Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3rd Gen 8.8 Hybrid Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3rd Gen 8.8 Hybrid Build

well after dragging my feet on a what seemed to be a shady deal, i missed out on a 3rd gen specific dana 44.

sooooo....i went back to my original 8.8 build plan.

picked up a 63k mile 2001 ranger axle with a trac-lok carrier (28 spline) and 4.10 gears. i'm going to cannabalize my 10 bolt out of my car and use a hiltsy ta mount and jegster adjustable torque arm.

this started out as a budget build, haha, but has slowly snowballed into more. the plan is to build and run it without a total overhaul to the center section, someday it will get rebuilt with 3.90 gears and carbon clutches. for now, the purpose is to get it rolling on a stout rear end for dyno tune and summer fun.

this build now includes interior sound deadening, a new panhard rod, lcarb's, and by the end of it, probably new exhaust and lca's.

8.8 cut down

10 bolt pulled out, my rh axle seal had been leaking for quite some time, the caliper looked like a tree stump......

the point of no return

10 bolt tubes "fitted" inside the 8.8, looks like its going to work!

at this point, i'm waiting on my lcarb's from founders and my truing rod from the machine shop to get this ol girl buttoned up. then i'll get the ta bracket burned on, paint it, and stick it back up under the car.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like a good plan - going with the Ranger 8.8. It must have 3" axle tubes, right? That's what I measured in the boneyard. And since the 10-bolt tubes are 2 5/8" they should slide in w/o spacers. Did you have the 10-bolt tubes machined? Glad to see you're using a truing bar. Nice work so far!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Subscribed!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Looks like a good plan - going with the Ranger 8.8. It must have 3" axle tubes, right? That's what I measured in the boneyard. And since the 10-bolt tubes are 2 5/8" they should slide in w/o spacers. Did you have the 10-bolt tubes machined? Glad to see you're using a truing bar. Nice work so far!!!
yeah, they are 3" tubes, i wanted to skip sleeves if at all possible and needed the 28 spline carrier so i could reuse my stock axles. i did not machine the 10-bolt tubes, i took a flap disc on the grinder to knock down the scale/rust. they slip fit very tight, i also had to knock down the seam inside of the 8.8 stubs. machining them would probably be a better way, but i'm comfortable going this route, especially with the truing bar. thanks for the kind words!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, with the alignment bar you'll be fine. The Ranger 8.8 is perfect for your hybrid. Good luck with the build.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

founders sent me an email today that my panhard bar and lcarb's have shipped. also received my jegster torque arm today. heavier and better quality than i expected. i'm a bit tempted to add in some crossbraces between the upper and lower bars...not sure.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

finished fitting the tubes in the housing this weekend. i had to put a good chamfer on the ends because the ranger tubes taper towards the housing end. when i was finished the clips dropped in like they should and everything looked to be on track. i started putting together the ta mount. hiltsy provides great instructions and all of the pieces are quality. that ranger housing is slightly different, but i don't think that will cause any issues.

still waiting on my truing bar, hopefully the machine shop gets things finished this week. i'm sure they are slammed, planting season and spring tillage is in full force here in north east ks.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry for the thread intrusion:

What was to door code on the ranger for the 4.10 posi carrier? Or how did you know it was a 4.10 posi? I'd like to wander our yard over here but I'm not sure the codes to be looking for for the various carriers Ford had...
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Sorry for the thread intrusion:

What was to door code on the ranger for the 4.10 posi carrier? Or how did you know it was a 4.10 posi? I'd like to wander our yard over here but I'm not sure the codes to be looking for for the various carriers Ford had...
print this off and take it with you....or add to your favorites in your phone.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html
Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

King among men.. Thank you, good sir!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
King among men.. Thank you, good sir!
no worries, glad i could help. haha, i packed that around with me for almost a year.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

my panhard rod and lcarb's came in from founders performance. i had a great buying experience with them. they even changed my order before it shipped with a custom request. very cool and you can't beat the price!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

received my fatmat rattle trap, so now i have all the pieces to the madness. if i could just find some uninterrupted time......
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

well like most things that involve wrenching, the weekend didn't turn out anything like i planned.....

