Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

MWC 9" or M9?

Old 06-12-2010, 05:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default MWC 9" or M9?

Well i will be ordering my new rear end by the end of next week and need some help deciding from people with EXPERIENCE with one of these rear ends. I cant decide which one i want but i know these are what im looking at.

Wavetrac with 35 splines
New control arms
coil overs
no abs/tcs
possibly aluminum center section
either bmr xtreme drag sway kit or some kind of other anti roll for the back end
adjustable panhard bar

anything else im missing that would make for a bullet proof drag rear end/suspension?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MWC has a majority of the options for the price of a Moser fab9 in basic form. Eric can make you a great package deal you should give him a call to see what your options are.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for starters you are going to pay about 400 bucks more for a M9 that has the same options as a midwest chassis rear.Another great thing about midwest is the customer service,u can call midwest at 8 pm sometimes and someone will answer.When i was installing my rear i had a quick question anbd simply called,eric answered and took care of my question no problems.Its the best customer service i have seen from a company in a long time.

Now the only down side to a midwest is the wait,for me it wasnt a downside but for some it can be.My rear was being built while there was still snow on the ground up here,so i didnt care how long it took.If you order a M9 you will probably get it shipped to your place in a week or so.Obviosly the M9's are still just sitting on the shelves waiting to ship out because everyone i know is buying from midwest chassis.
Oh and by the way Eric and his guys spend a lot of time setting up these rears,and its very obvious when you see one in person,the quality is incredible,and they spend too much time setting up gears,and they will leave marking compound on the gearset for the customer to see when it arrives.To me thats service that cant be bought anywhere else.Good luck with you decision.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Eric @ MWC FTW. You won't regret it, trust me.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Launching!

MWC, no doubt.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by redtail2426
Well for starters you are going to pay about 400 bucks more for a M9 that has the same options as a midwest chassis rear.Another great thing about midwest is the customer service,u can call midwest at 8 pm sometimes and someone will answer.When i was installing my rear i had a quick question anbd simply called,eric answered and took care of my question no problems.Its the best customer service i have seen from a company in a long time.

Now the only down side to a midwest is the wait,for me it wasnt a downside but for some it can be.My rear was being built while there was still snow on the ground up here,so i didnt care how long it took.If you order a M9 you will probably get it shipped to your place in a week or so.Obviosly the M9's are still just sitting on the shelves waiting to ship out because everyone i know is buying from midwest chassis.
Oh and by the way Eric and his guys spend a lot of time setting up these rears,and its very obvious when you see one in person,the quality is incredible,and they spend too much time setting up gears,and they will leave marking compound on the gearset for the customer to see when it arrives.To me thats service that cant be bought anywhere else.Good luck with you decision.
The Moser M9's are not "sitting on the shelves" at Moser, Moser builds each one per order. Moser has the manpower to have a rear ship out just two days after the order is placed. Keep in mind the F body is just one segment of the market Moser builds rears for. If you want to see just how many products Moser sells, go to Summit Racing's website and look up Moser under manufacturer. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
The Moser M9's are not "sitting on the shelves" at Moser, Moser builds each one per order. Moser has the manpower to have a rear ship out just two days after the order is placed. Keep in mind the F body is just one segment of the market Moser builds rears for. If you want to see just how many products Moser sells, go to Summit Racing's website and look up Moser under manufacturer. Bob

Moser also has about the worst quality control I have EVER seen.

Like sending me my first 12 bolt in 2003 that blew up within a week, howled like crazy since day 1. Was a hassle to have it sent back, which I paid shipping 1 way at the time. Get the new rear back and it howls also, but lasts about a year where it decides to the pinion bearing/seal. I take it to a friend of mine, John Bruzzo (super comp racer and 40 year's building rears)

He sets up the old gears with a solid pinion spacer, new seals, and bearings and it is virtually silent! WITH OLD, USED gears that once whined!!! It finally kicked the bucket via eaton posi after 4 years of abuse. I had bruzzo rebuiild it again, and I sold it, and built my own custom rear using strange parts.

