Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Welding Tubes to Center Section Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Welding Tubes to Center Section Question

I have a Jeep that I am currently setting up a rearend for, I am going to weld the tubes to the center because one of the known weak points of this rearend is the weld that holds the tubes, it will sometimes break allowing the tubes to twist.

My question is that I have heard from various people different things as to when it comes to welding the tubes, some say to heat the center (since it being cast) then weld. However others say it will not matter and you can just weld it. I will be doing 4 stitch welds to help keep it from twisting the factory weld.

So I thought I would see what some of you guys opinions are?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

I have heard that going a different way about it is safe but the proper way to do it is to put the housing in a narrowing jig and weld. I do know someone that welded a 12 bolt truck up with the rear assembled. Axles, Ring and Pinion all installed. Clearences in every part of the rear were checked afterward and the rear has been running strong for a few years. This is not recommended so this info is for information purposes only. The only correct way to do it is with a narrowing jig.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

I welded the tubes on my 10 bolt with all assembled 20 k ago and no problems. just stagger the welds
Johnny
Old 05-31-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys, I am planning on only doing little bits at a time to limit heat and it will not be a full bead around the tube just 4 "stitch" type welds to help hold in place.

Any opinions on heat the cast section prior to welding or not?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

I did not pre-heat, as evert thing was still intac
Johnny
Old 06-02-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dont waste your time with the jig you really dont need it. As far as welding to cast iron you should always preheat because it has the potential to crack fairly easily and you should arc weld with a nickel rod. On the other hand i welded my 8.8 tubes with a mig welder just to see how it would work out and they look pretty good and are still holding. You should preheat though
Old 06-02-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

preheating anything cast is a good rule of thumb. Preheating the pumpkin wont hurt the welds or material. if your nervous about it cracking you can preheat it, weld it. and then retard the cooling by putting a fireproof blanket over it. or get a bag of speedy dry and cover the welds right after you finish so you dont shock the welds.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome thanks guys, I was thinking that it would be a good idea to heat it some to help prevent the cracking, we do not have a arc welder, only the mig at my house, my uncle has a arc, and also a tig, if you think that arc would be a lot better.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

like i said i have mig them with 0 problems but i have only run a thousand miles so its up to you. if you arc weld though you need nickel rods and those are not cheap
Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

I a'nt no welder, so take this as an off the culf, I used an arc with stanless because at the time I did not have a mig or tig,I think it would be best to use a mig with the correct wire and gas or tig than arc
again just my 0.02 Johnny