Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Anyone have pics of nasty fuel system with exhaust? Help with this system

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have pics of nasty fuel system with exhaust? Help with this system

I can't get this nasty performance fuel system to work right to save my life. The pump constantly is freaking out on me. The pressure starts going all over the place and I am not able to drive it. Are these pumps prone to overheating (weldon 600a). Is the pump bad? The last time it did this, I lifted the car up and the tank was pretty hot, pump too. I know this sounds like cavitation but why? The exhaust wasn't even installed at the time so I don't think that was contributing to the heat. All that was on was headers and a y-pipe. the exhaust i had before I installed this fuel system would have touched the tank if I installed it. I need to put an exhaust on the car and make this fuel system reliable. ANY input from guys with this system and pictures would be greatly appreciated. I have a 5-6 hour drive to make this weekend (26-28th) and I just know this fuel system is going to take a crap on me while I am driving. Am I the only one having problems with this system (pump especially)? Please help, I feel like selling this set-up and putting back my stock tank and aeromotive pump.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

My pump has not overheated. I drove in traffic for about 3-4 hours with no problems whatsoever. I am running an X-pipe with bullet style mufflers dumped before the axle and turned down towards the ground.

Is your fuel line feeding the rails routed close to the headers or anything else that gives off a lot of heat?

You have the pump hot wired off a relay right? Are you sure you are getting a good ground?

Just places to start if you haven't already checked.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Well, I am using the same wiring I was using for an aeromotive a1000 that I had prior that never had this problem so i wasn't thinking wiring, there is one place that the fuel lines are close to the y-pipe but I wouldn't think it would be the cause of that. I'll reroute them anyways and see if that helps.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown408
My pump has not overheated. I drove in traffic for about 3-4 hours with no problems whatsoever. I am running an X-pipe with bullet style mufflers dumped before the axle and turned down towards the ground.

Is your fuel line feeding the rails routed close to the headers or anything else that gives off a lot of heat?

You have the pump hot wired off a relay right? Are you sure you are getting a good ground?

Just places to start if you haven't already checked.
what fuel pressure are you running?
Old 05-20-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by andyws6
what fuel pressure are you running?
58 psi.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Why did you switch from the A1000? I need to get a bigger pump, or another one.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

When I was first doing research on Nasty's system, I was under the impression the weldon 600a was a stronger pump. I am planning on running around 750rwhp forced induction. I was told the weldon could support 900+. But from recent reading, my thoughts were wrong. I am pretty disappointed in the entire system honestly. ( tank design and fit, vapor tube spilling gas, pump acting up and doesn't support hp I thought it would and sending unit not reading until 7 gallons in tank). I know nate at nasty really strives to produce the best product he can and I am not trying to discredit him at all. He is a great guy, but if I could do it over again, I would sump a 98 tank and keep the aeromotive. It would have been more reliable and much less costly. (funny how all to solutions come to you once you've already spent 2000 dollars to replace things that come to find out didn't need to be replaced).
Old 05-20-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

When I was first doing research on Nasty's system, I was under the impression the weldon 600a was a stronger pump. I am planning on running around 750rwhp forced induction. I was told the weldon could support 900+. But from recent reading, my thoughts were wrong. I am pretty disappointed in the entire system honestly. ( tank design and fit, vapor tube spilling gas, pump acting up and doesn't support hp I thought it would and sending unit not reading until 7 gallons in tank). I know nate at nasty really strives to produce the best product he can and I am not trying to discredit him at all. He is a great guy, but if I could do it over again, I would sump a 98 tank and keep the aeromotive. It would have been more reliable and much less costly. (funny how all to solutions come to you once you've already spent 2000 dollars to replace things that come to find out didn't need to be replaced).
I hear ya.. I would have spent the extra money to do it right the first time. All I would have needed to hear was "you need two of these pumps to be safe" or "run one of these and you can be on the ragged edge of your goal" which was 800rwhp. Be careful running only one of those pumps. I think I replied in another one of your threads, but mine ran out before I got there, without being boost referenced.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:30 AM
9 Second Club

I pmed Nate guys. Since my pump is allready defective from the start and has very little miles on it, I am just going to upgrade to the weldon D2025-A. My buddie runs his viper on the street at around 900 rwhp and 1200+ on the spray with no problems. Now that being said he did get the 14000 Dial-A-Flow Voltage Regulator and it helps. This pump is loud and I dont plan on driving around much. Maybe 30 miles at the most anyway. I am also going to return this fuel lab regulator and ask for a Weldon 2040 series regulator. Since this is what Weldon reconmends. I was under the impression that this 600a would hold.But it doesnt and being that my car really hasnt been driven and the stuff is new I just want to swap this stuff out and pay the difference. I called Weldon and they reconmend a bigger pump for my application. I think that is fair. But that is my side of it and I am waiting on Nate to reply. He did get back with me about it and I have not been online for days since I had to move. So hang in there your not alone. Im sure nate will get to us. Here is his reply to me

I am working on some new options for pumps for more power.