while having a beer with my father-in-law on saturday night we realized the oxy torch was empty. so that pushed the ta burn in process by a week, and the machine shop still doesn't have my truing bar done.

regroup.

boxed in my lca's and painted them up

fitted up the lcarb's, decided not to weld them in until i can fit the rear on the car

here are some pictures of the ta mount

i also did some clearance work with the jegster torque arm. i may have to make a new mount for the rear end side. the one that comes with it looks like it may hit the tunnel.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

next project of the day was removing the interior. wow, not my favorite job.

i'm hoping this was from my first turndown that i fabricated. otherwise the cutout is getting moved!

i did get the back wall, tunnel, and the floors up to the firewall covered with fatmat. i forgot to take pictures. i've got some extra left need to plan out how much more i want to tear apart.

i've never been much of a loud stereo guy. my money has always gone towards go-fast parts. however, seeing as i don't want to pull the interior again, i will probably wire up sub/amp connections and just leave them unhooked and under the carpet. that way if i ever decide to go that route, i don't have to pull everything out again!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

the rear is back under the car for the first test fit!

pics of the truing bar and discs

here are some pictures of the hybrid all together...need to finish burning in the lcarb's and fabricate a new mount for the torque arm to move it more towards the passenger side of the car.

i will get everything mocked up with the ta mount, and then pull the rear end to put in a new pinion bearing and seal, clean and paint, install axle bearings and beat on it!

on a side note, i may have to go back to my 3" steel driveshaft(or have something made), i don't think there will be room for my nice aluminum unit and the jegster torque arm.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SUBSCRIBED! If you would like to sell your truing bar or give me the measurements let me know.

Also, how did you 'clock' the tubes to the housing? I plan on attempting an 8.8 conversion this winter since my 10 bolt is on borrowed time after my H/C swap.

Last edited by maxpower_454; 05-08-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by maxpower_454
SUBSCRIBED! If you would like to sell your truing bar or give me the measurements let me know.

Also, how did you 'clock' the tubes to the housing? I plan on attempting an 8.8 conversion this winter since my 10 bolt is on borrowed time after my H/C swap.
not sure what i'm going to do with the bar yet....make me an offer.

i set the pinion angle to 0*. then took the angle of the spring perches and tops of the brake backing plates.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

update time.

work on the car has been slow. end of the school year for the kids with lots of activities, and with spring/summer upon us, taking care of the yard has been a priority.

i did finish fab'ing up the mount for the jegster torque arm. so things should go a little quicker now. this has been holding me up more than anything, now i can finish installing all the jegster stuff and get the rearend pulled back out to set up the gear, check over the welds, install axle bearings and seals, and paint.

on a side note, my aftermarket 3.5" aluminum driveshaft does not give me enough clearance for the jegster mount up front....definitely bummed about this, time to get a denny's i guess.

i had to do some clearancing for the 8.8 yoke that goes on the driveshaft. the pinion flange itself has ample cleanrance, but the yoke has extra hanging outside of the flange.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

long weekend, for doing domestic stuff! lots of landscaping and yardwork this weekend.

made it to the garage on monday for some wrench time.

got the jegster torque arm completely installed. checked all of my clearances and only had 1 place that needed some extra room. good lord that rearend is heavy with everything on it.

i had all intentions of getting my interior put back in yesterday, but an unexpected trip to town for an air drill and some flat washers ate up an hour of my time....kids' ball games started at 6, so i had to hang up my spurs for the day.

i did get the rearend pulled back out from under the car, it will go in this week to get the gear setup. then i'll finish weld it, install the axles, and paint it up.

still working on the driveshaft issue.

pic of the fatmat in the car

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen 8.8 Hybrid Build