Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Squeak/ Grinding noise from rear end

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak/ Grinding noise from rear end

I have an 01 A4 Camaro Coupe. Recently when I shift into reverse turn the steering wheel and start accelerating backward I hear a loud squeaking/ grinding noise coming from the middle of the rearend and can't seem to find what it is? Could it be a worn axle or carrier bearing? Anybody know what it could be?
Old 05-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Anybody??
Old 10-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Default Same here

I have the same thing happening on my 96 Z28 right now. Did you ever figure it out?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

go into a big empty lot and drive a tight circle to the left then one to the right. do 2 or 3 of each. see if that helps
Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by farmington
go into a big empty lot and drive a tight circle to the left then one to the right. do 2 or 3 of each. see if that helps

Thanks, I'll try that. It's raining good tonight so I'll try tomorrow. Does something get out of alignment that causes this to happen? I just bought it in April, and it's my first f-body. Can't believe I waited so long to buy one.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Sounds like a dry bearing, Carrier or u-joint. The reason it makes the noise while turning in tight radius is because it takes a lot more force to get a car to move in a circle that it does in a straight line. If it's a u-joint you can usually look at the area around bearing cap seal and see light rust or metal particles. Here is what a dry u-joint sounds like, If left dry to long the needle bearings will fall out so you'll hear a clank when going between drive at reverse and back to drive.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Sounds like a dry bearing, Carrier or u-joint. The reason it makes the noise while turning in tight radius is because it takes a lot more force to get a car to move in a circle that it does in a straight line. If it's a u-joint you can usually look at the area around bearing cap seal and see light rust or metal particles. Here is what a dry u-joint sounds like, If left dry to long the needle bearings will fall out so you'll hear a clank when going between drive at reverse and back to drive.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erlGGs_O3KE
That's definitely not the noise I am getting. It's definitely a deeper noise than that and only happens when backing up out of my driveway. My driveway does have a moderate grade to it.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an axle bearing to me.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with the ujoint especially because its when your in reverse

Quick Reply: Squeak/ Grinding noise from rear end