Old 09-08-2003, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't fill my gas tank... Whahappen??? *DELETED*

Post deleted by SS00Blue
Old 09-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can't fill my gas tank... Whahappen???

sounds like your tank is now pressurized since you removed the canister... so with the process of gas pumping in.. the air has do move out to displace the amount of fuel... now the only way the air can move out is past the fill nozzle and the tank lip.

Is it pure fuel or just air/fuel spray mix?
Old 09-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Turbo Addict

... edit.. i see the vacuum part now....

well if all else fails put it back like it was and see if it goes away..
Old 09-08-2003, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

ummmm, you took out the HVAC vacuum reservoir.

The charcoal canister is on top of the tank in 99 and up. In the rear bumper on the 98's.

have you been messing with any of the evap lines, or stuff back by the tank??

Old 09-09-2003, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

ummmm, you took out the HVAC vacuum reservoir.

The charcoal canister is on top of the tank in 99 and up. In the rear bumper on the 98's.

have you been messing with any of the evap lines, or stuff back by the tank??
Just out of curiousity(hope you don't mind my asking), but how do you get around this problem Harlan? I saw your new sump fuel tank. I see there is a line going in the top(return line?) How are you handling evap and vacuum inside the tank?

Mike
Old 09-09-2003, 12:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Well....

line coming out of the hanger assembly is the roll over vent, large line at the bottom is the return line. Fitting for the filler hose is on the right side.

The vent simply hangs under the car. Makes the garage smell like race gas

There's no check valve on the filler hose, so i gotta listen for the fuel before it comes flying out. It won't kick off on it's own without overflowing. Comes out the vent hose if it's over filled.

It's more of a fuel cell now, and less a real gas tank. Just happens to have a stock sending unit, and fit in the stock location.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm. I haven't been anywhere near the back of the car or by the gas tank.

It's nice to know that was the HVAC canister, though I don't know what that does.

When I swwapped to the A4 I got a code for the EVAP purge solenoid, but it didn't seem to affect anything. I've filled it a couple of times since the swap. Could that have anything to do with this dilemma? If so, it would be strange that it only now is manifesting itself.

Any more insight?

SC-
Old 09-09-2003, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

yep you screwed up ht eventing system, so no gas, i did that on mine and couldnt get gas in it.

You need a vent tube, what year is your car?
see my fuel install and scroll down were it talks about venting
http://www.cofba.org/users/smokinhaw...-pics/fuel.htm
Old 09-09-2003, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's good information Jonathan. Thanks.

But I have been no where near the back of the car.

All I did was move my stupid trans cooler and unhook what is apparently my HVAC canister.

I'm stumped. Unless, somehow the EVAP purge solenoid code I've been throwing has something to do with it. Anyone know where that solenoid is located?

SC-
Old 09-09-2003, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

the solinoid is on the driverside of the motor right next to cylinder 1 and 3 injector on my 98t/a. I`ve seen this problem on many differant cars the problem is usually a pluged vent pipe or your charcoal canister is full of fuel. what most people don`t realize is when your at the gas pump filling up your tank and the nozzle shuts off when the tank is full, if you try to squeeze that last $0.75 in there to make it a even $23.00 your actually topping off your charcoal canister and like anything else the gas will eventually break down the charcoal so that it won`t absorb the fuel any longer and thats when you get the venting problems and strong fuel odors. Believe it or not my 99 grand am won`t take any fuel if the check engine light is on from an emissions code. thats how the dealer gets you to bring your car to them.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you, MYTURBOTA:

I appreciate the information. I've filled the tank by using a funnel and two 6-gallon tanks. There was no problem getting the gas in the car. I still can't fill the tank by the pump, but everything seems normal. I'll keep working on it, but it won't stop me from hunting the stock long-block single-turbo record.

I hope it works out, and I'll let you know by PM...

SC-
Old 09-12-2003, 07:13 AM
Teching In

SS00Blue,

Provided you check your email I sent out a response to your question. Let me know if you got it.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:14 AM
Teching In

I do some EVAP at work so we should be able to nail down the problem. I don't know the year of your car but if it's a 99 or later than it does have ORVR which has to do with the vapor recovery system. In pre ORVR systems the fuel vapors could escape out the gas cap while you were fueling up. In post ORVR, when you go to refuel, a seal is made around the nozzle not allowing the vapors to exit out the fuel cap - instead they are routed in a path to the carbon canister.

This being said, no matter what system you have, F-body cars are notorious for their problem with back pressure simply because the tank is aligned with the gas cap. I fight this problem with my car too. When you pump, gas goes in, the fuel hits the tank walls, and fuel vapor rushes back causing the pump to shut off.

So the fix: I think the canister is located in the drivers side rear wheel well. You should be able to take a look at it. You will see a vent valve and the canister. I suggest removing the vent valve. In the valve you will see a sponge looking filter which you can take out and try to clean out. If that has dust or dirt in it then it will cause a restriction because the pressure has no relief vent. So you can try to clean the filter. While the vent is off try to refuel it. If you can refuel then you know what your problem is. If you still can't refuel at the pump, take the canister off next and try to refuel again. This should help you narrow the problem. You might even see some junk in the canister that you can clean out. If your canister is the problem, take some compressed air and try to blow it out backwards.

If your car is below 77,000 (don't quote me on this) then EVAP should still be covered under warrenty. Take it in and tell them it's a piece.
A P0443 code is telling you that the control module detected an incorrect voltage in the purge solenoid for the commanded state. See if you can get one from a dealership to test it out. Testing one with a voltmeter would be kinda tough since it only purges while the car is moving.

One more thing to consider is if you drive down dirt roads a lot. I hope you don't make a habbit of haulin' down the dirt with your turbo baby but the dirt you kick up could be playing a big part in this problem. Or as you said, rubber.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

CEOWS6:
I did get your e-mail and I returned it. Thank you for your help. This is why I take tech problems to LS1TECH.com.

I'm going to check this out today.

One more Q, can an incorrect voltage be caused be a connector having come apart, or is it more likely that the piece is a piece?

Thanks again,
SC-
Old 09-15-2003, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Sorry for the delay - I was racin' this weekend!

Anyway, yes, incorrect voltage could be caused by a faulty connector. To answer your other question and if anyone else wants to know, the Purge Solenoid on a 2000 Camaro is attached to the engine on the drivers side by the valve cover. It's a thick plastic chunk about 1 inch in diameter and 2 inches long with 2 hose connections sticking out one end and 1 hose connection sticking out the other. Wow, that description really sucks...

Check your mail, I send you a goodie package of pics and step by step for troubleshooting and replacement.

Cheers
KC

Quick Reply: Can't fill my gas tank... Whahappen??? *DELETED*