Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Questions about E85

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about E85

So I’ve been wanting to go from 93 to E85. Guy that tuned my car even said it might be a good idea. I just have a few questions about it before I buy bigger injectors and fuel pump.
#1 Would it be worth it? It’s a H/C/I/E car the heads are 862 5.3 worked over by TSP so I know my compression is higher than stock I’m guessing 10.9 maybe 11 not really sure. Premium gas prices here are on average 3.50 a gallon and I can get E85 at around 2.10 a gallon from a few gas stations around me. It’s a lot cheaper but I know it’ll burn a lot faster. How much faster I don’t know.
#2 how long can E85 sit in injectors and lines before stuff gets messed up? I don’t daily drive my car really at all I try to drive it on weekend and some week days to work. At most the car sits for about a week maybe a week and a half. But the winter time the car is stored in my garage from September-February maybe March. Would it be fine sitting through winter with E85 in it?
#3 last and final thing really is, is there anything I should watch out for when switching? Planning on going with 80lb Deka injectors and a Walbro 450 fuel pump. Everything else is stock. Will probably do a K&N fuel filter when I do the switch.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It's only really worth it if you advance the timing and the car makes more power with that timing. Some cars don't make more power with more timing than what they have already with 93 octane, so they don't benefit nearly as much. My tuner and I went through this on my car a while back
Old 05-23-2018, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
It's only really worth it if you advance the timing and the car makes more power with that timing. Some cars don't make more power with more timing than what they have already with 93 octane, so they don't benefit nearly as much. My tuner and I went through this on my car a while back
makes sense. Still haven’t made my decision on it. I want to because it’s literally like 1.50 cheaper a gallon and there a gas station a mile from my house that has it but I also don’t wanna pay the money for injectors fuel pump and another tune if I don’t make any power off it at all
Old 05-23-2018, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

If you run E85 use the Stabil for Alcohol fuel, OR use a alcohol fuel lube for storage,, I use Klotz but there are several brands..

Alchohol has roughly 20% less energy than gasoline (Ethanol or Methanol) so
E85 gets real roughly about 85% of 20% less mileage than straight gas.
So if your getting 10 MPG now you'll drop to 8 to 9 MPG.. (Just rough example your tune has way more impact... )

Because of the extra fuel pumped by allowing the timing advance and such, at full power you'll see
Way more torque usually before you see a big HP jump..

As a small example I helped convert a Dwarf car with a 1300 GXR motor from race gas to Methanol,
we had to almost triple the size of the fuel cell to carry enough gas to make the car finish a 20 minute session.
Cylinder head temps dropped in half, We were seeing momentary temps as high as 550 on race gas, (YES thats bad) with the Methanol
we dropped to 175 and had a hard time keeping the engine warm..
On a 45 degree day we had to cover the engine with a blanket to get it warmed up.

Dont run any car on alcohol without getting it fully to temperature, they are 10 times as bad about
condensing moisture and it takes a while to burn it out of the oil. If I was storing a car up for more than a
few weeks I'd flush the fuel system with regular gas and change the oil.. ON race cars I started adding a "T"
on the supply and return with dump valves so I could run the engine over to gas then shut it off with
regular fuel in the lines and injectors, we have bowl drains on all the carved engines to make draining the alcohol easy.
Added a switch to the main pump in the tank so we can turn it off during the flushing process.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I run a Flex fuel setup and my tune uses about 38% more fuel @ 85% ethanol. When it comes to sitting 2-3 weeks you'll be fine, If it's going to sit for months just run the tank low and throw a few gallons of 93 in it and maybe some stabil.
Power wise you might pick up some power and should pick up some torque (most do). If you're engine is knock limited then running E85 should gain power.

