Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

i think i broke the 8.8" rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy i think i broke the 8.8" rear end?

please read here for whole story---->
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/255174-downshifted-into-2nd-80mph.html

the above post happened about a month a go,but yesterday,i was driving at about 20mph and i heard a lound noise coming from rear end or something, i stopped and tried to roll the car slowley out of the way to pull on the shoulder, it rolled for a few feet and then stopped, the rear end locked or there was something blocking it from rolling any further, so i towed the car to the shop, and when i drove it there to show the mechanic what it was like, it drove fine, but it was making some noises like it used to (plz read the above post to get an idead of it). so what do you think i should do, open the rear cover to check for any broken gears or what?
btw, this is the 8.8" rear done by Craig from extreme chassis.
and if it's the ring and pinion, should i buy a gear set for a mustang?
thanks in adance
Old 01-10-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you may have some pieces floating aroung in there. Then when one get's between the ring and pinion it will lock up/or just make noise if it's a small enough piece. Pulling the cover is easy and cheap to determine if that is it.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drop the cover, tell us what you see, and send some photos.

Any 8.8 gearset will work - Ford Racing would be the most recommended.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might be surprised!!! I had a 10 bolt that started making popping sounds and it actually locked up for a few feet after a weekend of several sub 1.80 sixty foots. I just knew that there were some teeth missing somewhere. I went out and bought another rear from a guy {got lucky again,,, got one with 4.10s already in it}.

It didn't have brakes on it, so I went to pull my brakes off the old one and found that one of the bolt/nuts that hold the backing plate to the axle had loosened up and fell off into the rotor/backing plate assy.. It would bounce around in there till it got hung up between the backing plate and one of the three original bolts left,,,, then it would would lock up the wheel or make that popping sound.

I buggered up the nut pretty bad and made some bad marks on the backing plate but it was still plenty usable if I were to replace that one bolt and nut. I was a bit mad at first cause I went out and bought another rear but heck,,,, now I've got a perfectly good spare rear with 4.10s just waiting to be put in.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

maybe u chiped a tooth?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you pinion nut is tight mine loosened up and the pinion hits the carrier and stops it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Launching!

ok, took it to the dealer, and they took it apart, looks like it got something broken inside the brake assembly like a backing plate or something, also, the driver side axle shaft needs to be replaced.
now, i got a moser 31 spline (i think) when i got the 8.8" installed. so, the only option right now is to put the stock axle shaft back,
because i shipped the car overseas and we don't have moser dealers here, shipping would take some time from the US to my country, i would ship if i have to, but is it possible to put a stock axle in the 8.8" just temprory at leaset so i can drive the car untill i order a new 31 spline one from moser.
and if i order a new waxle, can i just get one side or do i have to order them for both sides so i don't mess with allignment or something.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NaSSty99
ok, took it to the dealer, and they took it apart, looks like it got something broken inside the brake assembly like a backing plate or something, also, the driver side axle shaft needs to be replaced.
now, i got a moser 31 spline (i think) when i got the 8.8" installed. so, the only option right now is to put the stock axle shaft back,
because i shipped the car overseas and we don't have moser dealers here, shipping would take some time from the US to my country, i would ship if i have to, but is it possible to put a stock axle in the 8.8" just temprory at leaset so i can drive the car untill i order a new 31 spline one from moser.
and if i order a new waxle, can i just get one side or do i have to order them for both sides so i don't mess with allignment or something.
Stock axle shaft won't work. It is a 26 spline, your 8.8 is either a 28 or 31 (most likely 31). Length is probably different too, given the wider spacing of the 8.8 diff.

You're going to have to order a replacement or put the old rear back in. Let us know how it goes !
Old 02-01-2005, 01:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You likely have bolt in axles anyway so there will be no way you can reuse a stock 8.8 or 10 bolt axle cause they are c clip with a totally different press on axle bearing. What happened to the axle? Seems odd that the axle is fried if something let go with the brakes. Did you inspect the damage yourself?

Quick Reply: i think i broke the 8.8" rear end?