Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Shortening a 10 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Shortening a 10 bolt?

I'm looking at getting my rear end narrowed. It is a stock 10 bolt and I need to shorten it 4-5" on each side. Couple of questions:

1. Is this possible?
2. If so, where can I get the axels?
3. Not being concerned with wheel clearance, will narrowing that much have an affect on the LCA bracket, if so, what can be done?

I'm looking at a very deep dish wheel setup so that is the reasoning behind it. Also, if we can, lets keep this on topic, not saying whether I need to switch to a 12 bolt/9" or not. I'm fine w/the 10 bolt for now, it cut a 1.44 60' without flinching 100% so I'm not worried about it.

Thanks for any input!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1)Anything is possible, weather its worth it is up to you.
2)Moser or Strange should be able to supply any length you need.
3)Your wheels couldnt move in much, I know my car is a stock 10 bolt and has 315s on the rear and I have about 2" of clearence between the tire and LCA. If you narrow the rear your LCA brackets need to stay in the same place or you will need to move the mounts on your chassis. LCAs need to be straight.

You knew it was coming and I gotta say it...why pay that much for shorter axles, narrow the housing, move the brackets and still not be able to launch the car like it should be launched.My .02.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
1)Anything is possible, weather its worth it is up to you.
2)Moser or Strange should be able to supply any length you need.
3)Your wheels couldnt move in much, I know my car is a stock 10 bolt and has 315s on the rear and I have about 2" of clearence between the tire and LCA. If you narrow the rear your LCA brackets need to stay in the same place or you will need to move the mounts on your chassis. LCAs need to be straight.

You knew it was coming and I gotta say it...why pay that much for shorter axles, narrow the housing, move the brackets and still not be able to launch the car like it should be launched.My .02.
Thanks for the info, can Moser/Strange provide the right c-clip axels?

The car launches just fine, 1.44 60' on a 10 bolt seems pretty good to me...unless I'm mistaken?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

springs and shocks(how they point to their rear end attachment/location points will also change drastically.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
The car launches just fine, 1.44 60' on a 10 bolt seems pretty good to me...unless I'm mistaken?
That is a damn good 60ft for a 3.23 10 bolt, probably the best ive seen. It would be interesting to see what you could do with a 9 inch with 3.73s or 4.10s.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
That is a damn good 60ft for a 3.23 10 bolt, probably the best ive seen. It would be interesting to see what you could do with a 9 inch with 3.73s or 4.10s.
Thanks, I'm pretty proud of it. That was my VERY first time to launch the car w/out it breaking (Driveshaft turned into a twizzler before), the next 60' was a 1.47 and I knew I stalled it it a lil high, then I put it up after that run. With some more steat time I'm hoping for lower 1.4X's.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck with rear but i wouldn't waste the time or money on the weak 10 bolt because you will have over half of the cost of a 12 bolt or better when you get through.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

I'm looking at a very deep dish wheel setup so that is the reasoning behind it. Also, if we can, lets keep this on topic, not saying whether I need to switch to a 12 bolt/9" or not. I'm fine w/the 10 bolt for now, it cut a 1.44 60' without flinching 100% so I'm not worried about it.

Thanks for any input!
Originally Posted by slow95z
good luck with rear but i wouldn't waste the time or money on the weak 10 bolt because you will have over half of the cost of a 12 bolt or better when you get through.

Not to be a dick, but can we keep this on topic...

I don't expect to get it narrowed for free..
Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

letys say you do get it narrowed and the right axles and gears and everything you want done..and lets say money was no option..and everything went in your favor...you would still have the same crap *** 7.5" ring gear that is going to fall on its face..and the ONLY reason its held this long is cause the car is a Automatic. Period.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Banned

I'm looking at getting my rear end narrowed. It is a stock 10 bolt and I need to shorten it 4-5" on each side. Couple of questions:

1. Is this possible?
3. Not being concerned with wheel clearance, will narrowing that much have an affect on the LCA bracket, if so, what can be done?

Thanks for any input!
1. Sure it is possible, just make sure someone has the correct tools to shorten and reweld the flanges.
2. Moser or Strange can provide any axle you want. Even C clip axles but cutting 1.44 60's why would you want C clips. The wall at the dragstrip is very close when an axle breaks and walks out of the tube.
3. Measure you stock rearend and so how much room there is between the stock flange and the LCA mount.

And like everyone else has said if you build the 10 bolt strong enough with all good parts you will still break ring & pinions.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Not to be a dick, but can we keep this on topic...

I don't expect to get it narrowed for free..
i can read what you said, i'm not an idiot. i was just giving you the best advice you could do and save $1500+ dollars on the 10 bolt and add maybe $800 to it and have a decent axle expecially if you ARE actually cutting 1.44's and not exploding the rear. it's only comon sense to me too invest money into something worthy of that much money, but maybe you don't care about saving money in the end and just like throwing money at pointless ideas.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
letys say you do get it narrowed and the right axles and gears and everything you want done..and lets say money was no option..and everything went in your favor...you would still have the same crap *** 7.5" ring gear that is going to fall on its face..and the ONLY reason its held this long is cause the car is a Automatic. Period.
I agree 100%. How do you mean that the ring gear will fall on its face?

Originally Posted by slow95z
i can read what you said, i'm not an idiot. i was just giving you the best advice you could do and save $1500+ dollars on the 10 bolt and add maybe $800 to it and have a decent axle expecially if you ARE actually cutting 1.44's and not exploding the rear. it's only comon sense to me too invest money into something worthy of that much money, but maybe you don't care about saving money in the end and just like throwing money at pointless ideas.
I really don't care if you believe what the car 60's or not, I know what it does, and I've backed it up, no reason to question it. I understand your point and it is duly noted, however you're not helping what I asked, if the thread was about what rear end to pick then fine, but I requested we stay out of that. With that being said, thank you for the points and I don't see a reason for you to respond anymore.

Originally Posted by ChiTownHustler
1. Sure it is possible, just make sure someone has the correct tools to shorten and reweld the flanges.
2. Moser or Strange can provide any axle you want. Even C clip axles but cutting 1.44 60's why would you want C clips. The wall at the dragstrip is very close when an axle breaks and walks out of the tube.
3. Measure you stock rearend and so how much room there is between the stock flange and the LCA mount.

And like everyone else has said if you build the 10 bolt strong enough with all good parts you will still break ring & pinions.
Thanks! I'll give Moser and Strange both calls to see what my options are.

Mods, before this thread gets too off topic, can it be locked and used for a reference incase anybody else is looking to do the same thing?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Is this possible?

Thanks for any input!
go 9"
Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

you already pmed me but ill post up for the others

mini tubbed
narrowed 9"
4 link setup
Attached Thumbnails Shortening a 10 bolt?-547313_3_full-1.jpg   Shortening a 10 bolt?-first-wash-rinse.jpg   Shortening a 10 bolt?-ta2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Shortening a 10 bolt?