Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

You wanted it, Strange delivers. The new aluminum HD 9 inch case

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would you have an estimate of how lighter Ray?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bare Ultra case is 20Lbs. and the Pro HD is 15.5Lbs.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice piece.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About a year ago I heard that Strange had problems with their "Wavetrack style" diff. Is this still the case? My Aurbur posi in my 9" took a **** on my fist dragstrip pass with the new 403/F1A.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange never really had a "problem", there was never any sort of recall or anything. There was minor updates done to the internals to aid in long term wear on the second production run. To my knowledge there has never been any true failures of the unit since it's release, and it has proven to be a great differential.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

So what is the cost differential to add this to the bolt in rear?? My car is definitely street driven but no more than 1000 per year. I want a good dependable street/strip setup but would like to take advantage of any weight savings possible.....friggin heavy 4th gens, lol!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does this new hybrid include the forged yoke ? I only ask because its not listed on your site that way.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
So what is the cost differential to add this to the bolt in rear?? My car is definitely street driven but no more than 1000 per year. I want a good dependable street/strip setup but would like to take advantage of any weight savings possible.....friggin heavy 4th gens, lol!
The HD Pro case, exclusive pinion support with street oiling built in, pro gear race size bearings, and the billet yoke is only a 400.00 upgrade cost over the base package nodular iron case and Daytona style support.

Originally Posted by No Juice
Does this new hybrid include the forged yoke ? I only ask because its not listed on your site that way.
It includes a billet 1350 series yoke.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ordered this with the S-Trac, for the ultimate street rear end.

Can't wait to test it out, Thanks Eric !!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Bringing this back up. Has anyone pushed the HP limits of this thing yet?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Not really... just 7.40s at over 192mph in a 3400 pound car! Koolrays has one in his x275 car, and we have sold 100s of these to our street/strip customers as well. Its designed well, highest quality, and proven.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Bringing this back up. Has anyone pushed the HP limits of this thing yet?
1.16 60' in a 3400# car is quite a testimony for the unit. Two years of beating on it and no issues.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Not really... just 7.40s at over 192mph in a 3400 pound car! Koolrays has one in his x275 car, and we have sold 100s of these to our street/strip customers as well. Its designed well, highest quality, and proven.
Originally Posted by koolrayz
1.16 60' in a 3400# car is quite a testimony for the unit. Two years of beating on it and no issues.
Hell yeah! Sounds stout! MWC, you guys are going to build me one of these next year when I'm done with Korea!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:57 AM
Teching In

What makes the Strange unit significantly different than the Aluminum 3rd member from Moser?
Old 02-12-2014, 04:08 AM
Teching In

Wow, I guess threads die hard on this board, I signed up, posted to 3 threads (all have been posted to within a month or so) and it's dead air with an echo, jeez tough room .
Old 02-12-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

A phone call or PM to MWC would clear that question up quicker than waiting for a reply on a forum.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Um, ok. Like I said tough room.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not really tough room, MWC is just super busy and they have a lot of builds going on right now. I know this because I am in the waiting line. A pm or phone call would get a quicker response that's all.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Wasn't nessisarily looking for a response from the vendor, I assume someone other than me has a Moser aluminum 3rd member and maybe spots some notable improvement in the Strange or has an issue with a Moser, I only saw members compare it with a Yukon. My point was simply that I'm on a lot of automotive and motorcycle forums and I can't recall one that seems as unresponsive (this is not the only thread I posted to). On that note, when I joined the site I was sent an email suggesting I post an introduction, I didn't, but curious, I looked where it had suggested I do that and noticed that the vast majority of introduction posts go unanswered.

Searching for info on transmission swaps and axle swaps and generally off the beaten path mods in Google, LS1tech pops up a lot, on a lot of subjects, given that I simply assumed it was a more lively place.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We are busy for sure, but that's what you get when you manufacture the highest quality components with the best prices!

I am happy to answer any tech questions that come along with no BS... It's a simple matter of I have been there, done that. I have sold, handled, assembled, and raced all of them.

The Moser aluminum case is plenty fine and has proven itself, but the Strange HD Pro is in a different league.

Up until the release of this HD Pro case Strange only had two choices of aluminum cases for the 9" rearends. The first is the lightweight aluminum case which is a basic copy of the oem case with several engineering upgrades.

Second is the absolute baddest aluminum 9" case available... Ultra Case. It is specifically designed for high power drag racing type applications and is not meant for any type of street use. The Strange Ultra Case is found in most NHRA/IHRA/ADRL Pro Stock and Pro Modified cars as well as alot of the higher end Top Sportsman and X275/315 Drag Radial and Outlaw 10.5 cars.

This HD Pro case was first referred to as a "hybrid" case because of the mixture of design and similarities of both the lightweight aluminum case and the race-only Ultra Case. As the years have gone by there was a great need in the market for a lightweight 9" case that was not only streetable, but strong enough to handle the power that is much easier to come by now as technology advances. Strange developed the HD Pro case specifically for the higher powered street/strip cars to cover the gap in the need for such a item. The lightweight case is not quite strong enough(after a point) for the weight and power of a lot of today's cars, and the Ultra Case is overkill.

The one thing I have noticed about the Strange cases is the consistency of tolerances, quality of the aluminum material itself, and the heat-treat. On occasion there is minor grinding required on a 9" case to clear posi units, ring gear bolts, etc, and you can definitely tell the difference in the quality of the castings when doing this. Strange's heat-treat quality is second to none.

Concerning the differences between the Moser aluminum case and this HD Pro case from Strange...

The Moser case uses hardware store style G8 bolts to retain the caps. Strange uses proprietary aircraft grade studs specifically manufactured for this application(same as Ultra Case). Moser case is reinforced in the pinion support area and uses either a stock 5-bolt or 10 bolt race type(pro gears) pinion support. The cap design of the Strange case is stronger than the Moser design, though not exactly prone for breakage.

The Strange HD Pro case uses ARP 7/16 bolts to retain it's exclusive pinion support and can be used with both street and pro gears. The Moser case includes a standard stud set with nuts and lock washers, or can use regular bolts to retain the support.

The biggest difference is the pinion support and oiling system. As mentioned earlier the Strange HD Pro case was developed specifically for the higher powered street/strip cars and has an exclusive pinion support designed to be used with it. The package has a pinion bearing oiling system designed into the case and support to provide fresh oil to the pinion bearings as well as a return for the hot oil out of the front bearing. This feature is an exclusive to this case for a performance built 9" with the larger race style bearings used. The other large bearing supports on the market do not have this feature. Prior to this case package being available on the market we were doing case and support mods to allow for street use, but this is much better.

Strange HD Pro aluminum thru-bolt case package includes the pinion support with races installed, ARP bolts, pinion support sealing o-ring, pinion tail bearing and retainer plate. Retail cost for this package is 684.00. A similar package from Moser with their 5 hole pro aluminum support and other small parts will run about 700.00

MWC is a proud dealer of both Moser and Strange, and has the guaranteed lowest prices on all of it! Feel free to call us if you have questions we shoot it straight with knowledge and experience.

Last edited by ssvert99; 02-13-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: You wanted it, Strange delivers. The new aluminum HD 9 inch case