Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just got my s60

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just got my s60

Ok the instructions clearly say use 85w140 non synthetic yet strange sent me 85w140 synthetic lucas gear oil....what gives...should i just use the synthetic or what?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id use the synthetic for sure. less friction
Old 07-28-2010, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would break it in useing a quality conventional oil and switch to syn after break in period.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh well i just went ahead and put the synthetic in. I don't think it would do any harm
Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Teching In

What torque arm and drive shaft are you using? Do you already have the rear end installed? I am in the process of installing an S60 and have a few fitment issues to work out.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

im using a umi chassis mounted adj torque arm. I haven't even gotten my 10 bolt out yet to put the s60 in. I'm still in the process of doing my abs delete.

check out this pdf for torque arm fitment issues. http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/Stra...g-warranty.pdf

Also I'm running a strange chromoly driveshaft i picked up new for about 300...the stock driveshaft will have to be shortened 1.625 inches i believe if you wanna reuse it
Old 07-29-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
Ok the instructions clearly say use 85w140 non synthetic yet strange sent me 85w140 synthetic lucas gear oil....what gives...should i just use the synthetic or what?
The problem with using a synthetic oil on a new set of gears is it literally is just to slick and you might have a problem with the gears breaking in properly.

I would call Strange and double check just to be safe.......
Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Teching In

im using a umi chassis mounted adj torque arm. I haven't even gotten my 10 bolt out yet to put the s60 in. I'm still in the process of doing my abs delete.

check out this pdf for torque arm fitment issues. http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/Stra...g-warranty.pdf

Also I'm running a strange chromoly driveshaft i picked up new for about 300...the stock driveshaft will have to be shortened 1.625 inches i believe if you wanna reuse it

I've got my S60 in the car and like I said just have a few issues to work out.
The torque arm that I bought was advertised to fit the S60 - it was pre cut like the pictures show on the link you provided. I was able to do some clearancing and resolved the first round of issues. Once I got the torque arm mounted, I discovered that the pinion yolk contacts the upper jam nut on the
torque arm. I received a second bracket today and am keeping my fingers crossed that will take care of the yolk clearance issue.

Torque arm aside. The install is pretty straight forward. I ended up having to getting another passenger side brake hose and bracket to mount on the drivers side. The brake line mounting holes on the control arm brackets were both drilled in the same position, where as originally the drivers side was slightly offset toward the right. If this poses an issue with your install. If you ask for a passenger side brake hose at the dealership it comes with the bracket attached. I think it was about $30. I can get you the part # if you need it.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
The problem with using a synthetic oil on a new set of gears is it literally is just to slick and you might have a problem with the gears breaking in properly.

I would call Strange and double check just to be safe.......
I called strange and they said lucas is the only synthetic they recommend. That I should go ahead and use the oil they sent me. They said other brands synthetic is thinner and doesn't help protect against shock of the gears and stuff and that if I want to use synthetic lucas should be the only oil I use.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I called strange and they said lucas is the only synthetic they recommend. That I should go ahead and use the oil they sent me. They said other brands synthetic is thinner and doesn't help protect against shock of the gears and stuff and that if I want to use synthetic lucas should be the only oil I use.
Good to know

Quick Reply: Just got my s60