Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Which Rear End to get for a 6 speed car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
If you're looking for something bullet proof and light weight a spool is what you want. The downside to that is accellerated tire wear and slight popping on tight turns. Or you could go with a locker which is also very strong and it's easier on the tires because it unlocks the diff when you turn, but again you will have slight popping when it locks/unlocks. Either way, you'll have to sacrifice something to get what you're looking for. My advice would be to find someone near you that has a spool or locker and take a ride with them to see if it's something you can deal with or not.

btw I was talking about a locker in that other post.
Well i dont want a spool b/c its a dd, but then i hear (like below) that lockers are not good for m6's. btw Thx for all the knowledge ur giving me though NSSANE

Originally Posted by RsSean
Well when you have a company set up your ring and pinon on a normal everyday street gear and it whines it *** off, at any speed I do have a problem with not only the 4,000 I spent but also with the customer relation with the company that i bought it from.
Thx for answering my post ReSean, im trying to build my car to the best and need all and everyones experience and opinions

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I've had several customers have problems with lockers and their six speed manual transmissions. If you rotate a driveshaft back and forth that is ahead of a locker, it will appear that there is way to much gear backlash. This is because of the locker and is normal. This extra play can cause a manual transmission to have problems shifting at part throttle driving. Wide open throttle shifts are not a problem. This problem doesn't appear to everyone who has a locker and a manual, but out of all the lockers I have sold, it has presented itself several times. Bob
So Bob when you say several on a scale of 1-100 who many m6 customers complain (percentage wise) jus guesssestimate for me plz and also thx for the good info
Old 05-26-2010, 05:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with a billet Trac Loc from Yukon. They will hold up to a decent amount of power and are fully rebuildable. Mine drives like stock with no chatter at all. Midwest Chassis highly recommends them for street / strip use in a M6 car. MWC 9" is the only way to go for a rear in my opinion, it's the best deal for a rear setup and the lightest.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So you are saying to get a MW 9 inch cause it is lighter, I am a noob to all this tranny stuff? My car is a Daily driver and occasionly take it to the track what would you reccomend then? How bout gear ratio?
Old 05-26-2010, 03:50 PM
9 Second Club

It's a rear end not a transmission. I feel 4.11's in a 6 speed make a great daily driver, so much easier to drive around in town. I say MWC 9" because it comes with a chromoly torque arm if you do not already have one ($350+ from others) and a transmission relocation bracket ($200+ from others). Make sure you get a quiet street gear like Yukon and their billet trac loc and your car will drive much better than stock. You can also keep your traction control and abs. I feel its the best bolt in rear as it has brake line clips, parking brake brackets and it bolts in like stock.

They also look badass. I weighed my car before I removed the 10 bolt (3540lbs) and after the swap it still weighed 3540. Other rears will add weight except maybe a moser m9 $$$. Regardless of which rear end you are going to be spending quite a bit of cash, might as well get the lightest / strongest most complete package. Not to mention MWC has some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with, very helpful guys! Stay away from spools and lockers for a daily driver. Your car is similar to mine, I drive it all the time when it's not snowing, and I'm not one to compromise on driveability.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by corvet786c
So you are saying to get a MW 9 inch cause it is lighter, I am a noob to all this tranny stuff? My car is a Daily driver and occasionly take it to the track what would you reccomend then? How bout gear ratio?
reread thread from beggining

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
It's a rear end not a transmission. I feel 4.11's in a 6 speed make a great daily driver, so much easier to drive around in town. I say MWC 9" because it comes with a chromoly torque arm if you do not already have one ($350+ from others) and a transmission relocation bracket ($200+ from others). Make sure you get a quiet street gear like Yukon and their billet trac loc and your car will drive much better than stock. You can also keep your traction control and abs. I feel its the best bolt in rear as it has brake line clips, parking brake brackets and it bolts in like stock.

They also look badass. I weighed my car before I removed the 10 bolt (3540lbs) and after the swap it still weighed 3540. Other rears will add weight except maybe a moser m9 $$$. Regardless of which rear end you are going to be spending quite a bit of cash, might as well get the lightest / strongest most complete package. Not to mention MWC has some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with, very helpful guys! Stay away from spools and lockers for a daily driver. Your car is similar to mine, I drive it all the time when it's not snowing, and I'm not one to compromise on driveability.
^ exactly what he said but why do you prefer 4,11's for a DD Nitroused when they destroy ur gas mileage on the highway? I want good gasa mileage and wanna good top end speed so im thinking 3.73 gearing in my diff. Also Nitroused have you done many 5k+ launches/dumps in ur billet trac loc from Yukon and are you an m6 or auto? Thx for the great knowledegable post btw
Old 05-26-2010, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
reread thread from beggining
All your questions have been answered and there's a ton of great advice here.

