Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Magnafuel pump blowing/melting fuses, fuel tank, lines, pump getting hot.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:22 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magnafuel pump blowing/melting fuses, fuel tank, lines, pump getting hot.

So about a month or so ago I had a problem one day where I blew fuses on my magnafuel 750 pump. It ended up being my dead battery causing that problem. So its been fine for awhile now, running a 25A fuse. But today I drove across town to a buddies to weld some stuff up and I get close to home and car dies going about 20 MPH. No fuel pump. I replace the fuse, it looks melted and blown. Its black and very obviously melted. I get another 1/4 mile and it blows again. One more time (I carry alot of fuses lol) and I get home (another 1/4 mile maybe) and it blows that fuse the second I get in the garage. I check the fuel pump and its hot. I can keep my hand on it but its hot. But heres whats interesting: EVERYTHING was hot, I mean the fuel lines, the metal fuel cell, everything. I think my fuel is getting hot, the pump is getting hot, and pulling high amperage. I had about 1/4 tank.

I've noticed that my fuel mileage really sucks, even for a 750 RWHP car. I don't beat on it much, never WOT on the street for more than a second cause it just spins anyway. But I'm getting REALLY bad mileage. Maybe I'm getting the fuel hot and boiling it out? My sheet metal fuel cell is vented. Is this possible? I don't have any fuel leaks, but I get maybe 4 or 5 MPG in town.

Would a fuel cooler help enough? This is weird, I thought the Magnafuel pumps were able to handle this. It was about 90 degrees here today, if it matters.

I'm bummed, I hate being scared to drive my car for fear of getting stranded.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok we both our setups about the same time.... can i see how you vented your tank. i believe several members did not like how i did mine but i have NO issues what so ever with my setup. cooling temps or fuel problems. im thinking your vented tank is plugged and now is making your setup fail.

btw ive driven 200+ miles during a gtg napa wine cruise here in CA in one day and had no issues
Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Actually, I vented mine exactly like yours. I used an overflow tank with a breather on it. I can hear fuel "burping" in the cell when I shut the car off. I'll check the vent tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah check that first, because that will make your pump work very hard
hope thats all it is and its all good after
Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is one hell of a pump for 750 hp you are moving alot of unnecessary fuel that is a 2000hp pump. What size lines are you running with it? A cooler will help considerably but I would step down the pump. There 4302 will feed 750-800rwhp and there 4301 will feed 1200rwhp.

Nate
Old 09-26-2007, 03:03 AM
Banned

Nate , That goes completely against what your shop told me when I ordered my 4303 pump from you guys for my turbo setup........

You guys said this pump could cruise all day long on the freeway (which has nothing to do with 750hp or 1500hp) with this pump and never have problems with overheating the pump or fuel..

Now your suggesting a downgrade to this guy because the pump cant handle street useage??

That doesnt add up to having melted wires/relays and overheating problems on the pump itself......
Old 09-26-2007, 08:10 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSInnovations
Nate , That goes completely against what your shop told me when I ordered my 4303 pump from you guys for my turbo setup........

You guys said this pump could cruise all day long on the freeway (which has nothing to do with 750hp or 1500hp) with this pump and never have problems with overheating the pump or fuel..

Now your suggesting a downgrade to this guy because the pump cant handle street useage??

That doesnt add up to having melted wires/relays and overheating problems on the pump itself......

FWIW, Magnafuel tech support thinks my pump is fucked up, so its getting sent back. I was also told this thing should be able to cruise all day, in fact I know people who drive the **** out of theirs with no problems so hopefully Magnafuel can fix mine to be reliable.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

You ever get this fixed? Im thinking the bigger the better but maybe I should go with the MP-4301 instead of the MP-4303
Old 12-03-2007, 03:14 AM
9 Second Club

Do not run your 4303's with a one relay. I melted mine and told nate about this.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LSInnovations

That is not what I am saying at all but it is alot of pump for the power he is making. No need to move that much fuel around if you are not going to need or use it. That pump requires a bigger fuel line and dual relays to keep from over heating it. Setup correctly it can cruse all day on the street.

Nate

Quick Reply: Magnafuel pump blowing/melting fuses, fuel tank, lines, pump getting hot.