Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end rebuild questions!? **update 10/3**

Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end rebuild questions!? **update 10/3**

Hello everyone!

I picked my dd up today from getting shocks, springs, rotors, pads, and alignment. The car rides 100x better, but the noise coming from the back of the car didn't go away. Before all the new parts, I experienced a metal clanking sound from the passenger rear. Me knowing nothing about auto repair, assumed it was due to the car being so low and scrubbing wheels. I had the shop take a listen and the guy told me it was the bearings in the rear end. I'm a little tapped this month after dropping an unexpected $1300 this week on my dd between parts and labor. I would like to attempt to rebuild my rear on my own before it breaks. I've only done simple work on my own like plugs, wires, oil change. I did some more advanced things in high school like transmission swap, and suspension work. But that was a long time ago and with the help of an instructor. Would a rebuild be something I can handle by myself? How long should it take assuming everything goes smoothly? Would I be able to reuse my gears if they don't look worn? And finally, is the ratech kit on ws6store for $108 everything I would need except for fluids?

I know that was a ton of jumbled info. I made this post from my phone. Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by Beastmode89; 10-03-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

A rear end can be rebuilt pretty easily if you know what you are doing...but it requires skill and special equipment such as a press, puller, slide hammer, pinion depth gauge, dial indicator, etc...

It could possibly be as simple as a passenger side axle bearing which wouldn't require the rear end to be entirely rebuilt. If all the noise seems to be coming from the end of the axle tube or near the brakes it may that simple. It needs diagnosed on a lift or at least the axles pulled.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If all you've done is oil changes I'd say this might be a tad over your head.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second 01ssreda4...you will need to buy a fair number of specialty tools and its going to take time to do it correctly. You don't want to do this on a DD that cannot stay down for awhile. IMO, rear end is the most difficult thing you can do aside from maybe balancing a rotating assembly or rebuilding a trans.

If you can find a known good replacement rear that would be significantly easier and requires no special tools...could probably be had for $300.

If it is an axle bearing you can probably borrow the seal driver, puller, and slide hammer from the parts store ..a 6' pipe (smaller diameter than axles) and bfh can also be used for removal and seal drivers are cheap.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys. I had no idea what I was about to get myself into. It's my dd, but I have 2 garages full of other vehicles to use lol and it could be down for a while, but I would just prefer to have it done quicker. I might buy the rebuild kit and have it done locally if I can find a good shop that doesn't charge too much in the Charlotte area.

Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:45 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Changing axle bearings are very easy and cheap. Considering you paid someone to change rotors and pads instead of doing them yourself, you shouldn't attempt a rearend rebuild. I have rebuilt mine and like the other guys said, you need special tools for setting up the gears. Not to mention, a lift isn't a necessity but makes a rearend rebuild so much easier.

I would say it's way more complicated than a tranny swap.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MFJ
Changing axle bearings are very easy and cheap. Considering you paid someone to change rotors and pads instead of doing them yourself, you shouldn't attempt a rearend rebuild. I have rebuilt mine and like the other guys said, you need special tools for setting up the gears. Not to mention, a lift isn't a necessity but makes a rearend rebuild so much easier. I would say it's way more complicated than a tranny swap.
I would like to clear something up. I'm a very skilled engineer. A rebuild would not be ''over my head'' I'm just sometimes lazy and like to pay to have work done if I'm too busy with work. I don't have the special tools required to rebuild the rear, and I understand now after reading a guide covering the procedure. I would however like to attempt to change the axle bearings sometime this week. Anyone have a link to a guide? Preferably with pics. Thanks guys!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beastmode89
I would like to clear something up. I'm a very skilled engineer. A rebuild would not be ''over my head'' I'm just sometimes lazy and like to pay to have work done if I'm too busy with work. I don't have the special tools required to rebuild the rear, and I understand now after reading a guide covering the procedure. I would however like to attempt to change the axle bearings sometime this week. Anyone have a link to a guide? Preferably with pics. Thanks guys!
My point was, to change rotors and pads takes all of 30 mins to do all 4. A rearend takes a lot longer,especially if done right. Reading on how it's done isn't the same as actually doing it either. Just getting the crush sleeve to actually crush is a pain without some sort of big *** wrench. Setting the preload correctly, setting the backlash, Shim and check, shim and check. I've done 6 rearends. If I had the money I would pay someone to do it
Whether it's over your head is up to you. Setting up a rearend is an art form.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

I had someone from a shop that was referred to me as ''specialized in rear ends'' take a listen today. The guy drove it for a few minutes and said that it sounded like the carrier bearings were pretty bad and about to come apart. I told him that I could get a rebuild kit for $108 and he said the labor on a full rebuild would be about $300. Does this sound like the best route/price? I'll get a second opinion tomorrow to confirm, but it doesn't sound that bad to me.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a smokin deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end rebuild questions!? **update 10/3**