btw 4.11's aren't really all that bad for gas mileage on a 6 speed, Just use 6th gear more
Old 05-26-2010, 08:44 PM
9 Second Club

I just put my rear end in last weekend. I feel our 1st gear ratio with a 3.42 goes way too fast 55 mph+. It takes way less effort to drive around town, I just feel these gear ratios are better suited for a m6. I think I will actually see better gas mileage in town or atleast the same. As far as highway driving 6th @ 70 mph is what 1800 rpm ?? That's still way lower than an A4 cruises. It used to be 1500 rpm and really our cars do not have a ton of torque to cruise at that low of rpm in 6th, especially with a cam where surging can occur. . Now cruising at 70 will take less throttle. I just installed my rear end and our track opens june 4th. I will keep you updated how the trac loc holds up with 6000 rpm clutch dumps. My rear end holding up is the least of my concerns.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

All your questions have been answered and there's a ton of great advice here.

btw 4.11's aren't really all that bad for gas mileage on a 6 speed, Just use 6th gear more
Ya but i dont really wanna sacrifice any top speed or gas mileage being mines daily driven. NSSANE02 i cant find a stock 10 bolt with 3.42 gearing in it but i found one with 3.23. Now this gearing is going to make me slower right? by a lot or very little or would you wait and jus put in a 3.42 gearing like all the m6's came with? Thx

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
I just put my rear end in last weekend. I feel our 1st gear ratio with a 3.42 goes way too fast 55 mph+. It takes way less effort to drive around town, I just feel these gear ratios are better suited for a m6. I think I will actually see better gas mileage in town or atleast the same. As far as highway driving 6th @ 70 mph is what 1800 rpm ?? That's still way lower than an A4 cruises. It used to be 1500 rpm and really our cars do not have a ton of torque to cruise at that low of rpm in 6th, especially with a cam where surging can occur. . Now cruising at 70 will take less throttle. I just installed my rear end and our track opens june 4th. I will keep you updated how the trac loc holds up with 6000 rpm clutch dumps. My rear end holding up is the least of my concerns.
Thx Nitroused for posting and plz keep me informedon how ur trac-loc holds up with 6k dumps.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

The difference in gas mileage between 3.73's and 4.11's is very small. I can still do well over 150 in 5th gear with my 4.11's, which is really way more than anyone needs. And yes the 3.23's will make it a little slower but if it's just temporary I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The difference in gas mileage between 3.73's and 4.11's is very small. I can still do well over 150 in 5th gear with my 4.11's, which is really way more than anyone needs. And yes the 3.23's will make it a little slower but if it's just temporary I wouldn't worry about it.
Well temporary cold be a yr or 2 so that worrys me. if you needed a rear quickly would you throw 3.23 rear on your car or wait a lil awhile longer till you find the 3.42 you want or pay 300something in shipping for a perfect 3.42 rear?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

I'd wait for 3.42's in that case.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i've found a stock rear housing and all except the backing plates with supposedly 2o,ooo miles on it never been dragged or ran (too) hard, i believe him from talking to him and seeing the pics of the diff opened up just he wants 350 + shippping and shipping would be around 300 im pretty sure. so you'd still wait?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's not too much talk about the S60 in here, and it might be because it's the heaviest of all the rear end options. I will say this about it though: It's probably going to be the strongest, and it's also going to be the cheapest to get into.

The S60 will come with a truetrac unless you pay (or subtract) for another posi/locker/spool option. The truetrac in the S60 isn't as problematic as the other truetracs on the market as it's a 35 spline. Unless things have changed, then you can count the number of folks who have torn theirs up at the track on one hand... and even then I don't think there's been a complete failure, only one that doesn't track strait any more. I want to say all the other negative feedback with truetracs in S60s come from general defects, not failures from exceeding the power threshold. For an M6 with gobs of power, a grippy 12 bolt killing-clutch, and sticky tires then the S60 would be hard to beat, unless you're trying to keep things light weight.

It's heavier, but the weight is in the right spot. It's common for a vehicle to trap a few MPHs faster with this rear end too, even though it robs more power than a 9" or 10 bolt. The price is also excellent! With a beastly driveshaft from Midwest Chassis it was cheaper than any other rear end built to withstand the same kind of abuse that the S60 can take without any extras. There's pretty much nothing you can do to strengthen it... unless you want to get a spool. No need for a performance dif cover, no need for a back brace. I did get a chromemoly yolk. I think with every option that I could put on it (4.10 gears, truetrac, aluminum cover [for looks ], chromomoly yolk, and PST driveshaft), sending in my backing plates/reluctor rings, and shipping it was significantly less than anything else I could find. I got it from Eric at MWChassis, who cut me a great deal, as well as talked over the pros/cons of his fab 9 vs the S60. I was really on the fence but the S60 just happend to fit my needs and budget a little better.

