Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

need help: no idea where to begin with rears

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default need help: no idea where to begin with rears

I've never taken my car to the strip, but I want to this year. I was a bit overzealous and modded the car with full exhaust and a torquer 2 and now I'm paranoid that if I launch the car i'm going to blow my 10 bolt. I want to try and replace the rear but I have no idea where to begin. What I do know is I'd like to go with either a strange 12 bolt or dana s60, but other than that, I'm clueless.

I read the sticky on rears and I'm semi-familiar with terminology, but I still don't know how to choose my rear.
What's the proper spline? Will either of those rears bolt directly up to my car? What else do I need to buy other than the rear package?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check the used parts section for bolt in rear end.both of those rears can be ordered to bolt in .or go to the rear axle section and look at the different vendors websites for options and cost.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget about your ABS and traction control if you have it. Do you intend these to work after installing your rear? ABS and traction control equals 4 channel rear and ABS only equals 3 channel rear.

Take your time and ask questions before you buy. That is the process I am undertaking right now. I know I need a 3 channel since I want my ABS to continue working and I have made up my mind on a spool since it will be primarily a drag car and need to keep the cost down. I have 4.10's so I am going back with the same and the cam manufacturer recommends them for my specs. I have been told by one supplier that they cannot do an S60 with the 3 channel and the spool though. So I guess I am going with the 9". Everything I have read is the 12-bolt is the weakest of the 3.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received this from Carl at CRP:

"I Called my rep at Strange today to ask about the 3-channel with a spool, He said Yes it will work they do it on a regular basis."

So my statement in my previous post that "they cannot do an S60 with the 3 channel" was wrong.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by doomss
I've never taken my car to the strip, but I want to this year. I was a bit overzealous and modded the car with full exhaust and a torquer 2 and now I'm paranoid that if I launch the car i'm going to blow my 10 bolt. I want to try and replace the rear but I have no idea where to begin. What I do know is I'd like to go with either a strange 12 bolt or dana s60, but other than that, I'm clueless.

I read the sticky on rears and I'm semi-familiar with terminology, but I still don't know how to choose my rear.
What's the proper spline? Will either of those rears bolt directly up to my car? What else do I need to buy other than the rear package?
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...nformation.htm

The info that I have put together at the above link may help to answer some of your questions. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

we have done 3ch abs on every diff unit, including spools(MightyMouse ie) except for the traction lock clutch type posi. I am currently redesigning the 3ch setup to work with all the new diffs that are coming on the market as well and hopefully it will be available with the clutch posi. We also offer the 3ch abs system with the aluminum center section on the 9 inch rears.

to the OP:
"spline" is referring to the number of teeth on the axle where it engages the diff unit. more splines=bigger and stronger axle. just because someone has 500hp now doesn't mean you have to have 35 or 40 spline axles. 31 spline axles are in 9 second cars even. which axle you choose usually depends more on the type of diff unit you need for the purpose of the car.

the Strange S60 and 12 bolt rears are direct bolt-in units, and are some of the best rearends for the money. abs(3ch) and traction control(4ch) are options for either as well. the Strange 12 bolt for street use comes with 33 spline axles and Eaton type posi unit, the S60 will come with 35 spline axles and the Truetrac diff. 9 inch rearends are usually 31 or 35 spline.

give us a call and we can answer any tech question you have about rearends for the f-body cars. We are direct with Strange, Moser, and manufacture the ever popular MWC fabricated 9 inch rearend package, and have the best deal you will find on any of them.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm trying to take this all in, and I might have to call with some other questions. So far I am leaning towards the S60 35 spline Truetrac 4 , I think.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to Brutespeeds website ,Bob has a great write up on rear ends.