You could also look into a flex fuel setup if your ECM supports it.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LS_Power
So I’ve been wanting to go from 93 to E85. Guy that tuned my car even said it might be a good idea. I just have a few questions about it before I buy bigger injectors and fuel pump.
#1 Would it be worth it? It’s a H/C/I/E car the heads are 862 5.3 worked over by TSP so I know my compression is higher than stock I’m guessing 10.9 maybe 11 not really sure. Premium gas prices here are on average 3.50 a gallon and I can get E85 at around 2.10 a gallon from a few gas stations around me. It’s a lot cheaper but I know it’ll burn a lot faster. How much faster I don’t know. Usually about 25-35% more, depending on your tune
#2 how long can E85 sit in injectors and lines before stuff gets messed up? I don’t daily drive my car really at all I try to drive it on weekend and some week days to work. At most the car sits for about a week maybe a week and a half. But the winter time the car is stored in my garage from September-February maybe March. Would it be fine sitting through winter with E85 in it? Ethanol is not corrosive like methanol is. You can leave it sit forever without worrying about it eating parts.
#3 last and final thing really is, is there anything I should watch out for when switching? Planning on going with 80lb Deka injectors and a Walbro 450 fuel pump. Everything else is stock. Will probably do a K&N fuel filter when I do the switch.
3. Adding a blower at the same will require a fuel system that can deliver the volume you need. You'll need at least 3/8" (-6 AN), depending on your expected power levels; 1/2" (-8 AN) is not out of the question, either.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
If you run E85 use the Stabil for Alcohol fuel, OR use a alcohol fuel lube for storage,, I use Klotz but there are several brands..

Alchohol has roughly 20% less energy than gasoline (Ethanol or Methanol) so
E85 gets real roughly about 85% of 20% less mileage than straight gas.
So if your getting 10 MPG now you'll drop to 8 to 9 MPG.. (Just rough example your tune has way more impact... )

Because of the extra fuel pumped by allowing the timing advance and such, at full power you'll see
Way more torque usually before you see a big HP jump..

As a small example I helped convert a Dwarf car with a 1300 GXR motor from race gas to Methanol,
we had to almost triple the size of the fuel cell to carry enough gas to make the car finish a 20 minute session.
Cylinder head temps dropped in half, We were seeing momentary temps as high as 550 on race gas, (YES thats bad) with the Methanol
we dropped to 175 and had a hard time keeping the engine warm..
On a 45 degree day we had to cover the engine with a blanket to get it warmed up.

Dont run any car on alcohol without getting it fully to temperature, they are 10 times as bad about
condensing moisture and it takes a while to burn it out of the oil. If I was storing a car up for more than a
few weeks I'd flush the fuel system with regular gas and change the oil.. ON race cars I started adding a "T"
on the supply and return with dump valves so I could run the engine over to gas then shut it off with
regular fuel in the lines and injectors, we have bowl drains on all the carved engines to make draining the alcohol easy.
Added a switch to the main pump in the tank so we can turn it off during the flushing process.
I think I’m just gonna do thyou full E85 and not worry about the flex fuel set up. I rather spend $1.50 less a gallon and make more power. Pretty sure I’m only at 26 degrees of timing right now so there should be room for more power with E85
Old 05-23-2018, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

makes sense. Still haven’t made my decision on it. I want to because it’s literally like 1.50 cheaper a gallon and there a gas station a mile from my house that has it but I also don’t wanna pay the money for injectors fuel pump and another tune if I don’t make any power off it at all
I hear ya man, and the whole fuel injector and fuel pump thing is why I didn't do it myself. I might do meth though since I won't have to touch the pump or injectors. If it were me i'd get it on a dyno and advance the timing bit by bit, see what it does, weather it starts to knock and/or makes more power or not. In my case the most I can run is 26 degrees timing on 93 without knock, but my car wants around 29-30 for peak power, so I'm sure id pick up 20-25 with that and E85. Have you looked into meth kits as well?
Old 05-23-2018, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

If you run a methanol adder kit just make sure the car gets a nice long cool down
run to clear the methanol out of the engine before shutting it down,
Methanol + aluminum = massive corrosion if water/vapor is present.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

