Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

slight high pitch wine...........

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default slight high pitch wine...........

just did rear end swap from 3.23 to 3.73 and there is a little high pitch wine when you're coasting .You mash the gas and it dissapears or you let off and it's gone ,no loud noise or grinding anytime.It's a little speed sensitive when you're at 60-90 is when you hear it.I've been told we didn't seat the ring gear correctly with spacers.Any info?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Backlash might be set too tight, what was your reading? should not be tighter than .008 and no looser than .010.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BAD86Z28
Backlash might be set too tight, what was your reading? should not be tighter than .008 and no looser than .010.
Backlash?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To agree with the others,from what I have learned, you need to check the backlash. Good luck with it!
Old 11-19-2005, 12:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by hunterdawgs
Backlash?
Clearance measured on the ring gear with a Magnetic base and a dial indicator.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BAD86Z28
Depends on what kind of gears he has. Richmond calls for .006, however my motives were .008.

You also may want to use some gear paint and see how the pinion is contacting the ring gear. It may be too deep, or too shallow.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let the tooth pattern give you the final answer. Do not get hung up on a particular number for the backlash. It is only one part of your adjustment anyway. Depending on the gears set, brand and diff type I had rears this week set from .004 to .014 on the lash. Again the pattern is what really matters.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DynoDR
Let the tooth pattern give you the final answer. Do not get hung up on a particular number for the backlash. It is only one part of your adjustment anyway. Depending on the gears set, brand and diff type I had rears this week set from .004 to .014 on the lash. Again the pattern is what really matters.
thats the secret to quiet gears...plus more lash lets more oil in between the gears.Its no good to set the lash @ 6 and not have the pattern close.6...why does everyone go for 6????another important setting MOST PEOPLE FK UP is the carrier preload.......if its not right its gonna cause a whine when you're on the gas and when you let off the gas from the carrier moving around.MEASURE IT! with a in lb torque wrench.After the pinion is in you can add the carrier bearing preload to the readings you got and know what preload the carrier is set at.Its probably THE MOST OVERLOOKED SETTING in there!EXAMPLe i had my car at the dealer for a pinion seal-new carrier..i get the car back and there is a slight whine while accellerating and decellerating.......yep you guessed it...carrier bearings too loose.NEXT time new dealer put a pinion seal in the wrench thought he was doing me a favor by resetting the carrier bearing preeload while he was ib there...EXCEPT the dumb fk didn't understand how to add up the pinion+carrier preload...he thought you aDD it together WRONG...ended up so tight it fried both bearings.Of course you can't tell a dealer people ANYTHING....they were taught everything they know ya know.
when measuring the carrier preload you need to add the ring-pinion into the equation...so you end up with something like this...pinion preload =25inlbs carrier preload=30 inlbs...observed reading at the pinion=32 inlbs...GET IT??? i hope so.The ring-pinion has a mechanical advantage over the carrier so for example an input of 7 inlbs can turn the carrier bearings preloaded at 30inlb.