Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

E85 subsidies. Whats everyone's thought?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default E85 subsidies. Whats everyone's thought?

http://www.startribune.com/business/136838948.html

I'm still in the collecting parts stage and my motor setup depends on the fuel that I'm going to use. I was going to run around 11:1 for my boosted block on the corn. Now if corn prices increase to race gas prices, or worse gets dropped entirely, what is everyone that's running corn going to do?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will continue to use E85 as it is easier than arranging for 105 octane race fuel. Then I will reaffirm my stand to not vote for a Republican. In a worst case scenario I can make it at home. The stuff burns cool and clean without leaving deposits inside the engine.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hows your gas mileage on E85? Thinking about tuning my bolt on car on it.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
not good....lol.

Once you dial it in properly, expect a realistic loss of about 25% in mileage. If your fuel cost is reduced by 25% per gallon, well, it becomes a wash
Old 07-02-2012, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregory
I will continue to use E85 as it is easier than arranging for 105 octane race fuel. Then I will reaffirm my stand to not vote for a Republican. In a worst case scenario I can make it at home. The stuff burns cool and clean without leaving deposits inside the engine.
I agree. There are already a BUNCH of people running E85 from 50 gallon drums from racing fuel suppliers, and that stuff is not cheap like pump E85.

Maybe we can start importing some of that DIRT CHEAP sugar cane/cellulose based E98 that they make in Venezuala.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamantium
My GTO got an easy 17 city, 26 highway once tuned. There was no mileage reduction from 93 octane. The truck which is factory optimized for 87 octane gets 13/18 on E85 and 16/21 on 87 octane. So, if you optimize it properly you will not have any gas mileage problems.

I attached a picture of my GTO's piston after running E85 for three thousand miles. The piston is untouched other than a rag to soak up the anti-freeze that accumulated after pulling the heads.

The picture below is the cylinder to the left (#3) three thousand miles earlier. The carbon build-up was untouched by human hands. The E85 cleaned the piston!

After seeing the difference I understood why they call regular fuels "high carbon."
Attached Thumbnails E85 subsidies. Whats everyone's thought?-e85-clean.jpg   E85 subsidies. Whats everyone's thought?-93-octane.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

E85 subsidy ended 7 months ago. Its still way cheaper in the corn belt, and around 10% cheaper then reg gas here in the southeast. Run it, love it, wish more places had it.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i know it's been done for for a while. but at what point is it not worth it anymore? I'm looking at if they get rid of E85 entirely, what fuel does everyone turn to afterwards?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe there was a thread on e85performance.net about a year ago where there was government talk of a replacement fuel similar to methanol for use as an alternative. But, without doing a lot of searching I cannot say exactly.

Maybe some ground up and boiled Zombies would do the trick!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregory
Well some Republicans (initials RP) are in favor of legalizing industrial hemp, which from what I hear is ideal for making ethanol because it requires no drying. Anyways I'm not voting Republican or Democrat this time around for the presidency because there will be no difference. Libertarian party for me to let us have more alternatives, plus they were the first to call out the import tariff on ethanol from Brazil which they finally ended recently. Subsidies really are not a good thing if you understand economics though

To the OP I say go for it because you'll just be paying a little more if anything for the ethanol and I see benefits for you. In North Texas I find quite often at least and even down around here sometimes

Quick Reply: E85 subsidies. Whats everyone's thought?