Hell, it's a 3/4 ton truck rear end, lol.

While it is heavier, it's going to be stronger (for the most part) and cheaper. Out of all these rear ends the S60 is also the only one to my knowledge that's still being used in OEM vehicles to date, like the SRT10 truck.

Last edited by KurtRardin; 05-26-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great Thanks Guys for all your help. I think now I see what everyone has and know with what I will be goin with!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Thumbs up

Great Thanks Guys for all your help. I think now I see what everyone has and know with what I will be goin with!!!
Check out the Moser M9 at this link.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...y-Complete.htm

http://www.powertvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=2901 Video

It too comes with it's own torque arm and cross member plus, when you place the order it is shipped out just two days later! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-06-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
There's not too much talk about the S60 in here, and it might be because it's the heaviest of all the rear end options. I will say this about it though: It's probably going to be the strongest, and it's also going to be the cheapest to get into.

The S60 will come with a truetrac unless you pay (or subtract) for another posi/locker/spool option. The truetrac in the S60 isn't as problematic as the other truetracs on the market as it's a 35 spline. Unless things have changed, then you can count the number of folks who have torn theirs up at the track on one hand... and even then I don't think there's been a complete failure, only one that doesn't track strait any more. I want to say all the other negative feedback with truetracs in S60s come from general defects, not failures from exceeding the power threshold. For an M6 with gobs of power, a grippy 12 bolt killing-clutch, and sticky tires then the S60 would be hard to beat, unless you're trying to keep things light weight.

It's heavier, but the weight is in the right spot. It's common for a vehicle to trap a few MPHs faster with this rear end too, even though it robs more power than a 9" or 10 bolt. The price is also excellent! With a beastly driveshaft from Midwest Chassis it was cheaper than any other rear end built to withstand the same kind of abuse that the S60 can take without any extras. There's pretty much nothing you can do to strengthen it... unless you want to get a spool. No need for a performance dif cover, no need for a back brace. I did get a chromemoly yolk. I think with every option that I could put on it (4.10 gears, truetrac, aluminum cover [for looks ], chromomoly yolk, and PST driveshaft), sending in my backing plates/reluctor rings, and shipping it was significantly less than anything else I could find. I got it from Eric at MWChassis, who cut me a great deal, as well as talked over the pros/cons of his fab 9 vs the S60. I was really on the fence but the S60 just happend to fit my needs and budget a little better.

Hell, it's a 3/4 ton truck rear end, lol.

While it is heavier, it's going to be stronger (for the most part) and cheaper. Out of all these rear ends the S60 is also the only one to my knowledge that's still being used in OEM vehicles to date, like the SRT10 truck.
How much heavier is the dana s60 again vs moser 9", MWC fab 9", & Strange 12 bolt? Also what was your final price around after all was said and done? Thx...
Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM sent
Old 06-07-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

To whoever then, would a 12 bolt be ok for my setup then or a 9 inch. I dont go to the drag strip often but sometimes. Anyone with a 6 speed have a 12 bolt or ever broken one due to launching?
Just to answer your question. I have a Moser 12 bolt and a M6. I launch @ 5500+ at the track with no issues. I have an Eaton posi with 33 spline axles. However this rear is very loud, it has been loud since the install.

As far as the issue with the bolts coming loose. My bolts came loose once. I removed them, cleaned them real good and reinstalled them with red locktite. No issue since. This is a small problem, that can be fixed with safety wire if needed. I don't think they will but if they ever back out again I will safety wire them and be done with it.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:16 AM
9 Second Club

A buddy of mine had issues with the bolts backing off with his 12 bolt. What he did was install studs in place of the bolts. All issues solved and this was done several years ago.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We do suggest the S60 as the best option if one is not looking for one of our fabricated rear ends. We have had good luck offering the S60 even though we can get anyone into a Moser rear end as well.

If someone is thinking about any rear end please PM me. Not only are you getting long lasting advice on current items on the market you are talking to people still out there abusing the parts they sell and will be for a long time.

We have two current builds going on right now and will be trying new things on our shop cars.

Thanks for the kind words from everyone.

Quick Reply: Which Rear End to get for a 6 speed car?