Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Extremely Bad Night

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take advice from someone that spend a lot of time in litigation... You can take them to court and attempt to sue them, but you'll spend more in court/lawyer fees than you would buying 2 forged engines with new superchargers. The amount of time a lawyer would spend researching and building a case, all the while charging you $200/hr, you'd be better off just getting as much covered under warranty and walking away.

Unfortunately sueing them would be a case of diminishing returns. It sucks. It's wrong. It's not your fault, but it happened and if you let it fester, you're going to go nuts.

Grit your teeth and chalk it up to experience - it's part of the hobby.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by prochargedchevyi

Unfortunately sueing them would be a case of diminishing returns. It sucks. It's wrong. It's not your fault, but it happened and if you let it fester, you're going to go nuts.

I already have!

Doug
Old 11-27-2008, 05:43 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
Search my old threads

I snapped my starter clean off the block when I tried to start my car one time. Drove to my GFs apartment in the rain (no serious puddles or anything though, my airfilter was not low either). "Hung out" for an hour or two. Then when I went to start the car it cranked once and made a loud noise. Bent a rod seizing the motor and snapped the starter flange clean off the block. No clue how water got in my engine.

Good luck on the rebuild. Just go bigger/nicer this time!
The engine in my Formula hydrolocked after sitting on jack stands through a storm. I was changing the rotors, pads, and brake lines. I went to start it when I was done and it took out the block and oil pan.

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
There is no way Maggie is going to pay for his motor.
Especially since he is not the original owner. They'll say that warranties don't transfer or something like that. He's doing the right thing already and planning on building a new engine.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TS6
I'm sorry but if a manufacturers faulty part destroyed my motor I'd lawyer up and sue. I would win too, that is complete bullshit. As far as it being a race part, seriously, its a maggie. Its not like he's running an F3R and blew it up because of low octane. This is not user error in any sense.

I guess the manufacturer is lucky, he's being easy going about. I'd ******* dig up Johnny Cochran and own that place.

And what does it being used have to do with it? Its been on ONE CAR for 1500 miles. He bought the car used. The fact that the original owner doesn't own the car doesn't matter. If he bought THE BLOWER used I could almost agree, but its been installed on one car (by a dealer I might add) for a very short period.

Jake, if I contracted EPP for a motor build and sold the car a week after you installed and tuned it and it blew up, you'd tell the new owner to pound sand?
+1 Honestly it doesn't matter if he is the second owner of the car. New car/New engine-Used car/Used engine same thing would have happened to it. The maggie was 100% at fault for the catastrophic failure of the engine. But most likely they are going to blame who installed it. Good luck man.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
+1 Honestly it doesn't matter if he is the second owner of the car. New car/New engine-Used car/Used engine same thing would have happened to it. The maggie was 100% at fault for the catastrophic failure of the engine. But most likely they are going to blame who installed it. Good luck man.

They have already admitted fault by replacing the faulty intercooler with a redesigned model. I would call them and be very firm on getting some $$$. If they don't comply I'd sue them and when you sue you can also sue for legal costs.

The OP is taking it in stride, I'd be ******* tossing that POS through their front window.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The bad thing is that you are dealing over the phone instead of face to face, this gives them the advantage and they know it, I had a very bad problem with Procharger (Not EPP), Long story short, I got screwed by them and several thousands of dollars later...
Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Launching!

I'd expect something from magnusson, maybe not a whole new engine but cover something. Do something to rectify this situation.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prochargedchevyi
Take advice from someone that spend a lot of time in litigation... You can take them to court and attempt to sue them, but you'll spend more in court/lawyer fees than you would buying 2 forged engines with new superchargers. The amount of time a lawyer would spend researching and building a case, all the while charging you $200/hr, you'd be better off just getting as much covered under warranty and walking away.

As much as it sucks thats very true.

IMO Magnusson is completely at fault, but they wont ever pay. Lifes a bitch and then you die.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned

I've been reading and watching this thread very closely lately. Reason being, I bought the LM Speed Maggie kit about 2 weeks ago and am just waiting for it to show up after all the parts come in to Ed. I even asked him about this incident. He said it was the first problem of this kind he had ever seen.

Did it stop me from buying the kit? Obviously not. Because I know that in this hobby, you gotta pay if you want to play. And the nature of mechanical things is that eventually, they break. Eventually heat, friction, stress, and murphy will take it's toll.

You can't add components to an engine that it wasn't designed to support from the factory and be shocked when something goes wrong.

People grenade engines all the time with nitrous, does that mean you should expect NX or NOS to pay for you to have a new engine? Just because a noid stuck open while you were spraying the manufacturer is totally at fault? Can you threaten them legal action because something went wrong? No, you knew what you were doing.

