Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Well I've got a 9" housing... now what!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I've got a 9" housing... now what!

LOL. I jumped into a deal on a Moser 9 inch housing with 35 spline gun-drilled star-flanged axles. Now I've got to get it in the car (02 WS6)! I've got a few questions though...

1. brakes - Is there a way to just adapt the stock brakes to the 9? I've got t-bolts and nuts, but that's it.

2. drive shaft - looks like the stock alum. drive shaft won't fly since most folks are showing 1.5-2.0" longer lengths being required due to the stubbier 3rd member/yoke measurements. I think I'm stuck getting a DS here... more money... I'm SO sleeping on the couch for the next month.

3. torque arm - I've read folks getting the stock TA to work on the 9, while others say it just won't work. I'm really hoping I can make it work for now, while I save up a bit more $$$ after dumping what feels like TONS of cash on the car this month. Spun a bearing last year and I'm still working on getting the motor back in the car, but the monster stage III is on its way - so very soon the trans and new motor will meet again!

4. ABS ??? I understood when I picked up this axle that I'd have to loose the ABS. What should I expect here? I'm expecting the BCM will be throwing a light @ me... can this be programmed out? Any other gotchas?

5. spool or locker - I'm eying up a spooled 3.90 3rd member at the moment, but the car is mostly street driven and I'm concerned that the spool will tear up the tires/suspension. Anyone out there running a spool on the street? Am I going to hate it, or is it tolerable?

Big thanks to anyone who can assist... and sorry for the long post!

Can't wait to get the clutch broke in so I can beat on the car again. It's been a long 12 months getting it back!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

1. yes stock brakes will bolt right up and T bolts and nuts is all there is to it

2. The stock DS will work but some people have vibration issues, I havnt.

3. It would be fine for basic driving but dont try and give it hell

4. With those axles I dont beleive itll work. And I think the lights can be turned off through HPTuners...

5. if its a street car, Id recommend the tru trac unless its going to see alot of DS abuse. other then that just get a spool, tolerable is completely up to you.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) The stock backing plates bolt on using the t-bolts.

2) Get the DS and enjoy the couch. You can watch TV all night.

3) I said my piece on stock TA w/ 9" in the other thread. It fits!

4) ABS will not work and the dash light will come on. I took the cluster apart and blocked the light with black tape, and I think I painted the bulb black lol.

5) I never owned a spool but I was not a happy camper driving in the city with the locker and M6.

BTW, those axles look great and have a lot of weight taken off them but they are not recommended for street use.

Good luck getting it all back together.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome! ROFL @ Shev w/the DS... we have 3 DS's in the house... kids might kick me out too if I go grubbin @ their DSs... LOL But I'll get the drive shaft too! HA

I'm only lookin @ 600HP TOPS for this year, maybe more if I get brave next season and pop on a second stage. So nothing too crazy, but if the stock TA can get me by for a bit that would ROCK.

-Eagle

PS - 35 spline not for street use? I can't see how the spline count would matter @ all for streetable or not...
Old 02-09-2009, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 35 splines, but from what I've read, the gundrilled ones might not be best for street use.

Also, I went with a locker because I heard mixed feelings on the TruTracs...some people had them last for awhile, while others broke at 400rwhp.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

I think its more to do with the heat treating process rather than the gun drilling. I'm calling Moser tomorrow for some more info... so we'll see what they have to say.

-Eagle
Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gun drilled axles are hollow and may break pretty easy on the streets, because turning corners and especially in parking lots. What I've been told. Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
Gun drilled axles are hollow and may break pretty easy on the streets, because turning corners and especially in parking lots. What I've been told. Hope this helps.
Yes, they are hollow... LOL

As to breaking easily on the street and/or "especially in parking lots" when I'm speaking with Moser today, I'll be sure to ask them why parking lots are so brutal on their 35 spline gun drilled axles.

-Eagle
Old 02-09-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Moser's official stance on the gun drilled axles is basically that you should avoid potholes and such since the axle is induction heat-treated from the outside in, then having its center drilled out, it loses some of it's ability to handle flex (as opposed to torsional forces which the gun drilling actually improves quite a bit).

No specific warnings regarding parking lots however. Just don't drive through mosterous potholes as it will stress the axles @ where the gun drilling stops.

Eagle
Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for making the call. Did they say anything about the star flanges?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

The said plenty of star flanges are on the street, had nothing to add past that.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The ABS light cannot be turned off through tuning. A piece of tape or painting the bulb black is the easiest method to not having it staring at you. Bob
Old 02-10-2009, 06:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Eagle02
Moser's official stance on the gun drilled axles is basically that you should avoid potholes and such since the axle is induction heat-treated from the outside in, then having its center drilled out, it loses some of it's ability to handle flex (as opposed to torsional forces which the gun drilling actually improves quite a bit).

No specific warnings regarding parking lots however. Just don't drive through mosterous potholes as it will stress the axles @ where the gun drilling stops.

Eagle
LOL, well let us know how that works out for you. I wouldn't drive gun drilled axles on the street if you paid me. They are originally built for track use only. Moser can tell you whatever they want but we all know how helpful their support is, LOL. All I get from that message is you technically can drive on them farther distances than just a 1/4 pass, but you better be extremely careful cause they won't warranty it if it breaks on the street. Yes, the gun drilling increases torsional strength cause it's harder to twist a hollow tube in half than a solid bar. Yet, another built in racing application feature since these are designed for high RPM clutch dumps on full slicks.

To each their own though. honestly you would have been perfectly fine with 31 spline undrilled & your HP goals.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

I will have a l35 spline ocker with 4.30 gears for sale as soon as I can get my car out of storage.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Today I called up TJ @ TJ's auto and ordered myself up a center section. Strange nodular case w/billet caps, Trak-lock, 3.89's and a daytona support for $1055 SHIPPED and then called up good old Moser and ordered a plain jane set of 31 spline axles with 12mm studs (factory size) to solve all my problems.

I'd definitely call up TJ if you're looking for a diff... this guy took 30min and talked to me on the phone about all my options 35 spline, 31 spline, lockers, spools, posis, told me about all the different cases that are available, etc... I priced the similar setup @ Moser and it was easily another $600! Hit me up if you want his contact info.

-Eagle