Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3000stall or 3.73s UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a hard decision for me between the 2 gears 3:42s or 73s....at one point in my oringinal post before the update you said "lol your going to spend your money on 3:42s...have fun" I took that as a... your an idiot comment....kinda like.... if your gonna get gears, get 73s...maybe that's not what you meant, but reading it gave me that impression.

Anyway's lemons you've been involved in this thread more than anyone..what stall would now match my gears ...what is the smallest/largest one for me at this point? I am curious to know......I will side with you 100% when it comes to choosing a stall.. This I do understand...seems like you know your stalls...I haven't read, in any way, a more detailed version of how stall performance works......than within my recent post dealing with you.....

As far as my 10bolt goes...if/when it brakes...12bolt time right then and their.....If it's gonna happen it's gonna happen...and gas...lol...gas sucks for everyone right now....honestly I could care less..money isn't that tight...tks
Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without knowing what was said before that, I'm not sure what I meant.

All depends on what you are looking for. Performance, fun, more for et, more for 50 rolls, more for street digs, track digs. Later do you plan on getting a cam, if so what size.. if you don't know what will you want the cam for, mid range top end low end low shift points high shift points etc etc..

Your gear selection has nothing to do with your converter choice. If someone wants to argue that the only thing they could argue is allowing you to go with a 3600 and it feel like a 3400, nothing you would notice BTW.

Imo I would always choose a 3600-4000 for pretty much any street car.3600 if spray will be used, 4000 if all motor. The difference between a 3400 and a 4000 around town Is about 100-15rpms.. why not give that small trade off that won't really ever be noticed for something that hits way harder and has better extensions? Would be completely dumb Imo.

Answer those questions but Im sure this would fit the bill..3600, make sure u get something with good shift extensions and around a 2.2 str, you dint want something like a 2.5 str cause you wont hook that for **** on the street and It will be less effecient on the big end.
I highly recommend ptc.. everyone else on this board will say yank or circle d. all three are awesome companies.. I listed them in order of how their converters perform and act from what I have experienced and researched.

**phone.. if u want to talk 1-1 on it shoot me a pm and when I get to the comp ill get back to u.. pita typing a lot on here, huge *** text message lol
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah...no cam in the distant future....I'll slow down a bit and just wait till I get the stall next year...I'll chat with you then...tks for all your input lemons....now if someone has this same decision stall or gears...they'll still be confused lol...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Torque convertor slippage/looseness/tightness is a function of resistance of the convertors' output side versus the convertors' input side/mechanism.
Gears provide a mechanical advantage of the engine/transmission over the inertia of the vehicle. Let's take a 3000 convertor with 3.23 gears,put 2.73 gears in the car and that 3000 convertor might 'feel' as loose as a 3500 convertor,put 3.73 gears in the car and that 3000 convertor might 'feel' as tight as a 2500 convertor.
When I put 4.56s' in where I had 3.23s' w/2800 convertor,that 2800 convertor felt as tight as the OEM 1800 convertor. The 'flash' of 2800 didn't change,but the perceived tightness/looseness changed.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah..gotta do it one year at a time though...
Bought the car last year...felt new of course.
cai,flowmaster,strut bar,ngk plugs/wires,3:73s,blistens,lcas...in one year..gonna feel newER all over again...
next year is def.stall/headers

funny...I read signatures and just plain ls1 talk for the first time last year, and didn't know what any of it was ..I asked what mods to start with...I didn't know what the hell people were refering to when giving a typical mod list/..now I do and love the ****...fking love this car....
Old 02-27-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
No, the gears would make that more enjoyable to you.. However, I care how much my fun is at wot, and wot only. A stall imo always makes a more car more enjoyable o me over gears because I care about performance. How my car "feels" doesnt matter to me. If I have gears and someone else has a converter, if I get pulled on I will NOT be having fun, even If it felt more fun. This Is why I said 342 and a small converter for you.
One cool thing about a converter is with a decent exhaust you can throw someone a 3-4k rpm rev at any given time, just like pushing the clutch in on a manual.
Guess it just depends on what you're looking for, and how you use the car.

I like the idea of gears, because for me, SOTP feel is more important that ET's. I get to the track a a few times a year if that, so building the car for best et doesn't really factor in for me. My thinking is along the same lines as the OP. I want to feel gains around town. If my car feels quicker and more responsive, than that's money well spent, regardless of et reduction or not.

Like a ported TB...yeah, no gains at the track, but better throttle response = worth the money in my book.

As far as WOT performance, that's fun at the track, or the occasional onramp blast, but my car is at WOT maybe 1 percent of the time, the other 99% matters to me also.

I have 2.73's, and it just feel very sluggish. First time I drove a LS1/A4/2.73 car I was DDing a 88 GTA L98 (TPI 350), which had 3.27's. No word of a lie, I was NOT impressed with that LS1, my GTA felt faster. Obviously it wasn't, but it FELT that way, and feeling is important to most drivers.

I was really surprised the first time I had my current car at the track, it never felt that fast to me, I was sure it was running in the 14's. First run ever was a 13.7 and I was shocked.

