Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end clunks on downshifts and is the rear suppose to have play?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 11:13 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear end clunks on downshifts and is the rear suppose to have play?

Well, the 200-4R is finally in, but the billet servo is more than what I expected. My builder said that he doesnt recommend it for street use because its so violent at part throttle. Boy was he right, it hits really hard! Anyhow, when it shifts into 3rd and into overdrive, it hits extremely hard and makes the rear end clunk. It also does it when slowing down and it shifts down. I took the driveshaft off and I noticed that the pinion yolk moves back and forth a lot. In other words, it has a lot of play, is that normal? I changed the yolk to a 1350, but even before then, it always had that play. It has to be that...because if I turn it hard it enough, it makes that same clunking just not as bad because the tranny is a lot stronger than me. In my opinion, I think that it shouldnt have that play in it, but Im no expert, so I wouldnt know. Anyhow, let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no it shouldn't have any play in it. the play will cause it to destoy itself when you punch it from a stop or anytime it is left loose and you hit it.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:04 AM
9 Second Club NA

How does a rear end get play in it like that? It also makes noise when its on jack stands and I rotate the tires. Is that normal?
Old 02-22-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

what kind of noise when you rotate the tires?
Old 02-22-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

sounds like your pinnion isn't pressed in correctly or not tightened depending on how it is suppose to be.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:24 AM
9 Second Club NA

Originally Posted by My84Z
what kind of noise when you rotate the tires?
Im bad about putting noise into words! Its kind of between a clicking and clunking noise, not really either one. What would cause the play in the rear end and how would I fix it?

Originally Posted by My84Z
sounds like your pinnion isn't pressed in correctly or not tightened depending on how it is suppose to be.
How is that done because if its with the pinion yolk, I know that its not my fault because as I said before, it had that slack in it before I even swapped them out.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

to be honest I have no clue man that's just what it sounds like. I know my stock rear would make some mean noises when i would turn the pinion but that was because i blew my posi.... unless you cracked some teeth the only thing i can think of would be the pinion was installed wrong.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have clunk mostly because axle splines are loose against posi splines. Also the backlash is a little wide. I bet any f-body with more than 20k miles has some end play if you lift the rear end and turn one wheel.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club NA

I sure would like to know what the exact problem is so that I can fix it because I think that my tranny is going to wind up breaking my rear. Ive got the billet servo and when comboed with a shift kit, its really violent on part throttle shifts. The more gas you give it, the softer it is. Everytime that it shifts whether it be down or up, it clunks the rear end and Im guess its because of the play. If I can turn the pinion yolk with my hand, then I know for sure that the tranny can and with its hard shifts, it will make the rear clunk. When I turn the wheels while its on stands, it makes a clattering noise. Do you think that maybe something is worn or is about to give? What can I do? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:40 PM
9 Second Club NA

Also, Ive always heard noise from my rear when just cruising, but it seems like its getting worse. Its like a whining noise, but not really as high pitched as a whine. All I know is that it makes a bunch of noise. One thing is for sure, the stock 10 bolt is junk, but if I can spend a little money and replace a few parts so that it holds up for a while, I dont mind doing so. I need it to last for a little while so that I can save up for a 12 bolt. What can I do to get rid of the noise, the slack/play, and all the other problems it has? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Teching In

I have this exact same symptom. Just installed a shift kit and it got so bad last night that I thought it was gonna blow on me so I headed strait home.

Any body have any other suggestions on why the yoke is so loose? The play is not between gears because I can see the ring gear move when I move the yoke between the "clunks".

I'm going to tear out the diff tonight to see if there is something obvious.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

i had a similar question on another thread. i have had my ws6 to the dealer three times for rear end work, first they replaced the seal and it had play in it, about 1/4 inch(by twisting the drive shaft back and fourth). second time they put a new gear set in, same thing with the play. third time new axle bearing, again same thing with the play. i posted a thread asking about this and some play is supposed to be normal. i would think no play at all would be bad because when you drive the gears get hot and metal expands and is probably not as much play as it feels like when checking it. mine clicks/clunks a tiny bit over bumps or when trying to be overly gentle with clutch and accelorator. another thing is that there is play in thranny to, so it all adds up.
bottom line i think is its normal to have a little drive line slack, but not too much
Old 04-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Teching In

didn't see this post, i am having the same problem with my rear. i just put a 9 inch in with 4.11 and i have a lot of play in the drive shaft. You think that is becase the pinion was wasn't set like it was ment to be
Old 04-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Teching In

When I measured the play on the ring gear it was about .020 between clunks - this is not the backlash, but the distance the ring gear can move between pinion clunks. I wonder if this could be caused by worn axle splines??? Will find out tonight. BTW I also have a posi with 3.23 gears.

Quick Reply: Rear end clunks on downshifts and is the rear suppose to have play?