Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Building a junkyard 9" compared to 8.8

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
I never even thought to just take measurements and use an angle finder.This is sounding easier and easier. You had said the torque arm was off by an inch,I know its not going to cause any problems if someone were using a stock mounting set up with a bushing,but could see it causing a problem for someone that has a crossmember mount,especialy one that was previously installed.This part I would jig.This is way cool. Thanks for the info and pics as you went along.
I pretty much had to move the TA an inch forward and to the drivers side to clear the center section. The center I am using has the threw bolt design and all the extra ribbing that gets in the way of the bracket I used. If I would have used the stock style center then I would not have had to move it so much and my have been able to get it closer to the stock position.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Here are some pictures of it in the car and how the axels work.

The measurements on my axels where passenger side 30 9/16 to backing plate flange, drivers side was 28 1/8. That was all Quick Performance needed to make them, they already know what the brake backspacing is. When measureing make sure your tape is bottomed out on the pin that runs threw the carrier.

They forgot to send me the u bolts that hold the u joint into the yoke. Thats why its not bolted up yet. They are coming with my axels.

Last edited by 96lt4c4; 01-29-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I dont think that bottom bolt would clear my 1 1/4'' sway bar,I wonder what all the variations are between each of the different torque arm mounts that are produced.I see what you mean about the bracket/case clearance
Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put my spare hacked up 10 bolt on my little utility trailor and I will be taking it along with my 9" housing when I go to have it narrowed just for verrification purpouses.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job! I started the same project around the same time you did. I went through quick performance for everything. great deals
i was lost on what to do for the bearings but thanks to your thread im confident in finish er now. I just have to order my axles also then im golden!
I just felt like adding a backbrace onto mine...
figured i would post some pics also, hope ya dont mind...

didnt put sway bar on yet... the spohn sway bar mounts extended them down a little to help clear the housing

good luck!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it just me or are your spring pads spread out wider? Whole housing looks wider to me.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Looks good! I thought about the back brace but I dont think I will ever be able to hurt the housing I have. If I ever start making crazy power I might pull it out and weld one on. What did your housing come out of? Also are you using a stock cast center or is it nodular iron. I was tols the stock cast iron wont hold much power.

Last edited by 96lt4c4; 01-30-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
Is it just me or are your spring pads spread out wider? Whole housing looks wider to me.
His housing is different than mine. The center part is wider, which makes it look different.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Looks good! I thought about the back brace but I dont think I will ever be able to hurt the housing I have. If I ever start making crazy power I might pull it out and weld one on. What did your housing come out of? Also are you using a stock cast center or is it nodular iron. I was tols the stock cast iron wont hold much power.
i know guys around here with different drag cars using the stock center.....they are running low 6's high 5's in the 1/8th
Old 01-30-2011, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
its defiantly tough to tell in the pic but they measure out the same

Thanks man, I defiantly had to take it slow on welding that back brace on, it defiantly warped the housing about 1/16 of an inch... thats y i put the axle flanges on last so it will true it up to the carrier bearings.
It is the stock casting center... im taking a big chance for sure, but hopefully the daytona pinion support and bearing will do it some justice
Old 01-30-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by importkiller_SS
its defiantly tough to tell in the pic but they measure out the same

Thanks man, I defiantly had to take it slow on welding that back brace on, it defiantly warped the housing about 1/16 of an inch... thats y i put the axle flanges on last so it will true it up to the carrier bearings.
It is the stock casting center... im taking a big chance for sure, but hopefully the daytona pinion support and bearing will do it some justice
When I put my housing in the lathe and spun it up it had way more run out than 1/16 of an inch. By no means were these things straight from the factory. I dont think you hurt anything. These axels are running on ball bearings out on the ends so you have some room.

I am not trying to knock the stock cast center, I am just trying to see what they will handle. I still have mine and might set it up with another gear. I work with a guy that has a full blown drag car, thirdgen camaro, with a 9 in it. He said they blew the pinion out of a stock cast center. He said the driveshaft looked like a pretzel with the pinion hanging off the end of it. I guess the cast housing is kind on thin in the bottom of the pinion area and are prone to crack.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

When I put my housing in the lathe and spun it up it had way more run out than 1/16 of an inch. By no means were these things straight from the factory. I dont think you hurt anything. These axels are running on ball bearings out on the ends so you have some room.

I am not trying to knock the stock cast center, I am just trying to see what they will handle. I still have mine and might set it up with another gear. I work with a guy that has a full blown drag car, thirdgen camaro, with a 9 in it. He said they blew the pinion out of a stock cast center. He said the driveshaft looked like a pretzel with the pinion hanging off the end of it. I guess the cast housing is kind on thin in the bottom of the pinion area and are prone to crack.
they can handle 400 hp from what i have been told.......but i would definatly change pinion supports.....thats where they are the weakest.....but i could be wrong.....i have a stock case,but if i go to 35 spline axles i will have to change anyways
Old 02-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

I do like to build things and I will build mine, but man! I was just adding things up the way I want to build mine and its only like maybe $250-300 less then just buying it. kinda sucks. Not as cheap as i thought it would be.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blown402
I do like to build things and I will build mine, but man! I was just adding things up the way I want to build mine and its only like maybe $250-300 less then just buying it. kinda sucks. Not as cheap as i thought it would be.
Anybody can buy one and bolt it in, but not many can say they built thier own .

You are right not far off from just buying it all done.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

I got my axels today......and one of them is too short.... Man this crap always seems to happen to me. Anyway, I thought I was getting Quick Performance axels. Turns out I got Moser axels and one of them is about an inch too short. My measurements were right 30 9/16 passenger and 28 1/8 driver. The driver side was right and as already together. The passenger side is the one that is wrong it measures 29 1/2 instead of 30 9/16. I called QP and they said the order they sent to Moser shows 30 9/16 and 28 1/8 so they are going to have to work it out. I think I know what they did wrong

This is the landing that the bearing presses against and is where the axel should be measured from. If I measure the axel from here it comes out about an inch to short.

If you measure from the next landing down the axel measures what it should 30 9/16. So looks like Moser f'd up. Figures....

Got one side together

Old 02-02-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Called QP back today and they said that Moser is sending me the right axel. They also said that they admitted to the screw up with out a fight which normally does not happen. I asked how often this happens and they said 1 or 2 times a year......
Old 02-02-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They also messed up my order on my 7900fm's and sent those rediculous housing brackets.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you are getting it figured out.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Glad you are getting it figured out.
Thanks, I am not in any hurry. The weather is crappy so I cant drive it anyway. I should have it mid next week.

I am going to change the tranny fluid while I have it in air. I dont like the way it shifts with the Mobil 1 in there.

Its a shame I have spent all this money on these rear ends becasue I would really like to get some headers and a Y pipie on there this winter.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

where does the ring go that is next the the bearing in the pic?
just got my axles today!
ready to tear it up soon!

Quick Reply: Building a junkyard 9" compared to 8.8