Now, since you will probably say I have an isolated occurance, let me halt that now. I have worked with a couple performance shops locally doiing their fab work for some time now, and On 2 separate occaisons I have had to modify moser rears that were welded incorrectly in the panhard bar location, to the degree of 1/2" on one, and 3/8" on the other. How is that possible on a rear made in a jig?

Aside from that, While there I was chatting with them about moser they all said the amount of mosers that they get complaints about whining is staggering.

So I guess what Im trying to say is, I would chose MWC in this instance....

/rant off
Old 06-12-2010, 08:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Moser also has about the worst quality control I have EVER seen.

Like sending me my first 12 bolt in 2003 that blew up within a week, howled like crazy since day 1. Was a hassle to have it sent back, which I paid shipping 1 way at the time. Get the new rear back and it howls also, but lasts about a year where it decides to the pinion bearing/seal. I take it to a friend of mine, John Bruzzo (super comp racer and 40 year's building rears)

He sets up the old gears with a solid pinion spacer, new seals, and bearings and it is virtually silent! WITH OLD, USED gears that once whined!!! It finally kicked the bucket via eaton posi after 4 years of abuse. I had bruzzo rebuiild it again, and I sold it, and built my own custom rear using strange parts.

Now, since you will probably say I have an isolated occurance, let me halt that now. I have worked with a couple performance shops locally doiing their fab work for some time now, and On 2 separate occaisons I have had to modify moser rears that were welded incorrectly in the panhard bar location, to the degree of 1/2" on one, and 3/8" on the other. How is that possible on a rear made in a jig?

Aside from that, While there I was chatting with them about moser they all said the amount of mosers that they get complaints about whining is staggering.

So I guess what Im trying to say is, I would chose MWC in this instance....

/rant off
I have seen complaints on here regarding rears from other companies too regarding gear whine. Luckily for me since I have sold about 1.5 million in Moser rears, that I have had very few complaints or problems.
Here's a good article on the Moser M9 from GM High-Tech when they installed the second Moser M9 ever made for an f body. My Z28 got the first one. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...nds/index.html Bob

Old 06-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Launching!

both make good products, i prefer MWC eric is a great guy and the price is better. i love mine and he always helps me out with whatever i need.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Default Ride height change with the MWC 9 or M9?

Hello,
I am also considering the MWC 9 or M9 rear end. I received some feedback that the rear ride height increased after installing one of these rear ends. Is that typical. I run autocross, have Strano lowering springs and I do not want to increase my ride height. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Old 06-12-2010, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I have seen complaints on here regarding rears from other companies too regarding gear whine. Luckily for me since I have sold about 1.5 million in Moser rears, that I have had very few complaints or problems.
Here's a good article on the Moser M9 from GM High-Tech when they installed the second Moser M9 ever made for an f body. My Z28 got the first one. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...nds/index.html Bob
true, but likely alot less. Does not change my experiences at all........

Selling rears does not equate to moser's quality, just that you are a good salesman. Alot of times, customers call moser or even strange directly when there is a problem... Hell, I didnt call thunder when the first 12 bolt blew...

And I dont see how that article, or any for that matter applies in this instance, bob at epp/brutespeed... Pictures of my failed rear, or the ones made completely wrong however, would apply perfectly...
Old 06-12-2010, 10:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

My customer's know that if they have a problem, they call me. Bob

Old 06-13-2010, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont want this to turn into a bashing thred at all guys common. I know that Bob and Eric are both excelent as far as their customer service goes, that is not going to be debated in this thread. I have talked to both of them over the last two days and i know that both rears are going to hold up whatever i can throw at them. The factor is going to be the whole setup im looking to get. Im not just buying a rear end i want a rear wull front and rear suspension and coil overs and i have been talking to both about this and we will see where it goes. my car is not a DD so i dont care about who ships out first or anything like that, im just concerened about the whole setup being purchased and quality of it, which both are top notch products as we all know.

I wanna hear things like, o i put my m9 in and it raised the rear an inch or i put my mwc in and blah blah blah.