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 05-20-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:11 PM
9 Second Club

TTT Still no reply from Nate!
Old 05-20-2006, 09:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run into the same issue with my SX pump (the original before the Weldon).

It's happened a couple times now. I knew it could be a potential problem due to the volume of fuel being re-circulated . The smaller size of the tank also results in less fuel to keep the pump cool. That's why I never drive for too long a time with 1/2 tank of gas and never with anything less.

My lines follow the stock line route and are all tucked behind heat shields. They're also wrapped in a heat reflective sleeve by the one spot that's close to the y-pipe.

My Borla exhaust is still they're. Just needed the BFH to "clearance" the case near the sump. The heat shield is also still in place. Just used a little creative cutting. The sump itself is wrapped in heat reflective tape on the parts that are not covered by the shield.

I picked up an aeromotive controller to try and run the pump slower when just cruising. Like I stated in your other thread, it's not hooked up yet.

I'll take some pics tommorrow if you like.

As for your trip, this will be a pain. Don't let your fuel run to low and make more stops to add cool fuel. I'm hoping that controller works out for you because I'm in the same boat.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:16 AM
9 Second Club

Dont you just love buying problems LOL

What I feel like after I have spent all this money on a fuel system
Old 05-21-2006, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Dont you just love buying problems LOL

What I feel like after I have spent all this money on a fuel system
AMEN.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown408
My pump has not overheated. I drove in traffic for about 3-4 hours with no problems whatsoever. .
O.k. so I drove it today for 30 minutes and it didn't act up but when I felt the tank after driving, it was pretty freakin hot. I think it would have acted up soon though. I don't think it is from the exhaust though, i think it is just heating up in the engine and being returned to the tank so how do I make it so I can drive around 3-4 hours? Is your tank hot after driving? You have the weldon 600a right? could the pump be defective? My aeromotive never did this. why the change?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:11 AM
TECH Regular

O.k. so I drove it today for 30 minutes and it didn't act up but when I felt the tank after driving, it was pretty freakin hot. I think it would have acted up soon though. I don't think it is from the exhaust though, i think it is just heating up in the engine and being returned to the tank so how do I make it so I can drive around 3-4 hours? Is your tank hot after driving? You have the weldon 600a right? could the pump be defective? My aeromotive never did this. why the change?
I have never checked my tank after driving. I am running the 600A. I did notce I am getting a little fuel drip off the end of the pump. It looks like it is coming out of where the end screws into pump body. I will have to check it out more when I get time, but I don't like the idea of this pump leaking already.

I don't see the engine heating up your fuel enough to make your tank hot. If you think about how fast the fuel is flowing through the lines, and the amount of fuel in the tank, I wouldn't think it could heat up that much. I could be wrong though. Do you have your pump hotwired straight from a relay or are you going through the Aeromotive controller?

Did you put your exhaust on or are you still running with a Y-pipe only? This could be the cause from the heat. The hot exhaust blowing directly back towards the tank while you are driving could be heating your tank. Is your pump on the same side that your y-pipe joins together at?
Old 05-23-2006, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

I have the aeromotive controller hooked up and I did put the exhaust back on with the exception of a muffler. It now dumps out towards the ground at the t-top area. I drove it for about an hour yesterday and sure enough, it started going crazy again. the tank does get pretty hot but I don't think there is anything else I can do to make it run cooler. I am in the process of trying to put the a1000 back on. I need a few fittings but hopefully i can get it to fit and running again. You know, things get hot on a car, I can't see why the fuel pump would be that volatile.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:36 AM
FormerVendor

I have told both of you I will replace your pumps with different pumps. We are working on getting ahold of Some new MagnaFuel inline street pumps that will handle more power and are not suppose to have any heat issues. You may just have a bad pump as I have sold about 50- 600A pumps and no issues from any others. Like I said I am willing to swap out both pumps for you guys to find out the problems.

Nate
Old 05-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Coal Mining Director

nuff said.