Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Easiest way to drain the gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest way to drain the gas tank?

I have a hole in a fuel line so i have to replace it and i have a full tank of gas, so whats the easiest way to get the gas out of the tank without going all over the garage floor?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What fuel line is leaking that bad that you need to drain the tank to fix?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn the car on it's side.

Or this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp3Sl9VUcN0
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 AM
9 Second Club

I'm not sure if your fuse box is the same as a C5.

http://www.aacorvette.com/pdf/aa_fue...structions.pdf
Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
What fuel line is leaking that bad that you need to drain the tank to fix?
Its leaking right after the pump. Do i not need to drain it? To replace it?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

disconnect the line where you can, take a 12v battery and power the pump and voila... now if that will work with where your leak is IDK.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is going to be alot bigger problem than i thought. Is there a way that i can cover the hole in the gas line without having to replace the whole thing?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAm12sec
Turn the car on it's side.

Or this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp3Sl9VUcN0

I wonder if you could reverse that to say fill a boat. Pump the gas out of the can and into the boat. I would of course look for a larger hose/fitting so you could use a larger hose.

Oh to the OP, hard to tell from the pic but are those rubber hoses? If so pinch em.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by crapyboy750
This is going to be alot bigger problem than i thought. Is there a way that i can cover the hole in the gas line without having to replace the whole thing?
No safe way.They do make short repair fuel lines with proper fittings and flares already done.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 396375
No safe way.They do make short repair fuel lines with proper fittings and flares already done.
Thanks for the advice i got it working right now.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So problem isnt solved. My patch job didnt work so well so how hard is it to reaplace the whole fuel line from the engine to the fuel pump?
Old 10-24-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Not very easy at all. Patches as you can see arent that great. A replacement line will be equally difficult since its not flexible and your engine/trans is still installed

Id go with a braided SS line and never worry about it again
Old 10-24-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pocket
Not very easy at all. Patches as you can see arent that great. A replacement line will be equally difficult since its not flexible and your engine/trans is still installed

Id go with a braided SS line and never worry about it again
Flexible? Its the rubber fuel line that needs to be replaced from the fuel pump through the frame to the front of the car. The problem is trying to find where the line connects in the front since i cant follow it through the frame.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

The plastic flex is directly connected to the hardlines which are almost impossible to get out unless the car is a shell

Jack the front of the car up and pull the drivers front wheel off. Next drop the wheel liner. You should see the fuel line routing up front
Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pocket
The plastic flex is directly connected to the hardlines which are almost impossible to get out unless the car is a shell

Jack the front of the car up and pull the drivers front wheel off. Next drop the wheel liner. You should see the fuel line routing up front
Uhh **** so this wont be as easy as finding the line at both ends and replacing it?

Any other ideas on how to fix the split line? Cause what i did insnt working.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay...let me get this straight:

The "flexible" plastic line that runs from the top of the tank down to the fuel filter is split?

It sucks, but I'm pretty sure you can't get those anymore from GM (I tried a couple years back). You can, however, replace it with a braided line and the appropriate fittings - if you are interested, I'm sure you can get one of our sponsors to hook you up with the right parts.

As for getting to it...it is possible to get to that line without dropping the tank, but you will be required to cut a trap door. This isn't a huge deal, but some people don't like the idea. I did it to mine, and it allowed me to access everything I needed on top of the tank to replace that line on mine with a stainless braided piece.

If you don't want to do this, you are back to dropping the tank, which kinda sucks, but shouldn't be a huge deal either. Either way, replacing that line is your only option that I'm aware of.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by edge04
I wonder if you could reverse that to say fill a boat. Pump the gas out of the can and into the boat. I would of course look for a larger hose/fitting so you could use a larger hose.

Oh to the OP, hard to tell from the pic but are those rubber hoses? If so pinch em.
off topic, but yes. a buddy of mine just used a fuel pump to pump race gas out of a 55gal drum into our cars
Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Okay...let me get this straight:

The "flexible" plastic line that runs from the top of the tank down to the fuel filter is split?

It sucks, but I'm pretty sure you can't get those anymore from GM (I tried a couple years back). You can, however, replace it with a braided line and the appropriate fittings - if you are interested, I'm sure you can get one of our sponsors to hook you up with the right parts.

As for getting to it...it is possible to get to that line without dropping the tank, but you will be required to cut a trap door. This isn't a huge deal, but some people don't like the idea. I did it to mine, and it allowed me to access everything I needed on top of the tank to replace that line on mine with a stainless braided piece.

If you don't want to do this, you are back to dropping the tank, which kinda sucks, but shouldn't be a huge deal either. Either way, replacing that line is your only option that I'm aware of.

Ok i took new pictures so it is easier to explain.

The red circle is where i split it and took out the torn tube.

And the red line shows where the fuel line goes under neath the car and then into the frame.

So then my question is what will be the easiest way to fix it???
Old 10-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Your fuel system is modified from what it was stock, but I can't figure out what I'm looking at except maybe for the external pump.

It doesn't look like it goes to the stock fuel filter...is the stock filter even being used?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like an external booster pump that Tees back into the main lines before the stock filter. Doesnt appear to be on top of the tank at all

First off, replace those cheap worm clamps with some appropriate high pressure fuel injection clamps. Yes, I mean the $5-7 ea ones. I dont care how long you've been running them with no problems, they are flat out not rated for the 60psi LSx's operate at and can blow off at any time without warning

Quick Reply: Easiest way to drain the gas tank?