Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Noise.........

Old 08-24-2009, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear End Noise.........

Just bought a 98 Z28 and the rear end in it is making noise. (Knew it when i bought it but bought it right). It sounded like it was coming from the right rear so over the weekend i pulled the axles and replaced both outer axle bearings and seals. Put it all back together and still has the same noise. Im thinking now its the pinion bearing. My question is will i have to pull the rear end all back apart or can the bearing be changed just by taking the front nut off and then the yoke? The noise is a grininding noise that starts basicly from as soon as the car starts moving if that helps at all?

Thanks
Andy
Old 08-25-2009, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

No one?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem. As soon as the car is moving it begins to make a whirling noise that gets faster as the car moves faster. Almost like a "wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah" sound. Not a grind but just an annoying subtle whirl. Sounds like it's coming from the right of the rear of the car. It's really getting annoying and a solution would be nice. The car is a 98 Z28 as well.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Teching In

If it is the pinion bearing then you have to take the rear completely apart
Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie
If it is the pinion bearing then you have to take the rear completely apart
Thats true......
Old 08-27-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if you couldn't try just tightening the pinion nut first. I've heard that they can get loose overtime. I wouldnt put any money in it though...
Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Are you sure its not some sort of rubbing brake issue, rotor run out, sticky caliper, etc?
Can you put the rear on stands, and make the noise with turning the tires with your hand?
Just some other ideas to look at..

GL, i know chasing rear end noises suck, ive been doing it for over a year with 2 noises, one now finally resolved (rebuilt posi) and i can begin on the other (hopin its my brakes)

oh, and then its a clutch vib,,,
bubbly sail panel,,,
etc,,,

i love my car though!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dealing with the same issue on my '95 T/A. It had rearend work with previous owner and I suspect the shop didn't setup the ring/pinion right during the repair. You don't hear it much under acceleration but when you let off/ decelerate it whines. It is bad for the rear and annoying as hell!

-SS
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Whine on decel typically means a pinion bearing issue

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 08-29-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cc.camaro
I have a similar problem. As soon as the car is moving it begins to make a whirling noise that gets faster as the car moves faster. Almost like a "wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah" sound. Not a grind but just an annoying subtle whirl. Sounds like it's coming from the right of the rear of the car. It's really getting annoying and a solution would be nice. The car is a 98 Z28 as well.
that wah wah wah noise you are hearing is most likely your wheel bearing going bad
Old 08-27-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Typically whine on decel is caused by the pinion bearing
Come over here and help me then! https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ear-whine.html Appreciate it!

-SS
Old 08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Teching In

I had the same thing going on. A wah-wah-wah sound, distictly from the rear driver's side wheel. I too thought it was an axle bearing, but it was the front pinion bearing.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
Are you sure its not some sort of rubbing brake issue, rotor run out, sticky caliper, etc?
Can you put the rear on stands, and make the noise with turning the tires with your hand?
Just some other ideas to look at..

GL, i know chasing rear end noises suck, ive been doing it for over a year with 2 noises, one now finally resolved (rebuilt posi) and i can begin on the other (hopin its my brakes)

oh, and then its a clutch vib,,,
bubbly sail panel,,,
etc,,,

i love my car though!!!

I had the rear on stands and ran it with the brakes and all together, just the wheels off. I could still hear the noise. I took the calipers and rotors off and still had the noise. I figured then at that point it about had to be an outer axle bearing cause it sound like it was coming from the right rear. I changed those out, (Stupidly not changing the front pinion bearing too), and the noise is just like before.

Im thinking now from what everyone is saying its the front pinion bearing now.

Thanks for all the ideas and help.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Hey all, I replaced a pinion bearing in a Silverado. If the sound frequency is with the driveshaft it is probably a pinion bearing. If it is the frequency of the tires then it is a carrier bearing or axle bearing. Don't ovelook your U joints, this will also make noise and is a much easier fix.

To go after the pinion bearing, put it up on jack stands, take off the wheels and brakes. Take off the bell housing and pull out the C clips, then you can pull out the axle shafts. Take out the 4 bolts and pull out the differential. I put a ratcheting strap on mine and pulled against the bumper. Take care to remember where the shims are when you pull it out. Drop the driveshaft and remove the pinion nut. Now you can tap out the pinion shaft with the two bearings. You will need a shop press to get the bearings off and on, I bought one at Harbor Freight for like $200. I got new bearings kit from ringpiniion.com. Tap out the bearing races with a brass punch, don't resue them with new bearings. When you put the pinion back in you will need a heavy duty impact to tighten it and a inch pound torque wrench to check the preload. The differential went back in pretty easy, I just put the shims back in the same locations and got lucky on the backlash. Axles back in, fill it up with oil and test drive. There are some more detailed internet write ups on this. I did it myself without anyones help and got it right the first time. Took it apart one weekend and ordered parts. Then put it back together in one day. From what I read most people that screw it up do not tighten the pinion nut enough. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrodscrap
Dealing with the same issue on my '95 T/A. It had rearend work with previous owner and I suspect the shop didn't setup the ring/pinion right during the repair. You don't hear it much under acceleration but when you let off/ decelerate it whines. It is bad for the rear and annoying as hell!

-SS
My 10 bolt did the same thing when I would lift off of the accelerator. It turns out the posi unit had a crack all the way around where the axle slipped into the posi unit. The bearing was the only thing holding it on. I put in a Strange S60, and have had a 100% quiet rearend ever since. It wasnt worth it to redo the 10 bolt, just to have it break again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear End Noise.........