I hear ya man, and the whole fuel injector and fuel pump thing is why I didn't do it myself. I might do meth though since I won't have to touch the pump or injectors. If it were me i'd get it on a dyno and advance the timing bit by bit, see what it does, weather it starts to knock and/or makes more power or not. In my case the most I can run is 26 degrees timing on 93 without knock, but my car wants around 29-30 for peak power, so I'm sure id pick up 20-25 with that and E85. Have you looked into meth kits as well?
well when I went and got it tuned by a different shop the other week the guy did the first pull then after laughed because the shop before had 31 degrees of timing in my car and said that was to much for my setup. I ended with I think 26 degrees somewhere around there. So my car was running on 31 degrees for a good month and it ran fine so maybe if I go E85 we can put more timing in it and make more power
Old 05-23-2018, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
If you run a methanol adder kit just make sure the car gets a nice long cool down
run to clear the methanol out of the engine before shutting it down,
Methanol + aluminum = massive corrosion if water/vapor is present.
hmm interesting. Never even thought about running a methanol kit so I have no idea what that includes or what it does honestly lol
Old 05-23-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

well when I went and got it tuned by a different shop the other week the guy did the first pull then after laughed because the shop before had 31 degrees of timing in my car and said that was to much for my setup. I ended with I think 26 degrees somewhere around there. So my car was running on 31 degrees for a good month and it ran fine so maybe if I go E85 we can put more timing in it and make more power
But you don't know if it made any more power at 31 vs 26 right?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

But you don't know if it made any more power at 31 vs 26 right?
he did a baseline pull without even putting th computer on it and it made 323 with that 31 degrees then he started tuning it and it ended at 376 hp with 26 degrees
Old 05-24-2018, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I’m just gonna do thyou full E85 and not worry about the flex fuel set up. I rather spend $1.50 less a gallon and make more power. Pretty sure I’m only at 26 degrees of timing right now so there should be room for more power with E85
You are aware that pump E85 varies pretty significantly from station to station? If you have the car tuned for a specific fuel you'll always have to run that fuel. Testing the fuel at the station. If you don't want to test the ethanol content every time you get gas you're going to need to switch to flex fuel.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
You are aware that pump E85 varies pretty significantly from station to station? If you have the car tuned for a specific fuel you'll always have to run that fuel. Testing the fuel at the station. If you don't want to test the ethanol content every time you get gas you're going to need to switch to flex fuel.
yeah I know. There’s a gas station literally a mile from my house that sells E85 and the other closest ones are like 3-4 miles so I’ll just always use the one that’s closest to my house
Old 05-24-2018, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
I have heard the same thing. The first couple of seasons that I started using e-85, I tested every batch. But they were pretty much dead on. Maybe some very small variations, but functionally the same. After that, I didn't bother testing any more. I probably should do a spot check every once in a while, though.

I think the big variation is in the winter. But I'v never purchased and tested in the winter, so maybe not.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:53 PM
8 Second Club

Don't expect the huge gains switching to E85 that some claim. My 13:1 416 with LS9 heads was optimized for high compression and E85 when built but the reality in track testing back to back between E85 and 100 Sunoco was only about .03 change in ET which could be the fuel or just normal track day anomolies.
If the gas tune is optimized at 11:1 compression changing to E85 won't be much benefit unless you are heavily leaning on a power adder. The low cost of E85 will be somewhat offset by much higher fuel consumption.

This is a Drag Week NA street car so E85 vs. hauling race fuel makes economical sense. The car has a Holley HP system with 83lb injectors and yes different AFR and spark trims were tested with each fuel. One thing I noticed about the E85 is that it is not as sensitive to AFR and timing changes as gas is.

I've stored the car for as long as 3 months without touching it in my hot Florida shop with no ill effects to the fuel in the car, jugs, or the fuel system however I run a dehumidifier and always keep the humidity at 50% or lower. The only failures I had was a Holley HP pump that died at 1,500 miles and one Holley injector that gummed up and flow dropped by 20%.