Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

SVO 30's flow WHAT ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SVO 30's flow WHAT ???

SVO 30#ers will actually flow between 36-40#'s on the LS1 right? Correct me if Im wrong.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i talked to my tuner and he said its flows like a 36lb injector
Old 04-08-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Go here:

http://www.marcintology.com/tuning/injectors.xls

Remember they are rated at 40 psi not 43.5 to flow 30 #/hr.

Perry
Old 04-08-2007, 02:15 AM
12 Second Club

its weird that you posted this because i just talked to my tuner last night and when i asked him about switching injectors, he said svo 30lb inj. are like 36lb injectors....it came as a suprise to me
Old 04-08-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

They flow a bit under 32 #/hr in my LT1s with 43.5 psi fuel pressure.

I don't use them in my 402, but do trust that spreadsheet.

Perry
Old 04-08-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkincy
Go here:

http://www.marcintology.com/tuning/injectors.xls

Remember they are rated at 40 psi not 43.5 to flow 30 #/hr.

Perry
as per extensive discussion (look in the stickies in PCM section), i use 43.5psi (3bar) as the rated flow for the 30s and 42s.

if you want to avoid such confusion altogether, get yourself a set of flow-matched injectors and you'll know _exactly_ what they flow at given fuel pressure.

here's an example of what you should be looking at:
http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...vo-42s-is.html
Old 04-08-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
as per extensive discussion (look in the stickies in PCM section), i use 43.5psi (3bar) as the rated flow for the 30s and 42s.

if you want to avoid such confusion altogether, get yourself a set of flow-matched injectors and you'll know _exactly_ what they flow at given fuel pressure.

here's an example of what you should be looking at:
http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...vo-42s-is.html
I am glad yours flow 30 #/hr at 3 bar. All 3 sets of mine (SVO 30s) flow 32 #/hr at 3 bar. Use what works for you. I will use what works for me.

If you want a spreadsheet of rating and flow capacity data, let me know by pm. I have it around here somewhere. Unfortunately it does not have the SVO injectors but it does have most of the Ford OEM injectors and the motors and the rated pressure and the flow rates at those rated pressures.

Perry

Actually I just reread the 11 page thread in the sticky and you are the only one of several dozen people posting that is insisting they are rated at 3 bar. There is conflicting data from Ford but the only conflict is whether or not they are rated at 39.15 psi or 40 psi. You did provide a flow bench test of some SVO 42s that were tested (not rated) at 3 bar and they flowed 43.2 #/hour on average. So even your "hard data" indicates they are not rated at 3 bar as they flow more than the rated flow rate when tested at 3 bar.

Again, you may refuse to face facts but don't confuse the folks that are trying for real information not internetmation. This internet rumour that the SVOs are rated at 3 bar started sometime around the advent of the LSx series of engines. Those of us that used (or still use) them in our LTx motors always have know what they were rated at. Ford very seldom (not never but very seldom) rates there injector flows at 3 bar. Most are rated at rail pressure which is generally in the 33 to 39 psi range. Even that has anomalies, but most are in the 30s.

Last edited by pkincy; 04-08-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

perry,
if you're flowing 32# @3bar, then you you have 30.7#@40psi, so yes, it looks like the 40psi rating is closer to advertised rate. but then again, i've worked with injectors officially sold as 42s flowing between 40.7 to 44.2. it really depends on which end of the spectrum you get. sometimes you get lucky. doesnt' mean other will tho, unfortunatelly.

about the sticky discussion... did you find the post where it says that there's few different part numbers for 'the same' bosch 30#? would that possibly have to do anything with different numbers we keep bumping into?

the flow bench test was done on a particular set of injectors picked as a set because they all flowed right around a particular number. it does not prove that 42s are 'rated' at 3bar or any other number. the only thing that it proved that this particular set flowed some particular number X at the 3bar they test all their injectors with. every set is going to be a little different. all i'm saying is buy flowmatched, and use the rated numbers of your particular set. it doesn't matter at what pressure it's tested, as long as we know what pressure it was. that's why the spreadsheet has the rated fuel pressure as a variable and not a hard coded constant, i wanted to account for reality, not what marketing is trying to have us believe.

there is no 'hard numbers' with this stuff. fuel pressure is a bitch to measure, as it needs the full Bernoulli equation which would require us to measure the speed of fuel in the rail, so that ain't gonna happen. our fuel systems suck and pressures drop off, voltage at the fuel pump drops for no good reason, etc....there's a lot of variables here, measure as much as you need every little bit to get closer to the truth. however, all i'm saying is that if you must work with nonflowed injectors, using 3bar for 'rated' fuel pressure have never caused me any problems, and in few cases it actually yielded the same fuel trims after injector swap as before. could it be that my less flowing injectors numbers would average out nicely with slightly higher fuel pressure? sure. but what's the probability of all these variables (battery voltage, fuel pump flow, injector flow, fuel pressure throughout the full range of pressures and rpms) would yield same final fueling before and after injector swap? i'm guessing here, but i'd say slim. any guys good with statistics wanna take on this?

Perry, kudos on not taking internetmation (great word, btw) and checking 'the facts.' There's entirely too much groupthink and self-propagating myths on forums, we definitely need more. I'm working with a company that does flowmatching all kinds of injectors (imports, low-z, bosch, you name it) to get really solid numbers on at least the popular ones so there is no more guessing.