Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Lets talk about push lock hose

Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lets talk about push lock hose

im getting ready to order fuel lines and fittings. i was looking in to the braided pro flow hose but then came across the push lock stuff. looks like some is ok to use with gas and some is not. i found some push lock hose but it has a braided cover. its called series 8000 race hose and its 3.91 a foot for -8

the other push lock hose i find does not have that braided cover and is about the same price. has any one used the hose above? i like the look of that braided cover.

also are all push lock fittings the same? seams like every one makes there own brand of fitting. earls, jegs, russell. if i buy brand X hose can i use brand Y fittings?

sumped tank, -10 or i guess i could use -12 to the filter, filter screwed to magnafuel 4301 pump, -8 to Y block, -8 to rails, -8 to regulator and -8 back to the tank

Last edited by bad6as; 01-03-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

I used Earls superstock throughout most of mine. Its a push style fitting.

A friend used some of my fittings with Speedflow hose.....and ive also seen some of Summit's push style fittings.

I'd say they are all the same in terms of swapping fittings. If in doubt, check the ID of the hose. But it will likely be the same.

If the black braided stuff had been available when I did mine, I'd have used it also.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Teching In

I have used the aeroquip hose with the black Jegs fittings with no problems.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

ok, thanks any others?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just ordered jegs brand black push loc hose and black jegs fittings. They said the hose is e85 resistant, so should work with regular gas lmao.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never used push lock style on my fuel lines. I hate steel braided since it holds the heat in. Ever since I switched to XRP hose, yes it's expensive but worth it for safety and inside hose diameter is larger.
Now understand, that the push lock has it's place. But if I was going to put something under pressure like fuel, I'd be putting on something a little more secure.

Just my 0.2¢
Old 01-01-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

I'm slowly changing out all of the braided stuff on my rides to push lock teflon coated hoses. You'll notice that some braided hoses break down over the years & you will start smelling gas in your car & in your garage. The teflon stuff won't do that & the push lock fittings are so much easier to install than the screw in type. If you spend a few hours of making up the old style hoses, if you make up enough of them, your hands will hurt for a few days after, at least mine do (older man with arthritis)

If you go to push lock hoses, lube the fittings a little bit, makes them much easier to install, if you keep them dry, you'll have trouble getting the last 1/4" or so stabbed in. I've seen some pretty poor looking setups due to this, well they annoy me at least.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mebuildit
I've never used push lock style on my fuel lines. I hate steel braided since it holds the heat in. Ever since I switched to XRP hose, yes it's expensive but worth it for safety and inside hose diameter is larger.
Now understand, that the push lock has it's place. But if I was going to put something under pressure like fuel, I'd be putting on something a little more secure.

Just my 0.2¢
What sort of fuel system are you using ? Considering the Earls, and I assume others is rated at 250psi for their "push" fit system, which aspect of it is not secure ?

I dont know of any typical fuel injection systems for gasoline cars that would be running anywhere near that pressure.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by jamnut
I'm slowly changing out all of the braided stuff on my rides to push lock teflon coated hoses. You'll notice that some braided hoses break down over the years & you will start smelling gas in your car & in your garage. The teflon stuff won't do that & the push lock fittings are so much easier to install than the screw in type. If you spend a few hours of making up the old style hoses, if you make up enough of them, your hands will hurt for a few days after, at least mine do (older man with arthritis)

If you go to push lock hoses, lube the fittings a little bit, makes them much easier to install, if you keep them dry, you'll have trouble getting the last 1/4" or so stabbed in. I've seen some pretty poor looking setups due to this, well they annoy me at least.
They can be difficult to assemble.

I lube the inside of the hose with oil, as well as the barb itself. I also heat the rubber hose a little with a heat gun too. And ensure the fitting is very securely mounted so you can push hard !!
Despite the name, they do not push together easily. Although Ive found the larger the fitting the easier it gets. -6 is quite tricky, and once it stops pushing.....thats usually where it stops. SO if you dont get it full on first go....it'll have to be cut off.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:01 AM
TECH Regular

Can someone post some pics of the pushlock hose and fittings?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:15 AM
9 Second Club

Just look on Earls website under superstock hose.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:47 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

There is a tool made for assembling push lock hoses. I know it works on straight fittings, but not sure about 45's or 90's. I know without the tool, they are a bitch to put together.

I usually use some silicone spray inside the hose and on the fitting. Like Stevieturbo says, once they stop going, they usually don't go much further. I've pushed so hard on some in the past, it actually started to seperate the cloth outer layer from the rubber inner layer.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club

Ive never tried silicone spray. But I did find normal engine oil did work well. Just make sure the outer sleeve of the hose stays totally clean and dry...otherwise you'll never be able to push the hose on lol
Old 01-02-2010, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

the hose in the 1st picture is made my frangola its their 8000 serries
Old 01-02-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

There are no pictures. Just a box with a red "x".
Old 01-03-2010, 03:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

The Fragola 8000 Series pictured works very well; we have used it on several of our shop projects on gasoline, as well as e-85. It looks great, saves a bunch of weight, and is much easier to assemble vs. conventional steel braid. My assembly tricks include:

1) Assemble the hose warm (use a blow drier, heat gun or boil a bucket of hot water to warm the hose).

2) Chill the fittings in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

3) Lube the fittings with a little bit of motor oil.

4) Push together in one steady motion.

5) Be careful about mixing and matching hose and fitting brands, even though they are "supposed" to be compatible. The US made Fragola stuff pictured is awesome, but there is a lot of off-brand "offshore" junk out in the market lately (especially on the internet auction sites).

Last edited by RAACCR; 01-03-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

I have been using the blue teflon coated hose from a local hydraulic place and corresponding JIC fittings. Fittings are brass and cost 1/2 the price from jegs and very durable. I've had some aluminum fittings cross thread but these industrial fitting take whatever you throw at em. Hose is about 1.50/foot for -8.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

The blue hydraulic hose is most likely Parker Push Lock (or similar). Both the Parker Blue and Fragola 8000 Series, in the -8 size, are rated @ 28in hg. vacuum and weigh .18 # per foot. In -8, the blue is rated @ 250 psi, while the 8000 Series is rated @ 300 psi. Either way, that's more than suficient for typical fuel system applications. So its pretty much a matter of which one looks better to you, or whether or not you want the protective braid on the outside, or price. As an added precaution, we use the Fragola crimp clamps (pn 9999158 for the -8 size), as shown in the 1st post's picture, for most applications. Remember to slide the clamps on to the hose BEFORE pushing on the fittings
Old 01-06-2010, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

just saw that summit sells fragola hose too. so i know for sure that what ill use. not i just need to dray it out and hope i order the right fittings the 1st time
Old 01-06-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bad6as
just saw that summit sells fragola hose too. so i know for sure that what ill use. not i just need to dray it out and hope i order the right fittings the 1st time
If you right click on the pic in the first post, the properties will reveal another Fragola supplier who beats Summit's prices

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lets talk about push lock hose