Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Which Rear End to get for a 6 speed car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 s dime
what was so bad about it at first, i drive the car alot, but its not my daily driver and i like to enjoy it when i do drive it, but from what i have been reading i am going to have to sacrafice somewhere to get something that holds
Well I didn't have it alligned perfectly and it was very rough locking/unlocking when I would shift. Once I got it straightened out better it was much smoother. The only thing that might bother people is when you're making slow tight turns like in a parking lot, it can get rough sometimes locking/unlocking. With a little practice though you can cut down on that a lot. It's a small sacrifice imo to know that you have the strength there when you need it.
Originally Posted by corvet786c
You guys hijacked my thread???
We are discussing exactly what this thread is about, are we not? It's very important to choose the right diff. when you make your purchace. If you still feel we're hijacking though...... get over it.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
Well I didn't have it alligned perfectly and it was very rough locking/unlocking when I would shift. Once I got it straightened out better it was much smoother. The only thing that might bother people is when you're making slow tight turns like in a parking lot, it can get rough sometimes locking/unlocking. With a little practice though you can cut down on that a lot. It's a small sacrifice imo to know that you have the strength there when you need it.

We are discussing exactly what this thread is about, are we not? It's very important to choose the right diff. when you make your purchace. If you still feel we're hijacking though...... get over it.
NO You get over it?????
Old 05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

to the people who asked about my truetrac, on launches like the one in sig, it just tears the **** out of it.. it makes all kinds of noise around turns and stuff now.. if you are an a4 car i say go for it. its very nice on the street. hell even m6 on the street it was great. and at the track it wasnt my first time out that it broke but it wasnt even a year old and that not what i paid $2800 for.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

To whoever then, would a 12 bolt be ok for my setup then or a 9 inch. I dont go to the drag strip often but sometimes. Anyone with a 6 speed have a 12 bolt or ever broken one due to launching?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

if your hard enough on it i could see it breaking... but we were seriously helping you decide what to get so you dont regret it like i did
Old 05-24-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

The reason I'm not going to get a 12 bolt with and M6 is because of how the torque arm mounts to it. With all the stress from shifting the bolts like to back out and I think the stock style bolts that the 9inch uses is stronger
Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Midwest Chassis Fab 9 inch, I like the rear no doubt it was a nice rear end. If I could rewind time and redo things I would go with a Moser Fab 9inch or atleast another sponsor. The customer service was not up to par. You can leave message after message with no return. When youi finally get a phone call back, and talk to him you get little help and little assistance to fix the issue. Then you go back right to leqaving messages. Just poor on one end when you spend close to 4k. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

To whoever then, would a 12 bolt be ok for my setup then or a 9 inch. I dont go to the drag strip often but sometimes. Anyone with a 6 speed have a 12 bolt or ever broken one due to launching?
Bob at EPP sopmewhere on his website said somethign to this effect that due to where the totwue arm is place ont eh 12 bolt the housing will tweak from a lot of track use or hard launches. I will see if I can find it.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RsSean
Bob at EPP sopmewhere on his website said somethign to this effect that due to where the totwue arm is place ont eh 12 bolt the housing will tweak from a lot of track use or hard launches. I will see if I can find it.
Thanks Man. Just looking for details on diffrent rears for the car, cause once I do this that is it. $3000.00 is alot of money for me!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

to the people who asked about my truetrac, on launches like the one in sig, it just tears the **** out of it.. it makes all kinds of noise around turns and stuff now.. if you are an a4 car i say go for it. its very nice on the street. hell even m6 on the street it was great. and at the track it wasnt my first time out that it broke but it wasnt even a year old and that not what i paid $2800 for.
Yeah I've heard a lot of 6-speed guys have had problems with the truetrac when they start trying hard launches. That's why I decided to go with a locker, it's pretty rare to hear about one of those breaking. You may also want to look into a wavetrac, it's supposed to be pretty damn strong. But you have to have 35 spline axles and it was pretty expensive last I checked.

I bought a Midwest Chassis Fab 9 inch, I like the rear no doubt it was a nice rear end. If I could rewind time and redo things I would go with a Moser Fab 9inch or atleast another sponsor. The customer service was not up to par. You can leave message after message with no return. When youi finally get a phone call back, and talk to him you get little help and little assistance to fix the issue. Then you go back right to leqaving messages. Just poor on one end when you spend close to 4k. Just my 2 cents.
That's odd, my experience was just the opposite. You must have dealt with him when the fab 9's first started blowing up like crazy, I know he was super swamped for quite a while. btw I remember reading Bobs thread about the 12 bolts too, that's one of the reasons I went with a 9"
You might be able to get away with a 12 bolt, but why? Unless you find a great deal on a 12 bolt, the 9" is your best bet. They are similar in price (new) and the 9" is stronger/better suited for a 6-speed car.

And to answer your question, yes. A lot of M6 cars have broken 12 bolts.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you kidding? The MWC rear is just as strong, if not stronger than any other 9". It's all about what you put in it. Also, where are you guys hearing that you should get a Moser 9" over an MWC? ...that's just retarded.
NNSANE im a newb so im jus hearing it off Tech. What components would you suggest in a MWC fab 9'? car will be dd, m6, want light as posssible and bulletproff b/c i wanna be able to dump the clutch at 5k+ all day everyday but i mostly just street race rarely see track. end result H/C/I + 75 shot hoping to be around 550hp what componets the best you can sum it up for me? thx and feel free to pm

are we talking about a locker or spool there.

Thx for this post this is the exact info/experience im looking for.

So you had no problems at all with your MWC fab 9", just hated customer service correct?

