Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange S60 - No warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Strange S60 - No warranty?

So I think I have finally gotten over the sticker shock of replacing the rearend in my TA.. I was going for the S60 as the price is ballpark and I want to put it in and forget about it.

BUT, no warranty? So for $3500 you buy a rearend and once it hits the truck its yours? Anybody had issues with these? I saw a thread on a Moser and even with warranty didn't look like they did much for the guy.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

If you were building/selling rear ends that you knew were going to be abused and pushed to limit,were you provide a warranty ? I don't think so.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Absolutely understood.. but that kinda hangs you out to dry if brackets are wrong, housing bad any other number of manufacturing defects.. Most warranties exclude abuse, but they have to be fit for their purpose.. I am not putting it in my F Body because I just want to add weight.

Trying to figure out if it is a gamble or do they at least stand behind THEIR issues.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Do they offer a warranty on their 12 bolt?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Far as I can tell the 12 bolt is no warranty either.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Warranty for product defect is different than covering issue caused by abuse or issues with shipping damage. Not one rear end manufacturer will cover gear whine but I don't know any that do not stand behind fit and finish. Not to be confused with these garage built rear end applications, you are risking your own life and limb purchasing from someone that probably has no insurance to cover catastrophic failure with their product.

Considering the S60 housing that has been sold by the thousands for the past ten plus years I can assure you that fit and finish will not be an issue. We sell 30-40 a year of them and not once has anyone said hey it does not fit into my vehicle for such and such reason.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

So to be clear there is no warranty on the Strange S60 through Strange themselves or any of their vendors, and the same for their 12 bolt? And Moser does offer a warranty on theirs? I think MWC offers one as well.

EDIT: Looks like MWC and I were posting at the same time. So it appears we are talking two different things here

Last edited by HCI2000SS; 02-09-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

So this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...nightmare.html is the one that got me worried..

Sounds like even with Warranty Moser wasn't standing up to their issues. Stuff happens in manufacturing we all get that, but expect a vendor to fix their mistakes. No way I would weld on their housing then that catastrophic failure MWC mentions would all be on me.. So what do you do? Throw it away?

I guess we roll the dice and see what happens..
Old 02-09-2018, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

So what I'm getting out of all this is their is a warranty of sorts with all the big names, but it's not so cut and dry. I think since they all basically operate under the same parameters, it might be best to go with whoever has the best rep, and with a rear that has the least issues. I my self was strongly considering the Strange S60 until i talked to DTS who is local to me. Now I'm not sure which way I'll go.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I've had customers who have received Moser rears that have had excessive gear whine, and Moser has covered it. Sometimes it is just the cut of the gear and is yet Moser has replaced them. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-09-2018, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder who offers the best overall warranty in the business, and on what particular rear along with that. Anyone?
Old 02-10-2018, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Had my Strange 12 bolt for a long time with no issues (other then my abuse). If I was purchasing a Strange rear end today, I wouldnt even consider needing a warranty. They make a good product, any manufacturing issues will be taken care of, and you probably will never break it. Not much to worry about.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTA
So this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...nightmare.html is the one that got me worried..

Sounds like even with Warranty Moser wasn't standing up to their issues. Stuff happens in manufacturing we all get that, but expect a vendor to fix their mistakes. No way I would weld on their housing then that catastrophic failure MWC mentions would all be on me.. So what do you do? Throw it away?

We would of made a situation like that correct. However the difference between a custom shop like us and a big shop is we are small enough to generally catch issues before they go out.

We may not be able to ship a completely assembled one in four days time but that would of never left the shop with the wrong shock brackets because our assembler (ME) knows what I am looking at.

I assemble every rear end that goes out this door and the owner assembles every center section. We are a small business a mistake after the order is gone is an issue we can not afford.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:59 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I dont believe there is warranty on any race parts. Some tried, but pulled it back after the inevitable. Why most ask?

If you aint breaking? You aint racing.