This instance is very unfortuante because the car dicked itself while it wasn't even running. I really feel bad for the guy who when he turned his key, instead of his car roaring to life he heard the sounds of twisted metal and cash registers. Yeah, that really sucks. I would be furious if that happened to me, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Ditto on the above post about litigation. You would spend more money in lawyers and trying to get statements from professional witnesses. Might as well just go to W2W and have them build you a whole new car for what you would spend on trying to get Magnusson to buy you a new stock block.

Good luck with the future build man, and I look forward to posting my maggie build photos and final results.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TS6
I'd sue them anyway, it is 100% their fault. You'd have no problem getting a professional to attest to that.

At a minimum I'd get a big *** sticker for the back window that says "Magnuson Sucks". Send me one and I'll stick it on my car, none of the maggie cars could hang anyway.
No axe to grind here. Seriously, why all the hate?

I wouldn't warranty something that had been bought by someone else, then sold, and then installed by who knows who...

Unless the warranty was transferable, that's the breaks. As if no other forced induction solution has ever broken, or a cam has gone bad, or springs have gone bad or anything else. Unless you are covered by warranty, you're fucked. That's the way it is.

Cry some more and hate on magnusson if it makes you feel better, but this is nobody's fault...**** breaks and life doesn't come with airbags.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Steel Chicken

I wouldn't warranty something that had been bought by someone else, then sold, and then installed by who knows who...

Unless the warranty was transferable, that's the breaks. As if no other forced induction solution has ever broken, or a cam has gone bad, or springs have gone bad or anything else. Unless you are covered by warranty, you're fucked. That's the way it is.

Cry some more and hate on magnusson if it makes you feel better, but this is nobody's fault...**** breaks and life doesn't come with airbags.
I've been reading through this thread, and I 100% agree, Chicken.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:59 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

I bet $$$ you'd sing a different tune if it was your car.

What alot of you are failing to realize (or read) is that this unit was purchased from and installed by a Maggie dealer. Just because the name on the title changes doesn't mean ****. You guys act like he bought a 10 year old used blower that been on 5 different cars. Its been on ONE car for a very short time. I agree, **** happens with used parts and I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to help me if I bought an item used and installed it myself.

Hate? Not sure what you mean, I just don't like to see anyone get screwed by a companies lack of quality. How am I wrong?

You're telling me that if you went to a Maggie certified dealer/installer and purchased a blower w/ installation and it (beyond a doubt) destroyed your motor in a very very short time you would just say "Oh well, thats the breaks"? Yeah, right. You'd be furious.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TS6
I bet $$$ you'd sing a different tune if it was your car.
No

What alot of you are failing to realize (or read) is that this unit was purchased from and installed by a Maggie dealer. Just because the name on the title changes doesn't mean ****. You guys act like he bought a 10 year old used blower that been on 5 different cars. Its been on ONE car for a very short time. I agree, **** happens with used parts and I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to help me if I bought an item used and installed it myself.
If thats true, he has a warranty then. Right? Right?!
If he has a warranty this thread doesn't need to exist. If he doesn't have a warranty...why not? Did he not ask for one? Did they say, sorry its used, no warranty, and he installed it anyways. Somethings missing here. What is it?

Hate? Not sure what you mean, I just don't like to see anyone get screwed by a companies lack of quality. How am I wrong?
"All maggies are slow" - what does that have to do with anything other than your prejudices?

You're telling me that if you went to a Maggie certified dealer/installer and purchased a blower w/ installation and it (beyond a doubt) destroyed your motor in a very very short time you would just say "Oh well, thats the breaks"? Yeah, right. You'd be furious.
If I didn't have a warranty, id be pissed off, but Id know theres nothing I can do about it.
If I DID have a warranty, id get that **** fixed, you betya.

So again, wheres the warranty?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:24 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

So again, wheres the warranty?
You tell me.

I never said all Maggie cars are slow, I just said they can't hang with a Procharged car of similar build. Thats common knowledge.

You're getting all worked up for nothing. I'm not sure why you want to defend Magnacharger but they should have offered to do something for the guy, regardless of warranty. Its just good business. They are directly responsible for the destruction of his motor, it was not installer error or mis-use of the product, just shitty parts. **** what the law says, on an ethical level when you cost someone time or money you should offer to compensate them. If thats not the case then **** them, they don't deserve any support.

To use the same anology again, If my HVAC co installed a furnace in your house which caused a fire and damaged your house would you not expect me or the manufacturer to compensate you and take care of it? You damn skippy!

