Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

BAD Gear Whine.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BAD Gear Whine.

I posted about this right after I got my 4.10s put in, and I think only one person out of about 10 or 12 said they had a silent rearend. Here is my problem. My rear whines enough that it makes my car sound like ****. Anyone who rides in it goes "whats that". I think when I say I hear whine people think its just a faint pitch. Not the case. I have it on accel and decel...and if I roll into it on the highway its strong....and on decel on the way down below 15MPH I get a wer wer wer wer wer sound. Bottom line is...Richmond says it normal, Myself as well as my tech think its too loud. But his measurements are right on, and he has done many rear ends. Any advice. The noise makes me hate my car.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richmonds "roar" not whine. Whining = bad install or bad bearing.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Im not sure what you are calling a "roar"..Its almost got that sound u would get in reverse on some lil honda stickshift or something. But the low speed deeper gear sound. Not so much high pitched. Im awful confused because like I say...I know the guy who put them in. And when he installed them and heard that he opened it back up and everything still looks and measures out O.K. and It was a new bearing and install kit. So there shouldnt be anything wrong in theory....everything from labor to parts should be fine.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

By the way that Vette.....^^^^
Old 08-20-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.

It's so hard to say without actually being in the car, because one person's description of a noise can be completely different from the next guy

What I mean by roar...I think that's the best way to describe the noise. It's kind of a low-pitched growl I guess...there isn't any whine, though. Maybe he preloaded the pinion bearings a little too much, and that is causing the noise...

I guess as long as he says he did it right and it measures out ok, you should just get used to it...if the noise gets any worse might want to reconsider setting it up again, or going to a quieter gear.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Launching!

I had a set of Richmond 4.10's in a stock rear for almost a year before it finally broke and I had some whine.If the radio was on it disappeared
Old 08-20-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Richmond is notorious for noisy gears and has been for many many years. Learn to live with them or go with another brand.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

I'll just deal with it I guess. I am not really upset about it if its "normal". And like my tech said...if the noise changes I should worry, because it means something is moving. But the noise is the same as day one. I guess thats the price I pay for the dig that 4.10s can give me.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Veteran

once your rear end starts "clucking" like the other guy's then you got a problem