Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

who has a locker? is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who has a locker? is this right?

well just got my new rear from moser the other week an put it in (9in rear) ordered it with 31 splin axles, 4.11 gears, an a Eaton locker..... well i just got to drive it for the frist time lastnight cuz of the snow...... The car does not feel the same now, when im going down the road in a stright line an gve it gas it wants to pull to the left or right real hard, an when i take off from a red light easy it feels likt the rear is wasnting to move around like its lose, i pulled it in the grage an everything was nice an tight? does it act like this because of the locker? or is something wrong
Old 01-23-2011, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The locker in my 12 bolt makes all kinds of noise, but it definitely doesn't cause a pull when going in a straight line.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Teching In

i have no idea what could be going on with it, i thought maybe somthing worked it self lose but everything was tight....
Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sick&twistedSS
well just got my new rear from moser the other week an put it in (9in rear) ordered it with 31 splin axles, 4.11 gears, an a Eaton locker..... well i just got to drive it for the frist time lastnight cuz of the snow...... The car does not feel the same now, when im going down the road in a stright line an gve it gas it wants to pull to the left or right real hard, an when i take off from a red light easy it feels likt the rear is wasnting to move around like its lose, i pulled it in the grage an everything was nice an tight? does it act like this because of the locker? or is something wrong
i think what your experiencing is normal for the lockers..its been talked about alot how the rears feel "loose" or "wiggle" upon acceleration
Old 01-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JaYZeig
i think what your experiencing is normal for the lockers..its been talked about alot how the rears feel "loose" or "wiggle" upon acceleration
some1 told me sense its really cold here right now to run a lighter oil in it, eaton even recomends so i might try that to see if it helps any
Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

never had that problem, ARE YOU auto or std?
I ran locker with standard as DD( 427 Mustang) for 6-7 years back in '60s , with no problems, again ran locker A4/ 10 BOLT 6 years in DD now running locker /9", still no problems, I would not be without a locker
just my .02' Johnny
Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Go with a True Trac Differential.... They say its much smoother & quieter & it wont cause the car to sway... or pull back & forth while under power. They say its much better for a dual purpose street / strip vehicle. Its very smooth & quite.

Always check your brake calipers to make sure they are not hanging up. some times brake calipers do not fully release if the are worn out. this will cause pulling also.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sick&twistedSS
Many years ago I had a guy bring his Camaro to me to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it. It had a nine inch in it with a locker. He asked me to drive the car, and it had the same symptoms you are describing. The first thing I did once I got back out of the car was to make sure the rear was correctly bolted into the car, which it was. We pulled the locker out and inspected it, there wasn't anything wrong with it. We ended up putting a spool in this guys Camaro and he was very happy with it after that. His driving was mostly rural and he found the spool to be so much better than the locker was. You'll find people on here who have a locker with these same symptoms, and they adapt and get use to it. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Locker here. Just on turns and coming out of them right? Straight line mine drives like stock. I'm pretty converted to it now and know how it acts.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Teching In

its fine in the turns an coming out, it just feels like it never locks up going down the road, when u hit the gas it pulls left or right an never in any oreder...
Old 01-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Teching In

the car is a 6spd to, i think i may just put it up for sale an buy a posi unit or something.. dont realy want a spool seeing how i drive it on the street a good bit an it only sees the track 1 or 2 times a month
Old 01-25-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you mite like a wavetrac,thats what I would get if it was a daily driver.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

I know you have checked all external parts for tightness, but my thoughts keep saying something loose.
just my .02'
Johnny
Old 01-25-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Perfectly normal. I daily drive a locker and faceplated trans. Its a real handful, especially this past month with all the snow in Illinois! On the gas, the diff causes the car to lurch a bit one way, off the gas, it lurches the other. Its pretty freaky till you get used to it. If you get good with the throttle, you can minimize the effects by easing into it. Giving it the gas around corners, it acts like a spool and the tires chatter bad. Nature of the beast. The worst is backing out of a parking space with the wheels cranked. It literally sounds as though someone is beating the drive shaft with a hammer or the gears are grinding up bolts. Scares everyone to death.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
Perfectly normal. I daily drive a locker and faceplated trans. Its a real handful, especially this past month with all the snow in Illinois! On the gas, the diff causes the car to lurch a bit one way, off the gas, it lurches the other. Its pretty freaky till you get used to it. If you get good with the throttle, you can minimize the effects by easing into it. Giving it the gas around corners, it acts like a spool and the tires chatter bad. Nature of the beast. The worst is backing out of a parking space with the wheels cranked. It literally sounds as though someone is beating the drive shaft with a hammer or the gears are grinding up bolts. Scares everyone to death.
^^^^ this appears to be the norn, I have read that with a standard lockers are a handfull, it has been 40-45 years sence I ran locker with a standard, last 6-7 years been runing locker in A4 10 Bolt, now running locker A4 9"
I only get a litte( very little) click in very- very tight turn other than this I do not know locker is in there, ....but I an't in snow

Johnny
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
The worst is backing out of a parking space with the wheels cranked. It literally sounds as though someone is beating the drive shaft with a hammer or the gears are grinding up bolts. Scares everyone to death.
The first time I took the wife for a ride with the locker in my car, she about messed up her seat when I backed out of the driveway. "WTF did you just break and how much is fixing it going to cost?"
Old 01-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
The first time I took the wife for a ride with the locker in my car, she about messed up her seat when I backed out of the driveway. "WTF did you just break and how much is fixing it going to cost?"

^^^^^ lol. well i guess ill just have to get use to it, like i said only got to drive it once since the snow been here
Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think it is just your locker. They come from the factory broken. You will get used to it. Like stated above it is not fun going through parking lots. I found if you lightly stay on the gas as you are cornering it does not clunk or feel like your rearend is falling apart as bad.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
LOL! You shoulda had some fun w/her on that! First time my tuner rode in the SS after the locker, he thought I'd forgot to put in the panhard bar!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is exactly what I ran into with my locker, I have a std. That locker was the biggest piece of sh-- mod that I have ever done to my car. Junk brand new detroit and just junk a ton of backlash in the unit. I swapped to a spool and have never looked back. Street driven regularly.