Now I'm probably going to do converter first, because I DO agree with you about the gains there, but also because I drive mostly highway when DDing it, so I don't want to lose any highway mpg with gears. However, I also feel that a set of 3.23's or 3.42's would really wake up my car in addition to the converter. If I already had 3.23's though, I wouldn't change them.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man you auto guys argue so much about stalls. You should have done it right the first time with three pedals under the dash.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

keep this in mind guys.. once you go to a loose converter, aka aftermarket, the gear selection will matter very very little. you won't feel that sotp feeling you do changing gears with a tight stock converter. just like it doesn't matter so much how much power or tq you make at say 3k rpm because your converter isn't letting that power get to the ground. just something to think about.
Yes stunt, if you want highway to stay the same a converter. It will not give you that part throttle response that gears give but the performance will be much greater with little to no trade off for you. And again, I enjoy a nice loose converter more than gears. I would DD a 4000 273 car before a stock stall 410 car any day of the week.

Ls1t56.. We are trying to find out if we would rather sacrifice the little to no difference around town to be able to pull you m6 guys by .3 in the sixty or .4. Try to come around a similarly modded a4 by the end of the track when they jump your *** that hard, not going to happen!

I had a manual ls1.. it just had bolt ons.. I bought t when was near 5$ a gallon and I was driving my ms4 4400 vig 410 car everywhere. I sold it a month later because it was slower than any a4 I ever owned, zero fun, pita to drive in town.. should I go on?
It is preference.. you like fighting for traction, bogging, missing gears, having an excuse why your car isn't as fast as it should be because you can't operate your man stick and pedal.. I like to cut 1.4 short times full weight with 370rwhp.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

whats' a 3rd pedal for,parking/emergency brake conversion ?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol. Looks like a struck a nerve. <3 A4 f-body owners.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Struck a nerve? I hate manuals, in any setup.. why would I care what a simple bolt on manual owner thinks.. have you ever even drove a stalled ls? Let alone launched one at the track.

Lmao, nice try I guess. We got to take it easy on you guys sometimes.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
have you ever even drove a stalled ls? Let alone launched one at the track.
Yeah I have been in a few actually. They are cool for like the first two seconds, then I generally yawn or something along those lines. Anyway I am not here to argue over what transmission to put in one of these cars, as I really don't care. I love my car as it is.

/done arguing
Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Teching In

IMHO, everyone should drive a full manual valve body auto V8 car before they die. I have nothing against manual transmissions (even own 1 or 2) but going from 1st to 2nd gear WOT with a manual valve body is euphoric.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1T56FTW
Man you auto guys argue so much about stalls. You should have done it right the first time with three pedals under the dash.
you post this...but say I'm not here to argue...rriiiighhhhtt.....thanks for your non-informative comment. first this...followed by a swollow of all your comment does is start ****....like were supposed to say...**** man...your right.. what was every a4 driver thinking...get outta here...
Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha, it was a joke. You guys take comments like that wayyy too seriously.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

I didn't take it seriously,I took it as a joke and replied as a joke,some posters take things too seriously.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
I didn't take it seriously,I took it as a joke and replied as a joke,some posters take things too seriously.
I was speaking to justin and lemons.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I take nothing serious on the internet, period. Nothing gets under my skin on the internet, period. If in my posts you thought I was a bit harsh, grow thicker skin. See ya!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

Default Stall

Originally Posted by justin hover
Only thing I wish I could've done lemons, was drive a car with a stall. Heres one question for you though. With my main driving done in the city wheres their so many lights and bumber to bumber action how would I enjoy a stall? Is their any sotp feeling accociated with this type of driving....how does a stall compare to gears in this situation? Their has to be certain perameters of where one can be better than another in different situations...I have this year to drive with the gears before I get a stall next year..I'm sure I'll find stalled car to drive by then...and if I don't....I know who I'll be asking..ALL OVER AGAIN tks for everything lemons I'll update when the tune, lcas,and shocks are in.
Justin, I recently had a 4000 stall put in my car. I do a lot of city driving. You will notice a difference in normal driving. It feels like the car doesn't want to move until you give it about 30% more throttle then with your stock stall. However, you will get used to it. Under 30 mph you will know you have a higher stall. Its loose and you do rev the engine a little higher. Above 40mph its just like driving a stock stalled car. It takes getting used to and its a little intimidating at first. The payoff is definitely worth it! When you slam the throttle, your car will explode! You'll feel like you are being shot out of a gun. Makre sure you have a good tune done or your trans and pcm will not like the stall.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Teakwo23
Justin, I recently had a 4000 stall put in my car. I do a lot of city driving. You will notice a difference in normal driving. It feels like the car doesn't want to move until you give it about 30% more throttle then with your stock stall. However, you will get used to it. Under 30 mph you will know you have a higher stall. Its loose and you do rev the engine a little higher. Above 40mph its just like driving a stock stalled car. It takes getting used to and its a little intimidating at first. The payoff is definitely worth it! When you slam the throttle, your car will explode! You'll feel like you are being shot out of a gun. Makre sure you have a good tune done or your trans and pcm will not like the stall.
yeah....that's the idea I had.....hense the gears first for me.
with 2:73s the throttle response was sluggish/alot of rev but not getting anywhere fast..the 3:73 setup is nice cause now alittle gas and I'm gone.
especially around town....better response/accel.

couldn't be any happier with the gears first..It will be fun all over again now with a stall, but I had to see what getting rid of these 2:73s was like=money well spent..tks

Quick Reply: 3000stall or 3.73s UPDATE