Like I said, watch your **** blow up due to their incompetence and see how you feel. Somehow I just don't think its gonna be "Oh well, my motor blew up because maggie screwed up, but its OK. It was worth it to make 50 HP more than a good H/C package for awhile".
Old 12-12-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TS6
You tell me.

I never said all Maggie cars are slow, I just said they can't hang with a Procharged car of similar build. Thats common knowledge.
Umm, ok. Whatever. Im not going down that road. You forgot to mention how that was relevant at all to this thread?

You're getting all worked up for nothing.
Im not the one worked up. Look at your posts, look at mine. Whose the one thats calm, and whose the one ranting and raving?

I'm not sure why you want to defend Magnacharger but they should have offered to do something for the guy, regardless of warranty. Its just good business. They are directly responsible for the destruction of his motor, it was not installer error or mis-use of the product, just shitty parts. **** what the law says, on an ethical level when you cost someone time or money you should offer to compensate them. If thats not the case then **** them, they don't deserve any support.
And you have proof of this? You can PROVE it was shitty parts, and no one fucked up? No one dropped the blower or anything? And its good business practice to toss 5K to a customer for a motor rebuild for fun and giggles? Leave your common sense at home, did ya? Im not defending magnuson, I have my own beefs with them, im defending common sense, and the idea that in racing **** breaks, and if its not under warranty, your fucked, end of story. If you cant handle that, find another hobby.

To use the same anology again, If my HVAC co installed a furnace in your house which caused a fire and damaged your house would you not expect me or the manufacturer to compensate you and take care of it? You damn skippy!
Yes, because your company has liability insurance. Does this installer have liablity insurance? Does the owner have a warranty? Analogy failure detected.

Like I said, watch your **** blow up due to their incompetence and see how you feel. Somehow I just don't think its gonna be "Oh well, my motor blew up because maggie screwed up, but its OK. It was worth it to make 50 HP more than a good H/C package for awhile".
No one has proved incompetence here. You have an axe to grind, that's all I see. And your comment about 50hp more than a good H/C package just shows how ignorant you are. You do understand power under the curve yes? Or are you just some max HP E-peen nutswinger who hates maggies because all the cool kids do it?

Stay on topic, and keep your prejudices about the product out of it, if you want to be taken seriously.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Banned

Copied and pasted disclaimer from a Magnacharger system installation guide.

"Our Magna Charger kits are designed for engines in good mechanical condition only.
Installation on high mileage or damaged engines is not recommended and may result in engine failure, for which we are not responsible. Magna Charger is not responsible for the engine or consequential damages."

Unfortunately, that about covers it.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:02 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Haha, you guys didn't even read the thread.

The intercooler failed, Magnacharger basically admits faulty part, case closed. Try knowing your *** from your elbow before arguing with me.

If you READ, you'll see that someone else had the same problem.

As far as me being ignorant, go **** yourself. You don't know me at all, so shut the **** up. I said "about 50 more RWHP than a good H/C package". I am referring to F bodies, and I have yet to see a maggie car run as fast as a good H/C package. I could give a **** about your "area under the curve" dyno queen bullshit. Put down a number on the track, where it counts.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:04 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Copied and pasted disclaimer from a Magnacharger system installation guide.

"Our Magna Charger kits are designed for engines in good mechanical condition only.
Installation on high mileage or damaged engines is not recommended and may result in engine failure, for which we are not responsible. Magna Charger is not responsible for the engine or consequential damages."

Unfortunately, that about covers it.

That doesn't say a word about mechanical failure of their parts. All it says is if you blow your 100K stock motor up they aren't responsible, which is common sense. The way the OP's IC failed it would kill ANY motor.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Update, talked to bryan from maggie today they will be rebuilding/replacing the intercooler and doing a complete rebuild on my unit w/ a warranty at no charge except I have to pay for shipping.

As for the motor I am on my own however I do realize that there are very few companies that will warranty anything beyond their own product regardless of what else is damaged.

I feel fortunate that they have agreed to repair/replace the blower parts.

Thanks to Bryan aka"Blownchevy" for all your help

Doug
Old 12-13-2008, 03:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TS6
That doesn't say a word about mechanical failure of their parts. All it says is if you blow your 100K stock motor up they aren't responsible, which is common sense. The way the OP's IC failed it would kill ANY motor.
Nobody in this thread has said anything about how the intercooler failed.

How does something completely seperate from the engine, the intercooler, which is used to cool the blower, get water into the engine?

How could this problem not have happened from a blown head gasket? You can get water into the combustion chamber that way as well.

If an intercooler failed, wouldn't it just lead out of the intercooler onto the ground, and not into the engine?

Quick Reply: Extremely Bad Night