Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Have to prime twice with Warlboro 255

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:22 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Have to prime twice with Warlboro 255

Been searching and trying to read up on whether this is normal or not, but most of the threads I've found are old and never resolved...

I installed a new Warlboro 255 with Racetronix hotwire kit as part of the fuel system for my FI build. When the car is running, the fuel pressure is great...showing 63-64psi at the rail on my Autometer electric fuel pressure gauge, and has dropped no lower than 58 or so at WOT.

The problem is, I either have to prime the pump twice or let the engine crank for several seconds to get it to start initially. Also, if I turn the key on but then wait a short amount of time to try to start the car (after the pump quits priming), I get the same symptoms and its hard to start.

I'm not sure if my Warlboro is the kind without the check valve or not, but it sure seems like that is the case...like fuel is bleeding back through after the pump quits priming... BTW, I've had these symptoms with two different sets of brand new injectors, so I'm fairly certain there's not an issue with an injector sticking open and leaking...

Any ideas here? Is this normal for a Warlboro? If so, that sucks. Would a bad regulator cause these symptoms? Should I go with a different fuel pump or setup? Little help here, please...

TIA
Old 05-23-2010, 08:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

First, all Walbro internal pumps have a check valve.

Does your pressure fall after the car primes?
Then, you either have an internal leak in the lines or the regulator is bleeding off.

It is quite common for the Walbro to take longer to prime than stock.
Not much you can do with it since most ECM's do not have a longer prime time setting in them.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car use to do that. But since I have went with a front mounted aeromotive FPR it primes and holds.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't you change the prime time length in the tune? I have that setting in EFILive.

Jeff
Old 05-23-2010, 01:51 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

I will go and see if it falls after I prime it. I also have HPTuners...is it possible to adjust the prime length?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:26 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

OK I just checked, and the fuel pressure immediately falls after I prime...
Old 05-23-2010, 09:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You have a problem then... probably a leaking line in the tank.

Whose pump kit did you use?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:46 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

I bought the pump off of a forum member, but it was still new. I did end up having to reuse the old hose between the pump and bucket, since the new one I bought didn't come with a new one. I'm hoping that may be the culprit. Any other suggestions on what to check?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

I have just recently had the same problem with my 255hp in my eclipse. I found out that the Warlboro pumps are know for the check valves to brake and bleed back into the tank. You could always install a check valve in the line or replace the pump. My check valve lasted 9 months before it failed.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

I always had that problem in my dsm, I attributed to my FPR or injectors bleeding off, but maybe I had other problems, I know my buddys evo with an aeromotive FPR and dual walbros holds ~60 psi over a whole weekend and doesnt bleed off one bit.

I would start with the simple stuff like use new hose and fuel injection clamps, even double up if you can.

Quick Reply: Have to prime twice with Warlboro 255