Thanks Man. Just looking for details on diffrent rears for the car, cause once I do this that is it. $3000.00 is alot of money for me!!!
ya that makes two of us
Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
NNSANE im a newb so im jus hearing it off Tech. What components would you suggest in a MWC fab 9'? car will be dd, m6, want light as posssible and bulletproff b/c i wanna be able to dump the clutch at 5k+ all day everyday but i mostly just street race rarely see track. end result H/C/I + 75 shot hoping to be around 550hp what componets the best you can sum it up for me? thx and feel free to pm
If you're looking for something bullet proof and light weight a spool is what you want. The downside to that is accellerated tire wear and slight popping on tight turns. Or you could go with a locker which is also very strong and it's easier on the tires because it unlocks the diff when you turn, but again you will have slight popping when it locks/unlocks. Either way, you'll have to sacrifice something to get what you're looking for. My advice would be to find someone near you that has a spool or locker and take a ride with them to see if it's something you can deal with or not.

btw I was talking about a locker in that other post.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
So you had no problems at all with your MWC fab 9", just hated customer service correct?
Well when you have a company set up your ring and pinon on a normal everyday street gear and it whines it *** off, at any speed I do have a problem with not only the 4,000 I spent but also with the customer relation with the company that i bought it from.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Thumbs up

https://www.brutespeed.com/rear_end_information.htm Here you go. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If you're looking for something bullet proof and light weight a spool is what you want. The downside to that is accellerated tire wear and slight popping on tight turns. Or you could go with a locker which is also very strong and it's easier on the tires because it unlocks the diff when you turn, but again you will have slight popping when it locks/unlocks. Either way, you'll have to sacrifice something to get what you're looking for. My advice would be to find someone near you that has a spool or locker and take a ride with them to see if it's something you can deal with or not.

btw I was talking about a locker in that other post.
I've had several customers have problems with lockers and their six speed manual transmissions. If you rotate a driveshaft back and forth that is ahead of a locker, it will appear that there is way to much gear backlash. This is because of the locker and is normal. This extra play can cause a manual transmission to have problems shifting at part throttle driving. Wide open throttle shifts are not a problem. This problem doesn't appear to everyone who has a locker and a manual, but out of all the lockers I have sold, it has presented itself several times. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-25-2010, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I've had several customers have problems with lockers and their six speed manual transmissions. If you rotate a driveshaft back and forth that is ahead of a locker, it will appear that there is way to much gear backlash. This is because of the locker and is normal. This extra play can cause a manual transmission to have problems shifting at part throttle driving. Wide open throttle shifts are not a problem. This problem doesn't appear to everyone who has a locker and a manual, but out of all the lockers I have sold, it has presented itself several times. Bob
Yes I've heard quite a few issues from 6 speed guys too. And that was exactly the case, it was notchy at part throttle but smooth at wot. Getting the rear end alligned properly helped a ton in my case. Thanks for the 12 bolt link too, I had forgotten where i read it
Old 05-25-2010, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well when you have a company set up your ring and pinon on a normal everyday street gear and it whines it *** off, at any speed I do have a problem with not only the 4,000 I spent but also with the customer relation with the company that i bought it from.
every manufacturer has had issues with gear noise, and will tell you "this is a performance rearend in a performance car... noise is to be expected". you could just as easily spent the same and usually more with Moser, and get the same or worse gear noise.

Neither Moser, Strange, nor myself manufacture gearsets, we just assemble center sections with a good quality gearset from another manufacturer such as Motive, Richmond, US Gear, etc.

while excessive gear noise is possible from incorrect setup, chances are that there is nothing wrong with the setup and the gear itself is simply designed for strength and lower cost of manufacturing so you end up with a gear that will make some noise. add all this up with a car that has a tuning fork(torque arm) bolted to it and in most cases much more solid mounted than stock, and the noise that the gear does make is transmitted into the passenger cabin much worse than any other car out there.

we have recently started to use a different manufacturer for gears that has focused on making a gearset for the 9 inch that is lighter and quieter than the average Richmond or Motive gear without sacrificing any strength. there is a limited quantity of these available and I just made a huge purchase of them to be sure to have the more common ratios available as the supplier has basically sold out of them for the next several months. we have already used several of these gears in the more recent builds with great results so far.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

back to subject now...

we do not recommend the locker due to its driveability issues, especially with a M6 car. a Locker is a good diff, but was not really designed for this application. some people like them, some hate them. I suggest to find someone that has one and ask for a ride or drive before you make the decision.

if you are in the need of 35 spline axles, the Wavetrac diff is really the way to go. it is costly up front, but with its lifetime warranty and design, it is the best thing on the market right now for a smooth diff unit that is durable. there is another 35 spline diff in the works right now that will be durable and a bit less costly, but is currently not on the market yet.

in most cases a good trac-lock posi with aggressive preloading will be plenty durable for most street/strip cars. we use a billet case unit with carbon clutches in opur builds and have had very good luck with them, but it is limited to 31 spline. 31 spline axles are usually good to the 1.3 60 foots and 9 sec. quarter miles. the trac-lock posi is also rebuildable!

in choosing rearends it kinda goes like this... auto trans car(without transbrake) a 12 bolt will be ok with any diff unit.
M6 or t-brake auto car that sees hard launches or any type of track use we generally point you in the direction of a 9 inch or S60. there are several diff units for the 9 inch and the Truetrac in the S60(35 spine) is plenty durable.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

I am still in the market for a diff for my 9". Might lean to the trac loc..
Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We apologize for there being an issue getting a hold of us. For the longest time Eric answered the phones, ordered all material, fabricated all the orders, and shipped them off to his customers.

He has now taken the needed changes to better help his customers, if there is something you need help with please PM me and let me know what I can do to help you out with your situation.

Last edited by MidwestChassis; 05-25-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Which Rear End to get for a 6 speed car?