I WANNA HEAR HOW BOTH REAR ENDS CHANGED THE CARS not bashing between the two
Old 06-13-2010, 01:57 AM
10 Second Club

i wouldn't do an aluminum center unless you're gonna run a through bolt case. Especially since your car is a 6 speed and a street car.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
i wouldn't do an aluminum center unless you're gonna run a through bolt case. Especially since your car is a 6 speed and a street car.
I would like to know the reason behind this,this isnt the first time i have heard this but i have never gotten an answer as to why.Not trying to hijack,as i feel it would be useful info in your decision
Old 06-13-2010, 03:17 AM
10 Second Club

the aluminum case will FLEX, especially the caps. I guarantee you'll pick up gear noise, especially with a 6 speed in a heavy (over 2500lbs) car. If you want the weight savings pick up a strange or mark williams through bolt case, they're not cheap though,
Old 06-13-2010, 05:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Question

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
the aluminum case will FLEX, especially the caps. I guarantee you'll pick up gear noise, especially with a 6 speed in a heavy (over 2500lbs) car. If you want the weight savings pick up a strange or mark williams through bolt case, they're not cheap though,

Product Description
Moser Aluminum Cases are made of 356-T6 aluminum with 7075-T6 aluminum caps and billet steel adjusters, and they feature a super strong through-bolt design to give the case increased strength and decreased ring gear deflection common in most aluminum case designs. Available in 3.062, 3.250, and 3.812 bore sizes; all Moser Aluminum cases are drilled for the 3/8 stock pinion studs and 7/16 heavy-duty studs. The aluminum cases are also designed to be used with either a standard pilot bearing with snap ring retention, or a heavy duty, wider pinion bearing utilizing button head bolts for retention is available. Moser Performance Cases weigh only 16 lbs., 15 lbs. lighter than our Nodular Iron Cases, are CMM checked for machining accuracy, and are supplied with all Grade 8 hardware.

We never picked up any gear noise in my Moser M9, and it has an aluminum case. Bob

Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Well i have an alum. center in my MWC 9' in my Z28. Ride height or any of the other things you guys are talking about didn't change a bit on mine. Listen....i beat the **** outta this rear, several track passes in a 6SP. leaving at 7k. Still NO gear noise/whine. I have a street car.....driven to and from everywhere i go. No trailer here. Gear while drives me crazy; can't stand it. Moser has SEVERAL threads/topics of people complaining about gear whine. I have NO whine even after a good bit of track passes leaving at 7K.
Just my .02 AND personal experience. MWC FTW!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
Well i have an alum. center in my MWC 9' in my Z28. Ride height or any of the other things you guys are talking about didn't change a bit on mine. Listen....i beat the **** outta this rear, several track passes in a 6SP. leaving at 7k. Still NO gear noise/whine. I have a street car.....driven to and from everywhere i go. No trailer here. Gear while drives me crazy; can't stand it. Moser has SEVERAL threads/topics of people complaining about gear whine. I have NO whine even after a good bit of track passes leaving at 7K.
Just my .02 AND personal experience. MWC FTW!
You mean like this thread? https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...s-12-bolt.html Gear noise can happen with anyone's rear. When you build enough rears, there are going to be some that end up being loud and have to get corrected. Bob

Old 06-13-2010, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
I dont want this to turn into a bashing thred at all guys common. I know that Bob and Eric are both excelent as far as their customer service goes, that is not going to be debated in this thread. I have talked to both of them over the last two days and i know that both rears are going to hold up whatever i can throw at them. The factor is going to be the whole setup im looking to get. Im not just buying a rear end i want a rear wull front and rear suspension and coil overs and i have been talking to both about this and we will see where it goes. my car is not a DD so i dont care about who ships out first or anything like that, im just concerened about the whole setup being purchased and quality of it, which both are top notch products as we all know.

I wanna hear things like, o i put my m9 in and it raised the rear an inch or i put my mwc in and blah blah blah.

I WANNA HEAR HOW BOTH REAR ENDS CHANGED THE CARS not bashing between the two

Not really meant to bash, but when you have certain people who just push push push moser even when they do have more issues than any other company by far, it gets a little tiring... He is right though, every company makes mistakes, but it's also how they take care of you when they do, and moser sucks at that imho....

I also just love moser's batch made, cut axles with cut not rolled splines... You want to know differences, it changed my car by becoming a 215 lb paper weight 3 times when it broke...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MWC 9" or M9?