Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rearend fluid

I did do a search and only came up with aftermarket rears.

I just replaced the outer right axle bearing and a new used axle.

What type of gear oil should I put in it?

Car is a 99 Z28, M6, Stock 10 bolt, 3:42's, its my DD.

Thank you!!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobil1 75W-90 and add a bottle of the GM Rear End Additive (GM 1052358)

Never look back....
Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

And I can get this at the local parts store? How many quarts? What is it all going to run me appx?

Thank you!!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can get everything from a local auto parts store except the GM Rear End additive. You have to get that from a GM dealer (or maybe order online, but I've always just popped into the dealer).

GM Additive - $10.40
Felpro Rear End gasket - $5.14
2 qts. Mobil1 75w-90 - $19.98
Brakleen (to clean off the cover) - $2.79

With tax... Less than $40

Of course that was with the prices that my local auto parts store charged and all, but you get the idea.

Good luck fellow LS1 owner!

- Adam
Old 04-19-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

okay, thanks! I already have the brake fluid, and new cover gasket.

Thanks again!

Anyone else have any suggestions on fluid?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Launching!

You can pick up the additive at autozone they have it. Just got some myself.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcalus
okay, thanks! I already have the brake fluid, and new cover gasket.

Thanks again!

Anyone else have any suggestions on fluid?
Brake fluid?

You mean, Gear oil?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
Brake fluid?

You mean, Gear oil?
haha! Sorry typo ... Brake cleaner haha
Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahhh... good deal. Well if you can pick up the additive from a parts store than go for it. Just make sure it's the real GM stuff... I have never seen it in a random chain auto parts store, so be weary... Make sure you get the right stuff for GM rear ends
Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Ahhh... good deal. Well if you can pick up the additive from a parts store than go for it. Just make sure it's the real GM stuff... I have never seen it in a random chain auto parts store, so be weary... Make sure you get the right stuff for GM rear ends
What if I have the SS auburn limited slip? I'm assuming this same or similar auburn rear limited slip gets put into other non-GM vehicles so not everyone is using GM additive.
Also, twice now I've seen people saying to buy gasket, but when I asked the other day, most everyone said just use RTV silicone and be done.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Yes autozone sells the additive and it states on the tube (GM 1052358)
Old 04-22-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Auburn=additive needed
Torsen=no addtive bc there are no clutches in it.

Putting additive in a Torsen is a waste of money and just plain silly. If you have a torsen, buy cheap **** 75/90 gear oil and you're golden.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

I'd put in a 75w-140 gear oil. The higher viscosity index means it'll deal with heat a much better, as in not suffer from hi temp viscosity breakdown.
I can't imagine why anybody would recommend "cheap **** gear oil". If you wouldn't do such a thing to your engine, why would you do it to your rear end gears and bearings that see higher loads than your engine ever will?
Old 04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

I use 75w90,

to answer your gasket question, put a bead of rtv on the outside of the rear end housing, lightly press on your $3 gasket, then put a bead of rtv on rear end cover, press it on the gasket and start tightening the bolts evenly. I've never had a leak doing it this way.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

I know you only need additive when there are clutches. My question was actually, doesn't someone else make an additive besides GM since this is not a GM unit, it's an auburn unit. I know GM additive will work but just asking. Sorry, not an expert on rearends. Thanks for the info on gasket. That's actually what I usually do on most gaskets, or none at all with just gasket, but I like the added insurance.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
I know you only need additive when there are clutches. My question was actually, doesn't someone else make an additive besides GM since this is not a GM unit, it's an auburn unit. I know GM additive will work but just asking. Sorry, not an expert on rearends. Thanks for the info on gasket. That's actually what I usually do on most gaskets, or none at all with just gasket, but I like the added insurance.
Yes Auburn makes its own additive. It comes when you purchase a new posi unit. I have seen bottles of it for sale on ebay, but other then that I dont know where you would get it.

To fleet manager, following normal services intervals, any gear oil you find on the shelf with be sufficient. Hence my recommendation of the cheap ****, thats what the rear end is designed to run.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

ford also has an additive. actually autozone has a generic additive but people still complain about noise when they use it.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
To fleet manager, following normal services intervals, any gear oil you find on the shelf with be sufficient. Hence my recommendation of the cheap ****, thats what the rear end is designed to run.
Using that logic, it makes perfect sense to run the absolute cheapest re-refined house brand motor oil you can buy as long as it has the API star and is the correct viscosity.
As the point contact loading on a single gear tooth can reach 1 million psi under the right circumstances, and cheap oils are MUCH more prone to shear breakdown than good ones are due to their increased additive contents, I'd use the good stuff here too. You've got a car that you spent thousands to buy, and in some cases have spent additional thousands on with upgrades. Many have $3 grand or so just in the rear end. Seems like cheaping out on the oil you put in that rear end is a really serious case of being penny wise and pound foolish. We're talking what, maybe a $50-$60 dollar difference to better protect your investment.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yes Auburn makes its own additive. It comes when you purchase a new posi unit. I have seen bottles of it for sale on ebay, but other then that I dont know where you would get it.

Thanks for input.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Using that logic, it makes perfect sense to run the absolute cheapest re-refined house brand motor oil you can buy as long as it has the API star and is the correct viscosity.
As the point contact loading on a single gear tooth can reach 1 million psi under the right circumstances, and cheap oils are MUCH more prone to shear breakdown than good ones are due to their increased additive contents, I'd use the good stuff here too. You've got a car that you spent thousands to buy, and in some cases have spent additional thousands on with upgrades. Many have $3 grand or so just in the rear end. Seems like cheaping out on the oil you put in that rear end is a really serious case of being penny wise and pound foolish. We're talking what, maybe a $50-$60 dollar difference to better protect your investment.
I have seen rear ends swapped to expensive syn oil and spit bearings out after a few hard launches within a week. I have also seen high mileage rear ends take abuse and only have cheap gear oil in them. Fool someone else with point contact loading jibberish.