Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

A ? about fuel rail safety..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A ? about fuel rail safety..

Hi folks. Awesome forum. I've been lurking for about 4 hours, and this is my first post.

Anyway, I have been thinking about buying some fuel rails and while looking at what is available I noticed that none of the aftermarket fuel rails appear to have provisions for the metal clips used on the stock rails to hold on the injectors. How can this be?

I know it sounds kinda namby-pamby, but I don't really feel like an LS1 car-b-q any time soon.

Have there never been any instances of fuel rails/injectors becoming seperated? If so why are companies able to sell them sans clip boss and not fear the liability issue (if any to begin with..)?

Thanks for reading folks
Old 04-19-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt your aftermarket rails will go anywhere. They are extremly beefy and well built. I love my Nasty Fuel rails.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Teching In

And I believe it too. I'm sure nobody would be selling these if they were at all likely to seperate.

Which brings up another question; why would Chevy include them (read: spend more money) if they're not necessary? Just to be really safe?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

They're more than likely there for assembly ease. Imagine racks of assembled fuel rail assemblies hanging with injectors installed waiting to be mated to their intake manifolds.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:53 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I get a little scared about the rails coming off on these with a stock intake. When I kick my fuel pumps on the rails pop up a good 1/8-3/16" from the plastic on the intake flexing and I dont want to know what would happen if one of those brass inserts popped out of the plastic intake

Most people dont notice since they are in the car when the pumps are turned on but I have a pushbutton under my hood to kick the pumps on to drain fuel out of the car and its amazing how far those rails move when you kick the pumps on..
Old 04-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Wow. Thats something to think about...
Old 04-20-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow, that is something that I never really thought about, wonder why aftermarkets is forgetting the clips.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:38 PM
FormerVendor

Not forgetting they are not needed at all. Like said before they are there for assembly ease. Also if you look the injectors fit into the aftermarket rails much further than the stock stamped rails. We have thousands of race cars using way more pressure than stock without clips and have never seen a problem.

Nate
Old 04-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Thanks for chiming in Nate. I was looking at your fuel rails and they seem to be well liked by the community here. I was interested in hearing what you might have to say on this. Your answer is as I expected, and I'm glad.

While pondering this topic I thought about my old vw rabbit. It had fuel lines stuck into the head (no rail) that were held there by o-rings alone. Those cis fuel pumps created like 80-100 psi. I'm not sure what kind of pressure the injectors saw but it was probably a bit. Point is I've never even heard of a rabbit (or any other similar CIS powered car) popping off a fuel line.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.