Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

You wanted it, Strange delivers. The new aluminum HD 9 inch case

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I purchased from Moser was the aluminum 3rd, steel 1350 yoke, 3.89 street gear and a 31 spline Wavetrac. I didn't specify any upgraded pinion support, I don't expect the rearend to ever be subjected to more than about 450 HP. I wasn't aware of any concerns of using an aluminum 3rd on a street vehicle. Is this a HP related concern or simply milage? I chose a 9" with an aluminum 3rd because in the end that package is supposed to be as strong or stronger than a 12 bolt while being lighter and I wanted to reduce the unsprung weight without comprimising durability.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio
What I purchased from Moser was the aluminum 3rd, steel 1350 yoke, 3.89 street gear and a 31 spline Wavetrac. I didn't specify any upgraded pinion support, I don't expect the rearend to ever be subjected to more than about 450 HP. I wasn't aware of any concerns of using an aluminum 3rd on a street vehicle. Is this a HP related concern or simply milage? I chose a 9" with an aluminum 3rd because in the end that package is supposed to be as strong or stronger than a 12 bolt while being lighter and I wanted to reduce the unsprung weight without comprimising durability.
Years ago I ran the moser aluminum and it would wear the gears till they really howled in a years time. They never broke but on the street the noise was unbearable
Old 02-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by koolrayz
Years ago I ran the moser aluminum and it would wear the gears till they really howled in a years time. They never broke but on the street the noise was unbearable
Well, I hope that isn't the case. Moser was well aware I intended to run this on the street, and I talked to several of their techs before I ordered it, none seemed concerned. But I guess that is one of the wonders of the 9", if it all goes wrong you get a new 3rd carrier, a new ring and pinion and it's pretty much a new rear end.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just added this bad boy to my MWC 9. Cant wait to see the finished product!!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the best aluminum case on the market for a Street/Strip car. It has a street design oiling system that no other aluminum case does. The materials, heat treat, and machining quality is second to none.

The exclusive pinion support for this case has extra material and strengthening ribs designed into it. One of the best features is the oversize pro gear pinion bearings!

This case along with the Strange S-Trac helical gear type posi unit(lifetime warranted) is the most popular combo we sell, second only to a spool.

Give us a call for the best parts, the best prices, and the best tech help you can get!
Old 08-21-2015, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

OK, now for a question about using it in an ENTIRELY different direction than everybody else on here;

What about for ROAD RACING, where the sessions are ALL more than 45 minutes each, and one could do 3 of those a day (possibly).

Do the old rules about ONLY using an iron case still hold for that scenario (like NASCAR as well), or is this thing so beefy that the heat flex/warping is NOT an issue??
Old 08-24-2015, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by dailydriver
OK, now for a question about using it in an ENTIRELY different direction than everybody else on here;

What about for ROAD RACING, where the sessions are ALL more than 45 minutes each, and one could do 3 of those a day (possibly).

Do the old rules about ONLY using an iron case still hold for that scenario (like NASCAR as well), or is this thing so beefy that the heat flex/warping is NOT an issue??
Road course extended use will be no issue with this case package, the oiling system is designed for it. The materials and heat treat process involved in the manufacturing makes this case and support every bit as good as most iron cases.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Road course extended use will be no issue with this case package, the oiling system is designed for it. The materials and heat treat process involved in the manufacturing makes this case and support every bit as good as most iron cases.
That's good to know.

Have you ever adapted a pump and cooler to this unit in one of your Fab 9 set ups (with your watts Link)??
Old 08-25-2015, 03:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by dailydriver
That's good to know.

Have you ever adapted a pump and cooler to this unit in one of your Fab 9 set ups (with your watts Link)??
I have done a pump before for a dedicated road course car before, but in a different center section. The caps and other areas of the HD Pro are beefier than other aluminum cases so if you are interested in a setup like that we would just have to give it a try.

Quick Reply: You wanted it, Strange delivers. The new aluminum HD 9 inch case