Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9inch clunks and bangs coming off the hwy

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9inch clunks and bangs coming off the hwy

I bought a stock z28 that has a 9inch in it already.
When I come off the hwy though after doing 70 for an hour or so and pull into a gas station it clunks and bangs when going slow in a parking lot.

It doesnt do it normally and will stop after drinkin around the city for a little bit. Also it squeeks and squeels like how brakes do when Im backing into a parking spot (it does this all the time though).

I have a locker in it and Ive hear some people say thats normal but it kinda scares me, I dont want it to lock up on me on the hwy or something crazy.

Does this sound normal to you guys?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya its normal when u have a locker.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you have a Detroit Locker? Welcome to the world of the locker. Thats the cost of having a bullet proof diff. You can quiet it a little by running 85w-140 gear oil. Do not run synthetic gear oil, or any additives... only petrolium based 85w-140.

I have a 35 spline locker in my 9" and run this http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...il/gear-oil/61

It has quieted down some.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

sweet thanks man....Ive been scared shitless it was gonna lock up on the hwy or something crazy lol
Old 02-20-2010, 06:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stang-Slayer
sweet thanks man....Ive been scared shitless it was gonna lock up on the hwy or something crazy lol
With the rear supported up in the air on jackstands, crawl under there and make sure the torque arm bracket isn't making contact with the floor's sheetmetal, as this could be the cause of some of the noise. If it is, take a prybar and shove it between the bracket and the floor and pry the floor in a little. It is easy to do, and can save the floor from eventually wearing a hole though it. Bob
Old 02-22-2010, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

well I know its definately not the torque arm....I appreciate it though.....Im positive its coming from the rear end.....I just hoping its normal.....kinda scary sounding when it does it

Originally Posted by EPP Automotive Performance
With the rear supported up in the air on jackstands, crawl under there and make sure the torque arm bracket isn't making contact with the floor's sheetmetal, as this could be the cause of some of the noise. If it is, take a prybar and shove it between the bracket and the floor and pry the floor in a little. It is easy to do, and can save the floor from eventually wearing a hole though it. Bob
Old 02-22-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stang-Slayer
well I know its definately not the torque arm....I appreciate it though.....Im positive its coming from the rear end.....I just hoping its normal.....kinda scary sounding when it does it
yeah it sounds like your rear is about to lock up on you... i've got a deal for you, ill trade you my 10 bolt for your nine inch, it has no clunking!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

wow LETS DO IT!!

Im suprised you would want a hunk of junk like mine for ur nice rear end!

Hehehe

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
yeah it sounds like your rear is about to lock up on you... i've got a deal for you, ill trade you my 10 bolt for your nine inch, it has no clunking!!!