Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is there a rear-differential cooler made for Manual LS1'S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Is there a rear-differential cooler made for Manual LS1'S?

I remember hearing a couple of years ago that there weren't any manufactured.

If not, I'm sure that members on here have fabricated it in some way; at least for road-racing

Could someone enlighten me as to what is needed to make a custom rear-diff cooler? Suggestions on parts to buy? Where to buy said parts?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need to run a differential cooler..... you really need to spend that money on replacing the mini truck differential that was a factory item in your chassis. But..... if you really have an inkling for using one, here are a few links to various manufacturer's of the components used on a professional level:

Your typical pile of parts:

A company that provides piece parts:
Oil pump

Oil cooler

A complete kit

Last edited by chicane; 10-24-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After I get done converting my car to a 6 speed I'm going to fab one up for the trans and rear using that pump.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

If you choose to run a cooler for both you'd be better off with a belt driven set up that runs off a pulley on the yoke 2 stage that would allow you to run ATF for the trans and gear oil for the rear end of course you'd have to run a 9 inch but that wouldnt be soo bad..
Old 10-24-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well....... you dont have to run a 9". I have done plenty of these on 10,12 bolts, DANA 44's, 60's, Coorporate 10.5's and a few others.

Besides, you will have to have a custom yolk made for the offset and spacing of any other diff to utilize a belt driven unit. But I will say it would be much eaiser to mount it on a torque arm than on a chassis that doesnt already have that appendage.

Hey Harly, Tito says what up!
Old 11-17-2005, 03:30 AM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by chicane
You dont need to run a differential cooler..... you really need to spend that money on replacing the mini truck differential that was a factory item in your chassis. But..... if you really have an inkling for using one, here are a few links to various manufacturer's of the components used on a professional level:

Your typical pile of parts:

A company that provides piece parts:
Oil pump

Oil cooler

A complete kit
Looking at the pump and cooler price separately that kit seems priced pretty high. If one buys the pump and cooler separately, is the plumbing the only thing needed to finish the rest of the kit?

I'd rather piece it together and give a shop a few hundred dollars to fabricate it for the rear and tranny then spend almost $2K on a single kit.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder how much you could improve things by just
(say) bending aluminum sheet into fin-pairs and using
thermally-conductive epoxy to attach them to the
flatter spots on the pumpkin & maybe axle tubes.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Dragon
Looking at the pump and cooler price separately that kit seems priced pretty high. If one buys the pump and cooler separately, is the plumbing the only thing needed to finish the rest of the kit?

I'd rather piece it together and give a shop a few hundred dollars to fabricate it for the rear and tranny then spend almost $2K on a single kit.

Yeah..... the kit price is a joke, or it should be thought as one. If one were to piece their own kit together, they could do it for much cheaper. More like around 450.00 all inclusive.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

im goin to be dealing with some sort of rear diff cooler fairly soon too. in ORR, the diff temps get a little high. i want a setup like Racehead has on his T/A, but idk how to properly build it. do yall have any installed pics of a rear diff cooler?

Quick Reply: Is there a rear-differential cooler made for Manual LS1'S?