Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car shows running lean

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car shows running lean

I just finished my H/C/I build and first had a cam sensor code pop up because I forgot to connect it at the front of engine. Fixed that and drove car for awhile with no codes. I put in some Bars radiator stop leak and right after I had a code pop up for lean bank 1 and 2(p0174 and p0171). Ive searched on here and lots of people say its a vacuum leak. I sent in my pcm to frost and told him I had a Racetronix Fuel Pump installed, which I had planned on but have not installed it yet. Could this be a possible reason it says running lean? Only other thing I have done was plug the PCV hose at the end that goes to front of engine. Otherwise I have no idea how could be a vacuum leak, I just dont want to try the car if it is actually running lean
Attached Thumbnails Car shows running lean-pcv-hose.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Data log[s] and a fuel psi check is in order............
Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

This thread is already filled with failure.
First off, why'd you use radiator stop leak? Did you have a radiator leak? If so, fix it. If you can't, don't drive it.
Second, you have a full build and you don't even have a proper tune? Get the damn thing dyno tuned. And stop driving it.
Third, if you don't have a mod, why'd you say you did?
Fourth, stop driving your damn car.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Oh Nicky don't get your panties in a bunch, the car is parked. I have been driving the car for a week before this code popped up. I will get the car on a dyno when I can get to one, closest is 4 hours away. Plenty of people do mail order tunes for the time being till they can get to a dyno. I have the fuel pump just haven't installed it yet. I really don't think its the pump. Ive put on 50 miles before this code came up. Ill check the car over quick to make sure I don't have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Can anyone tell me where that PCV hose is supposed to hook up to with a Fast92/92 combo? Should I just keep it plugged?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb Yep....

" I really don't think its the pump"... Nick is right!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:22 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

And there are plenty of idiots, it doesn't make it any better. The mail-order tune is pretty much to get your car driving to make it to the dyno shop. Of course you can drive it, but it's really not smart.
Does this picture help:
Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

By no means do I claim to be a mechanic. On my fast 92 tb there is no spot to hookup hose coming off front of the valve cover. It looks to me like u have your PVC hose connected to the intake which I can do but what should I do with hose coming off the valve cover. I've asked this question to numerous people including Texas speed and no one can answer it. Your right though nick I should have installed the fuel pump before driving it. Car didn't have the issue with running lean till I had 50 miles on it. Also did notice the PVC hose came unplugged from back of drivers side valve cover
Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

There should be a fitting on the throttle body that you connect the hose from the valve cover to.
Take some more detailed pictures of the setup, as well as the brand of your throttle body.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

You can see where there should be a spot to connect to on side of TB. Its a fast 92 bought from a member on here, never used
Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Here a side pic
Attached Thumbnails Car shows running lean-tb-photo.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Contact FAST and see if they sell the fitting that goes there. And see if it just unscrews or can be punched out. If not, just put a breather on the valve cover.
Also, your PCV hose should go where you have your valve cover vent hose now.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Just called fast, they said to contact Wilson and they could put a new one in for me. Curious why would someone remove that and fill the hole?? Thanks for the help Nick
Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

No problem.
If someone is running a boosted application, it is typical to run plug that fitting/hole and put a breather on the valve cover. This prevents you from pressurizing the crankcase and blowing the dipstick out while in boost.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Makes sense guy I bought it from was big into turbo vettes i think. Doesn't show car is running lean anymore but now it's havin a hell of a time idiling when it warmed up
Old 10-25-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of these symptoms seem like bad O2 sensors to me. Or just too cold to be happy.
There's two possibilities to the lean codes - bad fueling,
or bad sensing. Bad fueling can be bad air mass fidelity,
bad fuel pressure, bad injectors or injector data. Bad
sensing can be bad O2 sensors or cold, could be misfires
spoofing the sensors.

You've got some things to test, do it in an orderly way
starting with the stuff you have the tools for.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Go over everything again, make sure everything is good. Grounds are connected nice and tight, vacuum lines are in tact and attached correctly, all connections are all the way in and attached. Make sure your knock sensor is connected as well.
Then take it to be tuned. If your O2 sensors worked fine before, chances are that they are fine. If you've got the spare cash, you can swap them, but it is unlikely they just so happened to fail when you did the swap(unless you dropped them or damaged them).
Old 10-26-2012, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

not the O2 sensors because I ended up buying two new ones. You guys may have been right with the fuel pump. Ill try to get that installed this weekend. I did buy some used 36lb injectors that I'm starting to get nervous thinking they could be a problem. Ill go over everything. I've heard of the bolts coming loose on the fast intakes after being tightened down so I will re-torque them. I didn't use locktite on them. I did cap off the nipple at front of passenger valve cover and rerouted the pcv hose to intake.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Don't cap the nipple, put a breather on it. It needs to be vented to atmosphere, otherwise it could build pressure in the crankcase.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Ok where can i pick up a breather that would fit on that?

Quick Reply: Car shows running lean