Its part of the game you either accept that fact going in or let it eat you up. Reputation matters and there are issues with even the best operations. Heck the Space shuttle has crashed a couple times with unlimited budget so be realistic, have respect, and any "real" issues are usually taken care of by any real operations. Strange is as real as it gets. Solid rep

What more can you ask for in the game of go fast? Top fuel guys rebuild their engines after every pass. The faster you go, the more your going to break. Pretty simple
Old 02-14-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

It's really HARD to break a strange 60 though. I mean put it in your sherman tank and maybe there's a concern, but that S60 is so tough, I'd have to be in 1500HP territory to worry about it
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

As I said reputation speaks for itself. Wanting a fool proof money back guarantee on a proven race part beyond that? Seems a bit off base for anyone in this game. Its natural to want more, everyone wants more. The reality is you need to at some point decide for yourself, and live with those decisions, and understand nothing is perfect and even a 60 can and will break. We've done in a couple front 60's in mud trucks ourselves. It happens

Would I personally worry about a 60 out back? nope.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Guess I wasn't clear. Not looking for an LL Bean warranty on a rear end or any race part. But as mentioned earlier everyone makes mistakes and I just don't want to be the one holding a $3500 manufacturing screwup. That thread I linked to is the one that got me concerned. Moser HAS a warranty and wouldn't stand behind their work, a mis-welded drain plug? No amount of horsepower or installation error caused that. At least with a written warranty he had a leg to stand on in a legal battle. Personally I would not accept that workmanship and be expected to weld on their brand new housing..

All that said I guess reputation shopping is about all one can do and hope for the best.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:24 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

What I can tell you is this much. On a diff that I made for a guy many moons ago he had a complaint with some gear whine. He specifically asked for it to be quiet as part of the agreement going in so I stepped up. He lives approx 2.5hrs away from me and so I met him in the middle at a car show to diagnose and even though the whine was minimal, and only at 50mph or so, he was cool and decent so I worked with him to sort it out. I bought another set of gears and drove to his place my dime and replaced them, at his house, in his garage. I humped all my tools, time and expense down there to help the guy. Unfortunately the diff still whined after this, and he did not inform me, took it to another shop, to try and reset the install and they screwed it up so bad ( zero backlash ) the gears munched. At this point he reached out and the only thing left was the housing itself so I fabbed up another completely fresh housing on MY DIME drove it down to the guy, removed his diff from his car, replaced and reinstalled all the parts and got him happy. I did keep and resell the original housing and gears which are living very happily in a friends boosted car now and run quiet too after a few thousand miles it settled in. THe moral of this story is WHY did I do all this for some guy I never met before he bought a diff from me?

Because he was very cool, respectful, and worked with me to resolve it with no yelling, blaming or threats. This is how you get good service, you have to be a good customer

Anyone who yells, threatens or demands anything from me or likely anyone else? Good luck with that.

As for a leaky weld? If your so thick to let an entire DIFF worth of lube drain out without noticing? Your a danger to anyone on the road and yourself and have no business in a hi-perf car imo. The mess and stink would be everywhere not to mention the slick tire spin out danger or oiling the track etc etc etc. All the while a dab of silicone to seal it was all that was needed?

Now if the guy sent the part back to Moser with an explanation? Im sure it would have been fixed pronto. What does he expect them to do? Fly the whole car back to Moser to repair a leaking weld which is more common than you think.

Expectations exceeded imo/

Then theres the REAL story. The one that isnt biased by a guy who broke a part. What really happened? Is this someone who has lies to cover up, or an agenda to serve? Do you know this person complaining? Do they have a history of "blame" situations? This type of thinking can go on and on and on and thats why you need to take things with a grain of salt and choose where and how you spend your money wisely. Even then, the best are not perfect and Forest Gump said it best. **** happens

Which brings me back to good customer attitude as above

good luck, hope some of this was of help
Old 02-14-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTA

I saw that thread previously. That thing was atrocious. My gut tells me that it didn't leave moser like that, that it was dropped along the way. How could you bend the axle flanges like that?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you I ordered an S60 and chromoly driveshaft through Midwest Chassis from Strange about 5 months ago now. It was 100% bolt in fit, just like stock...both were done and shipped to me in about 4 weeks tops. Very well packaged. There was only one issue.... the axles installed in the rear end were not the axles that MWC and I ordered. I shipped my stock brake backing plates to Strange to have a completely assembled rear end delivered to me. When installing, the brake rotor center bore was too small to slip over the protruded hub end on the axles. After a call to Strange they blamed it on MWC and said that they assembled it as MWC ordered it, and after speaking with MWC it was said that it was Strange's mix-up. It just was not nearly worth the time or effort to ship it back or disassemble it.. So I spent $60 at local machine shop to hog out the center bore on my rotors to 2.820 and then they slipped on just fine. All in all $60 is a drop in the bucket when it comes to a $3200 purchase. But it was annoying nonetheless. OTHER than that, the rear end is a piece of art and is bullet proof. I'm happy with my purchase.

Quick Reply: Strange S60 - No warranty?