Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt rebuild - carrier removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt rebuild - carrier removal?

How do I get the carrier out of my rear diff? I've got the bearing caps off, pinion nut and yoke off, everything is out.

It's suppose to "fall out", but that's a pipe dream. Is there any tricks to this at all? I don't want to hammer on the pinion splines, as that'll just be hitting the gears against each other... any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming of course the c clips are removed and axles are pulled out, take a prybar or a good sized wooden dowel and carefully pry the carrier out
Old 12-09-2005, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah what guitsboy said
Old 12-09-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i used the super oversized craftsman screwdriver, braced it against the side of the housing on the ring gear side, stuck her under the ring gear, and pried it out. piece of cake, i was frustrated as you were. good luck
olly
Old 12-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Teching In

I've tried running a coat hanger through the cross shaft hole, then tying it up above, and using a 4' breaker bar, with the tip on a block of wood to try and lever it out.... no dice. I can lift the entire assembly off the sawhorses by the carrier, and it doesn't budge.
Then I straddled the axle tube to hold it down, and reefed on it, and broke the coat hanger....

do these just fall out for everyone else???
Old 12-12-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt say that they just fall out. Theyre usually hammered in witha rubber mallet to seat the bearing caps and shims. Prying it out is the way to go. The axles are out, bearing caps are off and theres nothing else holding it in, right?
Old 12-13-2005, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could try heating it up a little with a heat gun...that might help it pry out.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Teching In

yea, axles out, caps were off, but I put them on with the bolts in 4 threads or so, so the carrier wouldn't fly out and hit me in the head or something.
It is kinda cold in the garage, I might try leaving a heater right below it, and heat it up good, then a heat gun as well....
Old 12-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Teching In

They don't "just fall out". You do have to pry them out. If it just falls out, your backlash would be wrong and you probably didn't have enough carrier bearing shims.
What we do is get a short crow bar with a flat end. Turn the carrier so the openings face the top and the bottom of the rear end housing. Carefully put the crow bar inside the carrier casing, but NOT on the spider gears or anything else. It will pivot on the rear end housing. One person holds on to the carrier and the other hits the end of the short crow bar with a 2 lb hammer. Sometimes, it takes a couple of pretty firm blows. The person who holds the crow bar and hits it, has the hard job. It will hurt your hands if you don't wear gloves. Be sure to hold on to the carrier. It can come out quickly and hit the floor.
Good luck and buy a 12 bolt or 9" next time.