Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

13:1+ Compression/Race Gas Discussion - Leaded/Unleaded/Oxygenated

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking 13:1+ Compression/Race Gas Discussion - Leaded/Unleaded/Oxygenated

I searched around some, but didn't get very many good threads about the questions I have.

Application:
Darton-sleeved 427 LS1
13:1-13.1:1 static compression (depending on head gasket chosen)
Auto-x/open track/weekend car

I found a large Phillips/Chevron Dealer in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and spoke to one of their technicians about the application.

We spoke about Phillips' different offerings of unleaded and leaded fuels. He recommended what they call TT111. This is a LEADED race fuel, however it is non-oxygenated he said. Because of this he said it would be fine with O2 sensors, just not with catalytic converters. He said LEAD kills catalytic converters, oxygen weight in gas kills O2 sensors. Is this correct?

This confused me, because I thought it was the leaded fuels that killed O2 sensors, but now I'm not 100% sure. I am of course running no cats, but will still have O2 sensors. Will this fuel work?

Secondly, will this fuel mix with regular 93 octane pump gas? A friend runs 12:1 with a ratio of 101 octane and 93, so I (hoped) I would be able to do do the same.

Philips also has a straight 100 octane UNLEADED fuel that is actually more per drum than the 111. The guy I spoke to said it would be pointless to use the 100 since it costs more and has a much lower octane rating.

So where are my 13:1 and up boys at. What are my fueling options here, and what can I get by with since it's still a street toy. I will have a drum or two of whatever fuel out in the shop with the car so I can still go tooling around on the weekends. This is not a track only car, although it's getting closer every day.

Here is a link to the fuels.

http://www.cpchem.com/fuels/products/racingfuels.asp

The guy told me it's the best fuel out there (likely biased). He is also a distributor for VP fuels, but he said between the big names (Sunoco, VP, Phillips) Phillips wins hands down. Any other opinions?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by Cricket99SS; 04-15-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:51 PM

You will screw up your 02 sensors if you use leaded fuel,and possiby your injectors. You really don't need to use leaded fuel. An oxygenated fuel will not hurt anything either. It just does not work that way. I know that the fellow employed at the fuel dealer said what he said, but that doesn't mean he's right. I have friends and have known people that are into circle track racing. There is a product that is made by Price Chemical that will turn 93 octane pump gas into a race grade fuel that will reliably support a compression ratio from 12.5:1 to 13.0:1 . You could take your 100 octane unleaded and combine one of their nitro mixes and go even higher octane wise. It is a race grade product, that's how I found out about it.You will have oxygenated over 100 octane without the hight cost. Some of them use this stuff in sprint cars. Here's a link to a parallel topic thread on something close to this.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/161130-octane-enhancement.html

Last edited by sawedoff; 04-17-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Wow so what he said and your say are exact opposites. Now I'm really confused. I'm going to check out this chemical you are talking about.

Where are the rest of the big cube high compression boys at, I know some of you guys run high compression, I just don't think anyone is reading this.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,181 Likes on 765 Posts

I think the lead is what kills 02 sensors. Leaded gas is leaded gas, not sure what your point was. My car would lose an 02 within 5 miles of putting in leaded gas.

You could also look into running an speed density tune and tune for leaded gas.

I've seen someone tune a car on 110 leaded. He ran 36 degrees of timing in his setup.

I run VP C12 (108 motor octane) leaded and my total compression with the blower is maybe around 15:1.

I'd run 104 unleaded with your car for dyno testing and go from there.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

104 unleaded should work fine. You can also buy 110 unleaded. I would NOT run leaded in the car on the street with closed loop operation.

Quick Reply: 13:1+ Compression/Race Gas Discussion - Leaded/Unleaded/Oxygenated