Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Going lean under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Going lean under acceleration

I am looking for a few extra brain cells to diagnose the problem with my camaro running lean again. The car is a 98' LS1 camaro and it will throw codes for a lean mixture (p131/p151) only under hard acceleration. The only modifications to the car are a cat back exhaust and K&N intake.

I have checked for vacuum leaks and found none (reads 20 inches at idle), run heavy duty fuel system cleaners (BG 44k), replaced the fuel filter, replaced the pcv valve, and cleaned the MAF.

Yesterday I reset the computer after a short burst where the code was set and decided to gradually accelerate going up to 6k rpm in first and second. Under more gradual acceleration to the same high rpm no codes are set.

What would be different about the demands of the engine stabbing the throttle versus gradual accel? I am thinking the fuel pump is running out of steam up top. Pressure regulator issue?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

The fp is??
Check it at idle, and then put the gauge under the w/s wiper and make a "pull"...What do you see?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

At idle I have 59-60psi, right where it should be. Haven't had a chance to take it for a spin with the gauge hooked up yet.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

I finally had a chance to check the fuel pressure while running down the road this evening and I wanted to update this post.

Running at idle, up to temperature 59psi.

Normal driving, smooth acceleration 59psi.

Wide open throttle 55psi.

Shut off after running 50psi.

Would these figures point to a weak fuel pump for an LS1 camaro?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a bad Mass air meter. It will never throw a code for it.

Easy to see if a scanner is hooked up.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

I have a program I can run off my laptop to watch the sensors, what reading should I look for from the MAF?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer
I have a program I can run off my laptop to watch the sensors, what reading should I look for from the MAF?
The signs are the 02 voltage going to .000 at WOT. I watch the frequency of the meter and it will read but not the correct reading at WOT.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice, I installed a good used MAF last night and everything seems to be running correctly now!

If anyone else is having a similar problem you may also be experiencing a stumble around 2500rpm, I thought they were unrelated issues.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...-question.html
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have just installed a vortech supercharger on my 98 z28 along with a 85mm aluminum intake manifold, 85mm throttle body and Mass air flow. it didnt come with anything to replace the fuel pressure regulator. i got the car back and it ran fine for a day or so and all of the sudden my fuel pump started whining and if i would put a little pressure on the gass it would bog down. does anyone else know anything about this or know of a fuel pressure regulator i should get??
Old 06-06-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb Try the..

Originally Posted by ronnie0331
i have just installed a vortech supercharger on my 98 z28 along with a 85mm aluminum intake manifold, 85mm throttle body and Mass air flow. it didnt come with anything to replace the fuel pressure regulator. i got the car back and it ran fine for a day or so and all of the sudden my fuel pump started whining and if i would put a little pressure on the gass it would bog down. does anyone else know anything about this or know of a fuel pressure regulator i should get??
forced induction forum?? Likely to get more feedback.

Quick Reply: Going lean under acceleration