Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Wheel Wobbling When Driving?

Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Wobbling When Driving?

So I have posted on here before that there is a loud rubbing sound coming from my rear end when I am driving (Sounds like rotors rubbing, but not the case.) It gets worse when I apply the gas and has been going on for almost 2 years now.

I was told to adjust my parking brake but have not yet considering I only drive the car about 60 miles a week and just have been busy with work.

Well today I drove it to work and someone at a light said my rear passenger wheel is wobbling slightly when I am driving. The lug nuts are tight and secure.

What could be causing this, I never had an issue like this before?

I really need to address this asap.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bent wheel or bent axle flange. Pretty much the only thing that can cause a wheel to wobble. Your parking brake is self adjusting, but I get what they mean. Just use it at few times while your rolling to clean the inner surface of the rotor off. I'd keep the button pressed down and yank on it a few times at neighborhood speeds. Should clean off the parking brake shoe surface...
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Bent wheel or bent axle flange. Pretty much the only thing that can cause a wheel to wobble. Your parking brake is self adjusting, but I get what they mean. Just use it at few times while your rolling to clean the inner surface of the rotor off. I'd keep the button pressed down and yank on it a few times at neighborhood speeds. Should clean off the parking brake shoe surface...
So here is some more info to the situation.

4 years ago when I was in college I was driving around/messing around campus late at night and hit a curb pretty damn hard that caused the same rear passenger rim to crack.

It was a very hard impact, I bought a new rim but the car drove fine, no sound.

That was fall of 2008, This sound just started I would say Spring-Summer 2010. Does that make sense? I don't understand why this would not make noise from the start of the incident.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Definitely sounds like a bent axle or axle flange - after a hit like that, I would put goo money on it. The only reason I can think of for it not making the noise right away is perhaps after driving it, it has somehow gotten worse. Should be able to jack it up and remove the wheel then put it in gear and let it spin (while on jackstands) and you should be able to see the culprit a little easier, whether the axle flange or axle itself. Make sure you block the front wheels good to keep it from rolling off the jack stands.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by User Name Here
Definitely sounds like a bent axle or axle flange - after a hit like that, I would put goo money on it. The only reason I can think of for it not making the noise right away is perhaps after driving it, it has somehow gotten worse. Should be able to jack it up and remove the wheel then put it in gear and let it spin (while on jackstands) and you should be able to see the culprit a little easier, whether the axle flange or axle itself. Make sure you block the front wheels good to keep it from rolling off the jack stands.
I hear that,

If it is a bent axle, How much do you think it would cost for parts and labor?

This sucks I was looking to sell this car soon to buy a C5ZO6 and now I'm going to drop some serious cash just to sell it. I don't know if it is worth selling anymore.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

If it still has the 10 bolt in it I would try to find a good used one. Because paying for the replacement parts and someone to put it together will probably cost more. Good used10 bolt should be $200-350
Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by User Name Here
If it still has the 10 bolt in it I would try to find a good used one. Because paying for the replacement parts and someone to put it together will probably cost more. Good used10 bolt should be $200-350
Really??

Yes I still have the stock 10 bolt.

Just for the hell of it, If I were to keep the car.

This would be the time to put a Moser 9' in it huh?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes sir. If you plan on keeping it I'd upgrade for sure. If selling the car just get another 10 bolt and install yourself so you wouldn't be out much at all.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn this blows.

Well I will chime back in when I find out for sure in the next couple days.

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Wobbling When Driving?