the end links cause my car has over 110k miles on it. they were worn out, but i replaced them with OEM parts.
Damn, this sucks. I was hoping we had an explanation for all of the cars that had sway bars hitting the pipes.

When does the sway bar hit the pipe? ie on turns, going over bumps, on turns going over bumps?

Can we put the front tires on ramps and move the suspension enough to see where it would hit, then maybe reposition the pipes (or ideally position the pipes)?

It wasn't my plan to wait this long to put the TT on. Last fall I started replacing my fireplace which ending up leading to gutting the entire room and part of my kitchen. I should be done in a couple of weeks, so I will start putting the TT on this fall. So who else has put the TT on themselves without a lift?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

When does the sway bar hit the pipe? ie on turns, going over bumps, on turns going over bumps?

Yep hard turns, Yep any, try to limit my drifting over speed bumps

Can we put the front tires on ramps and move the suspension enough to see where it would hit, then maybe reposition the pipes (or ideally position the pipes)?

There is no place to reposition it. I was thinking possibly of a harded piece of molded rubber pipe that would absorb the shock of it.

It wasn't my plan to wait this long to put the TT on. Last fall I started replacing my fireplace which ending up leading to gutting the entire room and part of my kitchen. I should be done in a couple of weeks, so I will start putting the TT on this fall. So who else has put the TT on themselves without a lift?

if you can install bottom mounted turbos without going under the car then you are most definatly superman. they say it can be done while the engine is still in the car. I would say go with the 90% of the people and pull the engine to do it
Old 08-18-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just checked my car and my pipes are slightly dented....
APS, we love you guys for giving us this kit but this is really starting to become rediculous. We shouldn't have to pay $75 for swaybar spacers and $15 for shorter swaybar endlinks We paid alot of money for these kits and these issues should have been caught before the kit was released to the public. PLEASE don't bother blaming this on installation; that would be a total cop-out. I'm going to disconnect my swaybar for the time being since I have no other choice, but I really hope plans are made to fabricate and send out swaybar spacers and shorter swaybar endlinks. While it would cost us almost $100 to buy these things, I would think your company could produce the spacers MUCH cheaper and get a good bulk pricing on the endlinks.

Last edited by SStolen; 08-18-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Wow, my stage 3 Incon purchase seems more and more worth it now. Im glad I waited to see these things ironed out. Too bad as it seemed like a decent kit just obviously not tested in real world conditions. Its kind of hard to say a kit is capable of 800+ rwhp when your test car is barely over 500 rwhp and only runs 8psi has stock susp, never run in summer heat to test cooling problems due to intercooler placement etc.....

Last edited by big reg; 08-18-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Are these being run in conjunction with a tubular K-member?

I can see that if the pipe is a little close on the drivers side, all it takes is a good right hand turn or bump to get the swaybar to contact with the intercooler pipe. Even more so if you have regular length endlinks, aftermarket swaybar and a lowered car.

What would shorter end-links do as far as the efficiency of the swaybar?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6 John
So who else has put the TT on themselves without a lift?
I did my whole install on jackstands in my garage in 2.5 weeks. It is doable. Just phone a friend for the k-member install. I needed the extra hands there.

Now I am gonna have to check my pipes. I have over 11k miles on the kit since the install. You guys have me wondering now. Stock suspension here as well.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

You guys saw my pics earlier in the post and my car is lowered with suspension technic springs 1.3" drop with bilstein shocks and my driver side is on the verge of cracking and i only drove the car three times. My point is APS should of taken in consideration the cars that are lowered also, but it really doesn't matter because you guys with stock springs are having the same problem. APS should redesign the two pipes and go back in there purchase orders and send everyone of us new pipes. That would be nice. I guess we all have to see what Peter At APS is going to say about this. I hope they stick by there product because i have 2 buddies in south Florida that want to purchase the C6 ZO6 kits and now there having second thoughts.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

does anybody feel the same way i do here?

Quick Reply: APS TT Tubing Problems