Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

braided line interior turned to black sludge..what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default braided line interior turned to black sludge..what gives?

has anyone here had this occur? I recently replaced my intank pumps with a sumped tank and an aeromotive A1000 pump.. I disconnected the line to the prefilter to drain a littl fuel fromt he tank and nothing came out.. I then removed the fitting to the sump and the fuel flowed steady about 6 gallons worth until dry.. I inspected the short 1.5' line between the tank and the prefilter and could not see through it... I put a screw driver down into it and was horrified to find a black melted looking rubbery sludge.. luckily I have not run the car yet since the new pump installation but I have 20' of this -10 line I am now terrified is the same way post pump.. what gives, anyone else have this happen? is there different braided line to be used for fuel? nothing was written when I was purchasing it, it is aeroquip braided line purchased from summit racing. help!

Chris
Old 07-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Coal Mining Director

That's why I now run teflon line SS hoses. Gasoline Admixtures can break down synthetic rubber lined hoses.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, certain hose materials aren't compatible with gasoline. different fuels themselve's sometimes require different material.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Launching!

onfire,

who makes the teflon hose, and where can it be purchased from? I have not found anything in summit or on the net after searching.. very interested.this is the only thing that is keeping me from getting the car back on the road. your help is greatly appreciated!

Chris
Old 07-16-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Aeroquip...

Has the teflon hose... Not cheap, and is shown to be available only up to -8, in the catalog. Also, requires different fittings....

I've used the Aero rubber stainless braided for many yrs, and find the only problem[s] to be: Gas smell leaching thru the hose, and stinking up the shop.
And, it will get hard and become stiff after some period of time.
I use race gas, and methanol, as fuels, and have never seen the liner melt...
Are you sure its a part of the hose, or did it come from the tank??? Try cleaning it out, and look at the liner, to see if it's actually the problem.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Launching!

I just came up from inspecting the rest of the hose, it is not coming from the tank.. it actually has started to leak through the hose and drip, after removing a length of the hose and disecting it on a band saw length wise, it has dissolved the rubber liner to the braided steel inner liner. the tank is still in the exact same condition as when I cleaned it the first time. smooth interior finish of the rubber bladder and the bulkhead fitting I used to sump the tank is sealed completely still.. clean fuel drains from the through hull fitting. this is definately a problem with the fuel lines themselves. I am considering going to aluminum hard lines at this point for fear of another instance of this. I have also used the braided hose and am aware of the fuel smell that seeps from the lines which is alittle unnerving to me as well. I just want my fuel system to be trustworthy and I think going to aluminum is the only way I can be 100% sure there is not a dissolving issue that may clog filters and or pumps and injectors causing damage to my engine. and the aluminum fuel line is tremendously less expensive. I am sure the trade off for ease of installation will be hassle, but when all is said and done I think I will be able to leave it be and depend on it again.

Chris
Old 07-17-2006, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

We have self assemble Teflon hose; it is not inexpensive by any means. We offer crimped custom length SS Teflon hose that is much less, you just have to do some planning for the lengths you'll need.

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop/home.php?cat=261

Matt
Old 07-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
We have self assemble Teflon hose; it is not inexpensive by any means. We offer crimped custom length SS Teflon hose that is much less, you just have to do some planning for the lengths you'll need.

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop/home.php?cat=261

Matt
They make great fuel line hose.....I'm currently using it.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt @ HSW is awesome to work with on any project ! I will be calling you for more custom teflon lines
Old 07-18-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I hope this will not be a problem for me... I just bought all the same stuff and have been running it for a month or so now, with another month or so of it sitting full of fuel. Im actually about to replace my filters for the first time so we'll see if its an issue for me.

The thing is, before purchasing this line I read in Aeroquips catalog the return style fuel systems cause the fuel to oxidize, potentially causing the line itself to deteriorate. I spoke with several companies about this (mostly sponsors) as well as Summit's tech department. Not a single person told me it would be a problem. Someone at Speed inc told me they had the same stuff in their car for years without a problem.
If it turns out to be a problem, summit is gonna hear it hardcore! Since their tech department told me not to worry about it, they can pay for replacements!
Thats alot of money I spent with them, and the outcome of any problems I have will definitely make or break the fact of me being a longtime customer.

Just in case, are there any other lines available that will hold up and still be compatable with my Aeroquip fittings?
That would drop about 500 off the price of replacing this fuel system..
Old 07-18-2006, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Fire67
Just in case, are there any other lines available that will hold up and still be compatable with my Aeroquip fittings?
That would drop about 500 off the price of replacing this fuel system..
It might be compatible with their (Aeroquip) Teflon hose. So far all the self assembly Teflon hose that I have seen has had its own end fittings.

Matt