Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Painting rearend

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jim ravencraft
Hi.
One last thing to consider is temperature!! Make sure the shop or garage is above 50 degrees..........good luck.....the por 15 will make you a very happy camper.have a truly blessed week....captain jim
Thanks Jim! Im hoping that by the time my rear gets here it will be above 50* because I will need to do the painting outside as I have a small garage and my car will be in the way haha

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
For those spray painting I just did my 9" housing yesterday. I have a BMR black hammertone kmember and lca's and drop brackets. Rustoleum has a spray paint you can get right at wal mart also called black hammertone. It match's perfectly. Texture and all.
FYI my buddy painted his 9 inch with rustoleum and its been three years now and he says theres a few spots where its starting to flake off but other than that it looks great!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a question for those of you who painted their new rears with POR-15. It says on the back of the can "dont use kerosene based degreasers like aerosol engine degreasers because they leave a dry invisible film that may reject POR-15. Does this mean I cant use brake cleaner, Im not sure if its the same thing? I didnt bother getting their prep kit because i was just going to use brake cleaner. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump anyone? Do i need to get the marine clean and metal ready for the POR-15? Has anyone just cleaned some metal with degreaser and painted it? I dont feel like spending $40 bucks if i dont have to lol, buying the new S60 drained me pretty good. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PAULZ98SS
I painted my s60 2 weeks ago semi gloss black por15. I got the starter kit since it has metal ready and marine clean to prep it then also got an extra pint. brushed it on and looks great.
Ditto, did the same thing when I had my Moser 12 bolt. I used a combination of foam brushes and regular paint brush on it. My MWC 9" came powder coated...definately worth the money if you can do this.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake cleaner is not degreaser. You will be fine. They meant engine bright gunk and crap like that. I used puple power on mine and it leaves a residue so immediately after rinseing I washed again with dawn dish soap. Worked well.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Oldsmobility85;14633790]Brake cleaner is not degreaser.QUOTE]

Brake cleaner isn't a degreaser but it does leave a residue behind. I'd still wash it after that.

Quick Reply: Painting rearend