Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

S60 Finally In!!! Thanks go to CRP, Strano, UMI, MWC, WS6Store (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:39 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking S60 Finally In!!! Thanks go to CRP, Strano, UMI, MWC, WS6Store (Lots of pics)

Well on Friday I finally got my S60 buttoned up. It was about a 3-evening after work event lol. All in all the install wasnt bad. The only things that had to be modified were the e-brake cable brackets and the torque arm bracket that goes onto the hogs head. If you get LCA relocation brackets you will have to cut the cable brackets, do some bending, bolt it all together, then weld the two pieces back together. Thats how I did it anyways. I had to cut the usual "notch" out of the top of the torque are bracket so it would have clearence to utilize the outside set of bolt holes. I did not have to beat on the tunnel at all. The torque arm was kinda a PITA because I left the exhaust in place instead of taking it off, assembling the torque arm/relo crossmember in the floor hen putting it up there. Oh well, four letter words always help. Other than than it was pretty smooth.

I would like to thank Carl@CRP, Sam Strano, and Ramey@ UMI, all of whom I talked to on the phone and had great answers to my annoying questions. All 3 provide great customer service!

Parts List:
From CRP: S60, S-trac, 4.10, 1/2-20 studs, sway bar mounts, LCA relos, etc.
WS6 Store: UMI adj PHB, UMI adj LCAs, UMI full length adj TA, UMI TA relo crossmember, Powerslot rotors, Hawk pads,
Strano: Strano lowering springs
MWC: MWC SFCs

I am very pleased with the results. I have 150 miles on it so far and the thing acts just like the 10 bolt did, except it is much quieter! Other than the suspension being more rigid because of the other stuff I did, you would never know anything was different. Now I just have the common problen that is the front end is sitting about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch higher than the rear end. I guess figuring that out will be my next project. I will be adding a Strano adj rear sway bar and possibly a Strange aluminum cover just for the hell of it. I also want to upgrade the shocks but am still undecided on what to get. Any suggestions on shocks and the ride height would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

congrats on your new setup dude! looks good
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Thanks bud!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thinkin about same rear for my z28 why did u have to cut lca brakets and will the stock torque arm work the the s60
Old 07-31-2012, 05:26 AM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Stock torque arm will work just fine. You dont cut the LCA brackets. If you get LCA relocation brackets, you will have to cut the e-brake cable brackets because the LCA relocation brackets will make that distance too wide for the e brake cable bracket as they are much thicker. If you get stock style LCA brackets on the rear I would venture to say that this would not be needed.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

someone correct me if im wrong but aren't you suppose to have the suspension loaded when welding SFC? Great looking set up you have there by the way. congrats.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Thats what I thought too from what I had read on here, I asked someone at MWC (Eric I think)when I ordered about that very issue. He said to NOT have it loaded because the subframe and everything else "twists and binds" (something to that effect) as soon as you load it. You want to weld/bolt SFCs in while everything is hanging free and uninhibited by wieght simply because that is where you want it to stay, rather than securing everything when it is loaded. It made sense to me so thats how I did it. I take MWC's word for it over some posts I see on the internet. The car drives tight and stiff, they way its supposed to from what I understand. Its not necessarily the comfiest, but I dont consider it "too much" or "unbearable". I can noticably tell that there is less flex in the car when you get on the throttle or brakes hard. Hopefully someone from MWC will chime in and clear this up. I have to regrets doing it on the lift, unloaded.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer to have the chassis in it's unloaded state for SFC install. The whole purpose of SFC is to resist chassis flex, so why would you install connectors after it's already loaded? The factory doesn't build the chassis with it loaded...

bOb you are missing about 6+ inches of weld on the rear connection point and some at the front where the floor cross brace goes over the top of the connector. This is one of the many benefits of the MWC true subframe connector is that thy are designed to have more weld contact area of any connector out there beside a thru-floor type.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have to pull up a lot of carpet to install the MWC SFCs properly?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice install. I"m still saving for my S60. BTW..Car looks pretty level to me. Just get you some shocks and be good to you.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you already put the stranos on the front? Mine is def a little lower in the front (ignore sig pic, pro kit FTL)

As far as shocks, I don't have much to compare... after reading people rave about konis I decided to get the single adjustables, and have no complaints at all
Old 08-05-2012, 04:40 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well my mind is completely BLOWN right now. Eric, what you said makes perfect sense, yet it contradicts EVERYTHING I've ever heard. It just so happens I'll be getting my SFC's from you guys as well.....
Old 08-05-2012, 05:59 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bill12690
Did you already put the stranos on the front?
No I didnt already have them, I did them all 4 at the same time when I instealled the S60. I think it is settling in the front a little bit to be honest. It looks more level now than when I took tohose pics. I havent measured yet though to confirm whether or not it has..

Originally Posted by ssvert99
bOb you are missing about 6+ inches of weld on the rear connection point and some at the front where the floor cross brace goes over the top of the connector.
Can you elaborate on the area that I missed? Maybe a close up pic of one welded properly? The welds going around the 3 sides of the end of the connector are the only places where the SFC makes contact. Without adding a shim to weld to there wasnt any other place to weld to on the rear of the SFC where its in contact with the body/subframe.. ??

Thanks

Last edited by b0b; 08-05-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Congrats. A lot of good hardware there. That being said....seriously on the bum *** stock shocks. LOL. I would have thought even some stock style replacements would do some good there. Get the most out of those springs. But seriously it looks awesome and the benefits speak for themselves.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:11 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Yes lol I know Im talking shocks with Carl now. Probably Strange single adj or similar
Old 08-05-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b0b
No I didnt already have them, I did them all 4 at the same time when I instealled the S60. I think it is settling in the front a little bit to be honest. It looks more level now than when I took tohose pics. I havent measured yet though to confirm whether or not it has.
I didn't mean to ask if you already had them on, I just meant to ask if you'd put them on since the pics or not.. Totally missed the front suspension pic.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice work. Looks great
Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by b0b
Yes lol I know Im talking shocks with Carl now. Probably Strange single adj or similar
Nice. I have heard a lot of good about the strange shocks. I need to start looking into a coilover setup myself.

Quick Reply: S60 Finally In!!! Thanks go to CRP, Strano, UMI, MWC, WS6Store (Lots of pics)